Electrical problem, need some suggestions.

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
Well, I went to a concert tonight here in Los Angeles and it was pretty good. Had a few drinks, met some girls, etc.. Anyways, the only parking available at the concert when we arrived was valet and I NEVER trust valet guys. I got my car back after the show and after about 1 minute I noticed my red battery light flashing every now and then.. I drove the car about 5 minutes then shut it off in front of my friends house. Just as I thought, the car wouldnt start. :bash:

So, here are the symptoms... The car wont turn over and I just hear a clicking sound. Tried to jump the car and no dice. The headlights and interior lights don't seem dim at all so I don't think it's the battery. I tried to "pop-start" the car and it started no problem. After starting it and driving for 5 minutes, the red battery started to flash again.. It's not like a repetitive blinking, more like a wire loose and something touching every now and then to set the light off.

Any help or suggestions are welcome and appreciated!!!!! :beer: :beer:

-Aaron

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
Its either a bad connection at the battery/ground or a bad battery. Try cleaning the terminals on the battery.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Bl4ckedoutc0bra said:
...Should I just pull the battery and bring it by Autozone to test?...

Yes, either that or hook it up to a volt/ohm-meter. Do you still have the original battery under the hood?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Battery man. Its toast. Optima or a GOOD wet lead acid.

MT-58 will go nicely with its green top with your black car. 24 months free replacement and 75 months prorated.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
COBRABRAD said:
Voltmeter Reading State of Charge
12.84 Volts or higher 100%
12.50 Volts 75%
12.18 Volts 50%
11.88 Volts 25%

Good call. A hydrometer is a quick and easy way to double check.

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
Thanks so much for all of the replies! Since my car is not able to be driven, should I pull the battery and bring it to Autozone to have tested? Or, do you all think it may be the starter?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I highly doubt its the starter. Pull the battery and go to Vatozone and have it tested.

Bonus if you can get to an Interstate distributorship and have them test it on an ED-18.

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
I had to tow the car to a local shop. I had AAA come out and they tested the battery. We tried jumping the car off their F350 turbo diesel but no luck. The shop said it's the starter because the car makes a clicking sound but doesn't get enough juice.

Any idea on the approximate cost of getting a start replaced on these cars? Also, what's the best to go with? I was going to stick with Ford but didn't know of anything better.

Thanks again for all the help! :)

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
A really dead battery will not jump start. The "clicking" is the solenoid. It's possible it's a bad solenoid but less likely than a dead battery. Did they test the battery with a proper tester?? If not, I'd be a little leery.

Hope you get it sorted out?? Did you check your mileage when you let the valets have your car?? Maybe they took a bit of a joyride with it?? I agree with you - I HATE letting my car go with valet only parking.

Good luck.

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
OldSVTGuy said:
A really dead battery will not jump start. The "clicking" is the solenoid. It's possible it's a bad solenoid but less likely than a dead battery. Did they test the battery with a proper tester?? If not, I'd be a little leery.

Hope you get it sorted out?? Did you check your mileage when you let the valets have your car?? Maybe they took a bit of a joyride with it?? I agree with you - I HATE letting my car go with valet only parking.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help! Yes, I did check the mileage before valet and they only drove .3 miles luckily. Also, they sent a car out with some workers to help me even though I was 10 minutes away so I can't be too too mad. :)

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Before you spend money on a starter make sure the battery is tested with a load on it. A bad battery can show a full charge without a load on it. The minute you put load on it though it won't do jack.

I'd be leary about the shop telling you it's the starter right off the bat. Especialyl if they themself didn't check the battery or alternator first.

Ever car I've had that has had a battery run down would "click" the solenoid.

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
Torch10th said:
Before you spend money on a starter make sure the battery is tested with a load on it. A bad battery can show a full charge without a load on it. The minute you put load on it though it won't do jack.

I'd be leary about the shop telling you it's the starter right off the bat. Especialyl if they themself didn't check the battery or alternator first.

Ever car I've had that has had a battery run down would "click" the solenoid.

Torch,

I greatly appreciate your help man! I paid $41 for an electrical system check and they said it was the starter. If it turns out to be the battery, I'm not paying for the starter. Also, if they toss in some shit battery, which I doubt they will do, I'm not paying for that either. If I do end up needing a battery Optima here I come!!!

Thanks again for the help bro!

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Its probably 2 hours of labor for them to change the starter.

It would only take a little more to remove the 3 bolts yourself.

I will paypal you $1 its not the starter.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
I had almost the same problem once. the alternator was gone and the battery didn't load anymore. made that same klicking noise when trying to start it. had to fully charge the battery and replace the alternator. just an idea to check the alternator to

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
They called me and said the battery is dead. Also, the new Motorcraft starter they got was supposedly bad because it continued to click once and no zoom zoom. We'll see what they say next. :(

Users who are viewing this thread