EGR delete Pros & Cons

Snake Plissken

Established Member
OP- What do you do about inspection when it comes time to renew plates? I'm in STL.

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I just cruise over to the ghetto lol. They pass just about anything. You don't even have to get out of the car. It's just honk your horn, flash lights, step on brake and sometimes turn signals. Hand him your slip, he fills it out and takes your $12 and off you go. It's not that my car won't pass... I don't think but if you go to a regular place they become dicks and start pulling off wheels and jacking with my car and it really pisses me off. Plus if you get a real douche they start bitching about window tint and that one just annoys the hell outta me. If the cops don't care and nobody else cars why the hell can't it pass inspection.

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
You don't have to remove anything at all to get rid of EGR. Mechanically under the hood can be left 100% alone. Just disable it in the tune and it's like it's not there. The reason for the EGR delete kits is for cosmetics under the hood.

I wonder if most tuners delete the EGR functioning in their tuning? :shrug: I never bothered to ask inquire about the EGR when I had my done. I'll need to see if I can take a look on my handheld SCT xcal.

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
from doing a little additional research, looks to be no need to disconnecting in the tune unless its removed, supposedly doesnt function at WOT.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
from doing a little additional research, looks to be no need to disconnecting in the tune unless its removed, supposedly doesnt function at WOT.

Right it only affects normal cruise. The reason people want to turn it off in their tune is because it's recirculating exhaust back into the intake/blower and heating up the blower/intake. It's mentioned several times in the thread already.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
I just cruise over to the ghetto lol. They pass just about anything. You don't even have to get out of the car. It's just honk your horn, flash lights, step on brake and sometimes turn signals. Hand him your slip, he fills it out and takes your $12 and off you go. It's not that my car won't pass... I don't think but if you go to a regular place they become dicks and start pulling off wheels and jacking with my car and it really pisses me off. Plus if you get a real douche they start bitching about window tint and that one just annoys the hell outta me. If the cops don't care and nobody else cars why the hell can't it pass inspection.

Gotcha, My buddy I've known since we were little kids in the early 60s is a tech at a dealer so he doesn't have a problem with the way my car is set-up. The EGR and PCV set-up falls under safety inspec., like he said, "hey, it was all there and correct when I inspected the car..;-). I have no controll after it leaves me." and I don't have to do emmisions (my area does emissions check) on my Cobra 'cause I drive less than 6,000 miles a year. <the politicians in MO did us a favor (for once..lol!)

Expurple

Established Member
After applying the short runner treatment to my intake, I was amazed to see how much gunk and whatnot was in EGR tract on the upper plenum.
It took me 5 minutes with a compressor and paint thinner to remove that stuff.

Overall I couldn't help but think that after a certain time that tract gets blocked completely or that crud will eventually enter my cylinders.

Does anyone know for a sure fact that this is for mileage or for emissions?

From my basic knowledge about Efi cars is that the cats need to get hot ASAP to lower emissions, injecting hot exhaust air back to heat the motor up will result in lower emissions due to the cats lighting up faster. But I do not think they will effect mileage whatsoever ever.

So anyone know for sure what the main EGR function is ?

Double-D

'03 10th Anniv. Cobra Cpe
Established Member
Washington State guy in a county that does "emission testing" every two years. They simply plug their computor into the car's OBD2 port to check whatever.

Question.... By pulling the EGR and disabling it in the tune, will that show up on the emissions test (that EGR is disabled) and cause a fail?

Anyone in my neck of the Liberal/tree hugging woods (Pierce County Wa) that has passed through smog test w/ EGR turned off in tune???

Sorry for the highjack.

DD

Users who are viewing this thread