electric water pump

mustangman36578

Established Member
My car is becoming more of strictly a track car. hardly drive it on the street anymore. This summer I am possibly doing a manual steering/manual brake swap. ac has been deleted for a while now so the water pump would be the only thing driven off the inner belt so I am thinking of doing an electric water pump but I am a little skeptical about it (belt driven one is obviously more reliable). I did a search for electric water pumps and found mixed reviews about it. has anyone heard of or done a custom belt routing for only the water pump with out having idlers for everything else? also i will open it up for discussion what is your opinion on electric water pumps?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Look up the flow capacity of both pumps.:nonono:

If it is primarily a drag car it won't be much of a disadvantage, in fact you can run it while the engine is off, which the drag guys love.

However for a street car it flows at one rate all the time and that rate is not what the stock pump flows. At high rpm the stock pump is moving a lot of fluid and the engine is making a lot of heat.

mustangman36578

Established Member
being able to run it with the engine off is the main thing I like about it. i already have the supercharger cooler pump hooked up that way so being able to do both would be awesome. the constant one set flow rate is what i dont like. if only it could be set up like the fuel pump where as rpms rise, more voltage is sent to the pump allowing more flow rate...do you know what the flow rate can get up to of the stock pump? im having a hard time finding it.

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
Look up the flow capacity of both pumps.:nonono:

If it is primarily a drag car it won't be much of a disadvantage, in fact you can run it while the engine is off, which the drag guys love.

However for a street car it flows at one rate all the time and that rate is not what the stock pump flows. At high rpm the stock pump is moving a lot of fluid and the engine is making a lot of heat.

What are the flow specs on the stock pump (rate and rpm)? I agree that if the engine was intended for endurance racing, road course racing, etc., a mechanical pump would be better suited to the application. However, the Meziere has no difficulty keeping my ECT's below 210 *F while flogging my street car through the twisties on hot days. Typical cruising temps are ~188 *F, and typical temps while heavy on the loud pedal are ~196 *F. That's with a 180 *F tstat.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
For a drag car an electric water pump makes sense. Even better, disable the alternator prior to launch to eliminate the drag the motor will impose on the alternator which will be the same as the belt driven pump as long as the fuel pumps can handle the voltage drop of not having the charging system in the loop.

For a street car the belt driven pump makes more sense.

Users who are viewing this thread