Eibach Pro Kit vs H&R Race Springs?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I don't know which version they were, but I had Eibachs on my 98 GT and currently have them on our 06. They're red in color. I'm not impressed with either set. My 04 had the H&R Race springs when I bought it. It handled well and rode decent.

Just remember lower doesn't always mean better handling. In my experience the Eibachs run a little on the soft side.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

shurur

Established Member
H&R race are essentially linear in the front and linear in the rear. Eibachs seem to be more like H&R sports..progressive.
So H&R will handle better, but ride will be tauter.

There is a table somewhere..EDIT guess i made one myself..

H&R Race F:750-850 R:260-280 1.25 1.00
Eibach Pro-Kit F: 450-570 R: 650-820

IRS Spring Rates:
• 2000 Cobra R F: 800 R: 750
• 2003/2004 Coupe F: 600 R: 600
• 2003/2004 Vert F: 500 R: 470
• Steeda Cobra F: 720-780 R: 650-790
• H&R Race F: 760-850 R: 770
• H&R Sport F: 700-760 R: 685
• Eibach Pro-Kit F: 450-570 R: 650-820
• Kenny Brown F: 725 R: 825

Last edited:

Dave.O

Established Member
H&R race is notable handling improvement over stock 03 coupe springs, drop was not really significant.
so if your target is handling go with H&R and a set of 03 coupe bilstiens all around. if you plan on tracking the car I would recommend something more aggressive, I'm likely going to switch to CO's in then nest year. H&Rs still have some brake dive and body roll which affect weight transfer and cornering speeds on track

Dave.O

Established Member
dimensionally all 99-04 IRS springs are interchangeable .
Where there might be an issue is with stock dampers, aggressive springs might lead to under damped stock vert shocks. Not sure if H&R would be too much for stock vert shocks. should not be an issue in the front

DarkRattle

Established Member
dimensionally all 99-04 IRS springs are interchangeable .
Where there might be an issue is with stock dampers, aggressive springs might lead to under damped stock vert shocks. Not sure if H&R would be too much for stock vert shocks. should not be an issue in the front
Yeah worded it out wrong, I know it fits just not if it would be ideal.

shurur

Established Member
You absolutely have to get shocks with race springs as the 99-01 oem IRS rear shocks will not physically handle lowering springs. It will actually crush them.

Wife wouldn't let me get shocks..so I crushed mine...wish I took pics!!..they were bent..AND because of the spring rate increase almost any front lowering spring you get will make short work of the oem strut over time..but you can live with it for a time...ask me how i know;-)..they will let you know by groaning and popping like ball joints do.

Last edited:

DarkRattle

Established Member
You absolutely have to get shocks with race springs as the 99-01 oem IRS rear shocks will not physically handle lowering springs. It will actually crush them.

Wife wouldn't let me get shocks..so I crushed mine...wish I took pics!!..they were bent..AND because of the spring rate increase almost any front lowering spring you get will make short work of the oem strut over time..but you can live with it for a time...ask me how i know;-)..they will let you know by groaning and popping like ball joints do.
I'm guessing the H&R sport will be fine though?

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you have the budget you should seriously consider coilovers. I've had cut stock springs, Eibachs, and H&R's. The cut springs and H&R's were with Bilstein shocks/struts. I love my coilovers. I've adjusted the height quite a few times to get it dialed in. And the ride and handling really is much better than the conventional spring set up.

DarkRattle

Established Member
If you have the budget you should seriously consider coilovers. I've had cut stock springs, Eibachs, and H&R's. The cut springs and H&R's were with Bilstein shocks/struts. I love my coilovers. I've adjusted the height quite a few times to get it dialed in. And the ride and handling really is much better than the conventional spring set up.

Honestly I'd love coilovers but for 1k plus for a set at the moment I REALLY can't do that lol.

DarkRattle

Established Member
I totally understand. That's why my 01 never had coilovers.

One day though for sure, my goal is to make the 99 run a 7 minute flat @ Nurburgring, maybe far fetched but if the ACR can do it, I don't see why a totally transformed 99 won't haha.

shurur

Established Member
j

just wondering, aren't most advertised struts for the front of stangs actually shocks? I mean don't struts have springs?

Because we have no upper control arms, struts are used along with the front towers on our cars for the structure of the front suspension as well as its other purpose as a shock.

The spring is mounted next to the rear shock and front strut...while the springs rest between the lower control arms and the front k member or rear irs frame for support.

COs (shock and spring) connect from lca to top of towers..putting pressure on the towers.

That is why some will argue that our cars are not designed to support COs.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
Exhausted yet? Sure gets interesting.

Racers will often weld the rear shock tower seams and weld/plate the upper front shock tower before going CO.

Having said all that I don't think it is a big deal or MM would have deal with it should they had seen it as a problem..

I did have my rear shock tower seams welded though....and have tower braces front and rear..

Last edited:

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I am not confident that the oem shocks will tolerate any lowering spring.
The 99-01 cobra oem shocks (and struts) were junk.

I've had the Eibach Pro Kit on my 01 for 15 years and it's been fine with the stock shocks and struts. No isolators either. Granted my car only has 60K on it but everything is still fine.

Users who are viewing this thread