Edumicate Me...Rupes and Flex.

RC-5.0

Established Member
The thing I LOVE about the 3401 is it's forced rotation. Many Rupes fanbois say that it takes less technique to use the 3401 - I completely disagree. If you don't have proper technique it will walk pretty hard on you. But with the right technique it's not only a sledge hammer it can also be a scalpel. It truly is a tool you can use for 90+ percent of the jobs out there. I use the PE-14 when I'm working on seriously hammered paint. I've used it on customers cars maybe a dozen times or so. It's a work horse for real. Amazing tool and gets the job done FAST. - I can't wait to get the PE8 so I can tackle the small spaces with greater ease.

Yeah, I watched the vids where it shows the "ease" of use if you keep it flat and how it walks if you don't. They say it "teaches" you proper technique. I can't wait to try it. I get mine tomorrow but can't use it till THursday.

Keep me posted on the PE8. I love mine for buffing out my coil covers.
RC

mcate

Established Member
I've borrowed a buddy's Rupes a couple of times, & fell in love with it. I've been doing a lot of research, & ordered a new machine yesterday. Not a Rupes, however. I went with the WS21 from Waxedshine. One of the detailing groups I'm on on Facebook had a long thread about long throw machines, & a guy posted who owns both a Rupes & a WS21. He said the WS21 is his go-to machine, & he listed several reasons why. (He owns a Flex too) I know it's one of the Chinese made "clones", but the guys at Waxedshine seem very helpful & I decided to give them a try. For $299 I'll get the machine, a carrying bag, a 6" backing plate, extra set of brushes for the motor, & 3 of their pads. Their 5" backing plate is under construction, & is expected to be available in a week or 2 at approx $19. I don't own a shop. I do my own cars, plus 15-20 a yr for customers. Once I get the machine & have a chance to play with it a few times I'll post my opinions on it if anyone is curious.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Yeah, I watched the vids where it shows the "ease" of use if you keep it flat and how it walks if you don't. They say it "teaches" you proper technique. I can't wait to try it. I get mine tomorrow but can't use it till THursday.

Keep me posted on the PE8. I love mine for buffing out my coil covers.
RC

For sure on the PE-8. I'm about to move to Colorado so I'm not sure how much detailing I'm going to do.

The biggest advantage the 3401 has over ALL other DA's is it doesn't bog because it's forced rotation. That was my biggest complaint with the Rupes. On odd shaped panels it bogged so easy- it was really frustrating. Then it died on me after about 30 details. I never replaced it. I was seriously disappointed in it's performance and longevity.

RC-5.0

Established Member
IDK too much about that WS21. Is that a Forced rotation or free?
Got my 3401 in today in pink LOL.
RC

hoamskilet

Established Member
been tempted several times to pick up a 3401, but just can't justify it since I already own a Rupes, PC, and Dewalt. Maybe if/when one of those machines die I'll finally grab one

RC-5.0

Established Member
been tempted several times to pick up a 3401, but just can't justify it since I already own a Rupes, PC, and Dewalt. Maybe if/when one of those machines die I'll finally grab one

LOL...it's addictive.

I have the Mini Griots (which is crap) but I use it to wet sand, 2 Porter cables (one was slightly damaged but is still usable), the Flex PE-8 Rotary and the now the 3401. I think it's a good variety.
RC

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
You and I have discussed my thoughts but I figured I may as well post up on the thread since I didn't see it before :)

I ended up with a Rupes Duetto and love it. A little less comfortable than the 15LE but a more manageable size/weight. The Flex 3401 kicked my butt on the sides. My bad back just could not take the beating the Flex hands out. As Nasty said earlier it is a true beast though. It can power through any job.

I tried going back to a 7424 after owning the Rupes 15LE and it was a bad decision. Cadillac compared to a Hyundai. That isn't to knock the PC because I still feel it's the best beginner machine but once you have tasted champagne, there's no going back to Near Beer.

My back and I prefer the relative comfort of the Rupes products. Now I did try the Rupes UHS "method", which included new stiff foam pads and an "all in one" type compound. Rupes presented it as a one stage compound/finish job but it just did not work for me. I'm calling AG today to return it.

Users who are viewing this thread