EGR Deleted, Need to Reinstall Boost Bypass, Help needed Please

dgood86

Established Member
Ok, so i recently got my car back from the shop with a handfull of modifications: Full tilt irs, kooks exhaust, pulley swap, ect.

To the point: My mechanic offered to do a full EGR delete for me, and in doing so he also deleted my boost bypass valve and solenoid. From what i have read on here and a few other forums, the general consensus is that the boost bypass should not be deleted because you are risking excessive wear and heat on your engine when you cannot bleed off excessive boost while at little to no throttle.

I have the lifetime bama tunes from american muscle, and have my EGR deleted in my newest tune, but i still throw P0405 and P0243 Code, but i would assume that it is throwing both because the boost bypass solenoid is not there.

First question would be, is that assumption correct that it is better to have the boost bypass?

Second question is, how do i reinstall the boost bypass? How much work is it? Will it cost me anything or would i be able to do it myself at home? I still have all the parts, but my mechanic removed everything on the side of the blower.

Any help much appreciated,
thanks,
Dan

TRBO VNM

removing everything on the side, but leaving the bypass is fine and what I do all the time. the bypass is only held on by 2 bolts. install should take about 20 seconds and they are 10mm bolt heads.

basically, lift the blade arm, insert bypass rod, lower blade arm, bolt bypass to blower. before tightening the bolts, push the bypass down just a hair to apply a little preload.

run a vac line from the lower port on the back of the eaton to the top port of the bypass valve. that lower port is the boost port.

dgood86

Established Member
Thanks for the info, ill see if i can figure that out when i get home. Ill have to see where he routed the lines that were still on it. I would have put a picture on here of what is done to it but im at work till this afternoon. He did the block off plate on the back of the blower and removed everything on the side, ill see if i can put the boost bypass back on with the instructions you gave me.

Mr.Venom

Quick with Boltons
Established Member
Anybody have any pictures of cleaned up engine bays with the EGR delete and bypass still hooked up?

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
I'm getting the same codes and my tune has the EGR and BBV switches in #2 and #0 respectively. I recently deleted the BBV solenoid and EGR, but left the BBV hooked up with the lower port vented to atmosphere, and the top port to the lower port on the back of the blower. My tuner cannot finger out why the codes are continuing to show up.

dgood86

Established Member
I had my tuner adjust the tune, and it got rid of the P0243 code, and so i have the boost bypass solenoid and egr deleted, and apparently both are deleted in my tune, but now i am still getting the P0405 code.

dgood86

Established Member
EGRDelete005.jpg

EGRDelete002.jpg

dgood86

Established Member
So that cylinder looking thing on the back driver side is the BBV or what?

Yes, that is the bypass valve actuator, and from what i understand is that deleting the solenoid keeps the blower from bleeding boost off at full throttle, but still allows for some boost to be rerouted at little to no throttle to prevent excessive heat.

Someone can correct me if im wrong, my mechanic did the deletion for me. Just from what i have read online, is that you can delete the boost bypass completely (solenoid and actuator), but that doesnt allow the blower to re-route any boost and can cause excessive heat and possibly accelerated wear on the motor. I dont know how to do it myself, it still seems a little complicated, but you have to re-route multiple lines, and let the bypass vent into the atmosphere, or back into the blower again.

I just know that my valve and actuator is there, and the tuner just had to turn off the solenoid in the tune to get rid of the P0243 code.

I told him to turn off my EGR as well, but for some reason my car is still throwing a P0405 code, but im sure we will get that worked out in the tune somehow.

dgood86

Established Member
Yes, that is the bypass valve actuator, and from what i understand is that deleting the solenoid keeps the blower from bleeding boost off at full throttle, but still allows for some boost to be rerouted at little to no throttle to prevent excessive heat.

Someone can correct me if im wrong, my mechanic did the deletion for me. Just from what i have read online, is that you can delete the boost bypass completely (solenoid and actuator), but that doesnt allow the blower to re-route any boost and can cause excessive heat and possibly accelerated wear on the motor. I dont know how to do it myself, it still seems a little complicated, but you have to re-route multiple lines, and let the bypass vent into the atmosphere, or back into the blower again.

I just know that my valve and actuator is there, and the tuner just had to turn off the solenoid in the tune to get rid of the P0243 code.

I told him to turn off my EGR as well, but for some reason my car is still throwing a P0405 code, but im sure we will get that worked out in the tune somehow.

This might be wrong, but from the information i have been trying to piece together from multiple forums over the past week, its how i have understood it to work so far.

If i am wrong and someone understands it more than i, please correct me wherever needed, because id rather not sound like a total ass and pretend like i know exactly what im talking about. :??:

TRBO VNM

Ok, the reason I was asking basic questions is to see if you understood what you were talking about. I don't recall what the technical terms are for the individual items are and longer on the side of the blower that you deleted. Basically, I delete them and am done with it. I don't care what they are called. Lol. But the boost bypass valve, as typically called, is what is still on the side of your blower. You and others were saying you delete it, which is what I was questioning.

The way it is hooked up right now is correct, as long as that line going to it goes to a boost source which is on the lower port, rear of blower.

And actually, it is easy to hook it all up. Once you remove the eye sores, you are only left with a couple of items for boost and one for vac. You hook the top port of the bypass to boost, which actually sees vac while at idle or cruising. So it holds the valve open so that I bleeds off any potential boost that is created. Then once you build boost, that is applied to the valve and forces it shut. The same is done for the tvs, whipple and kb.

In regards to codes, not sure what to do in the software because I do not tune. But I never have a problem with the cars I delete this stuff on that Jon Lund tunes.

Last edited:

dgood86

Established Member
Ok, the reason I was asking basic questions is to see if you understood what you were talking about. I don't recall what the technical terms are for the individual items are and longer on the side of the blower that you deleted. Basically, I delete them and am done with it. I don't care what they are called. Lol. But the boost bypass valve, as typically called, is what is still on the side of your blower. You and others were saying you delete it, which is what I was questioning.

The way it is hooked up right now is correct, as long as that line going to it goes to a boost source which is on the lower port, rear of blower.

And actually, it is easy to hook it all up. Once you remove the eye sores, you are only left with a couple of items for boost and one for vac. You hook the top port of the bypass to boost, which actually sees vac while at idle or cruising. So it holds the valve open so that I bleeds off any potential boost that is created. Then once you build boost, that is applied to the valve and forces it shut. The same is done for the tvs, whipple and kb.

In regards to codes, not sure what to do in the software because I do not tune. But I never have a problem with the cars I delete this stuff on that Jon Lund tunes.

Ohh, well thanks, good to know. Yea a week ago when i first started the thread, i didnt realize what all the parts were, and thought the BBV itself was deleted. I thought my mechanic took too much off and i was going to have to reinstall some of that crap that was on the side of the blower, but i think mainly the problem was a miscommunication with my tuner.

I hear good things about Lund racing tunes, i get my tunes through bama performance at the moment. Im not sure if they are anywhere near as good as Lunds, but i got unlimited free ones with my SCT Livewire, so i couldnt complain about that, and i cant complain about how the car performs after the tunes. Just im having issues with them right now with this egr and bypass mod for my tune, but they are working with me and we seem to be slowly weeding out all the codes and i expect it will all be fixed soon enough.

TRBO VNM

Yeah, part of the reason I don't believe in these "lifetime" tunes that some places sell you on. If I gotta go back and forth this many times to get something like this ironed out, it isn't worth my time. Good luck and I hope they can get it right this next time.

Users who are viewing this thread