Edumicate Me...Rupes and Flex.

RC-5.0

Established Member
I have fairly new cars and they're all silver, so I got used to the PC DA and Im fine with it. Got it all worked out with the polishes and it's been all good. I also paint engine parts and was using it to buff them out, but I recently got the Flex PE 8 (Kompact) orbital which has been awesome. I started using the the Lake Country 3.5 inch Foamed wool pads to buff it it's like night and day vs. the PC and mini foam pads...INSTANT shine after wet sanding and no "burning" of the plastic edges.

I since bought my daughter a black car and need to step up to a better Large polisher.
I have read good things about the Rupes, but I just noticed that they are a lot more money than the Flex 3401 and they all appear to be Random orbital vs DA.

Anyone use both a Rupes and the 3401 that can give some good feedback and/or comparisons? Autogeek currently has a 15% OFF NO exclusions sale.

Thanks
RC

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
I have both the 3401 and a few Rupes machines-the Duetto, 15 and mini.

Rupes: RO/DA machines. Random orbital/dual action. I consider them the same 'action'. You can stop the rotation/action by grabbing it or by putting too many pounds of pressure on it, or while working on curved panels, it will have the tendency to bog. The Rupes is very smooth! Super smooth! Relatively quiet.

Flex 3401: Forced rotation. Still an RO/DA however the pad is forced to spin. You can't stop it by grabbing it, it will not bog down/stop spinning when you put pressure on it, or work on curved panels. The Flex is a little loud, it's a beast!, and can sometimes pull/grab/run from you when working. I don't find this an issue, however others may. Some feel like you have to 'man' it in order to work with one, I find that to be a little exaggerated.

The 3401 is the closest thing to a rotary out there that is not a true rotary.

The nitty gritty: Both brands/machines are very good. Build quality, etc. Top notch. Both can achieve excellent results. You will just need to figure out what machine is better for you. IMO: you can't go wrong with either one, and I recommend both if you can do it! (I tend to use my 3401 more for heavy correction and my Rupes for lighter correction and LSP application)

Hope this rather long post helps you in some way figure out what machine is right for you!

****Where in FL are you? If you are close to me, you are more than welcome to come try out my machines and see what you like.****

Last edited:

RC-5.0

Established Member
I have both the 3401 and a few Rupes machines-the Duetto, 15 and mini.

Rupes: RO/DA machines. Random orbital/dual action. I consider them the same 'action'. You can stop the rotation/action by grabbing it or by putting too many pounds of pressure on it, or while working on curved panels, it will have the tendency to bog. The Rupes is very smooth! Super smooth! Relatively quiet.

Flex 3401: Forced rotation. Still an RO/DA however the pad is forced to spin. You can't stop it by grabbing it, it will not bog down/stop spinning when you put pressure on it, or work on curved panels. The Flex is a little loud, it's a beast!, and can sometimes pull/grab/run from you when working. I don't find this an issue, however others may. Some feel like you have to 'man' it in order to work with one, I find that to be a little exaggerated.

The 3401 is the closest thing to a rotary out there that is not a true rotary.

The nitty gritty: Both brands/machines are very good. Build quality, etc. Top notch. Both can achieve excellent results. You will just need to figure out what machine is better for you. IMO: you can't go wrong with either one, and I recommend both if you can do it! (I tend to use my 3401 more for heavy correction and my Rupes for lighter correction and LSP application)

Hope this rather long post helps you in some way figure out what machine is right for you!

****Where in FL are you? If you are close to me, you are more than welcome to come try out my machines and see what you like.****

Thanks for the quick first reply.

I know and understand the difference b/t RO, DA, Rotary. My question is really based on the fact that All the Rupes I see are NOT DA, they seem to all be R.O only, but they are a lot more money. Why Would I chose that one over the Flex? If the answer is simply Rupes for lighter corrections, why not just keep my PC D.A then?

RC

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
While there may be some real technical differences between the terms

Random Orbital Polisher
Dual Action Polisher

When it comes to these tools it's really just semantics because they all use a Free Rotating Spindle Assemble to move the pad.

^^^^Not my words. Direct quote from Mike Phillips of Autogeek.

An excellent question and one that I think many are trying to answer for themselves!

So on to your quandary: IMO: Basic functionality only: The Rupes and PC are essentially the same machine with the same operation.
Build quality is a HUGE difference between the two though.

The 3401, IMO, is THE machine for correction, heavy, light, etc if I had only one to choose from.

(and I still have a PC, Griot's 6" in my arsenal as well-however I will reach for the Rupes, just due to how smooth it is, before I grab one of these others)

Hope this is helping out bro! I know it is a huge decision...as well as a lot of money to lay out!

RC-5.0

Established Member
So if I am deciding on a Rupes or Flex, and the Flex is less $$ and I already have a PC, then the Flex is probably the way to go?

Also this pink one:
http://www.autogeek.net/pink-flex-3401.html
Is the same model as the red but $40 less?

Same thing but pink?

Color doesn't matter to me. It can be rainbow for all I care if it's the same and $40 less.
RC

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Yes. If it were me, I would do just that. Get the Flex and don't look back. It will do everything the Rupes will do without the negatives (to me) of the Rupes--bogging/stalling on curves/etc.

Yes, the pink one is the same as the red one. They did a limited number of the different colored ones.
LOL @ your rainbow comment! Yeah, it'll do the same damn thing as the others! haha

*you can also get a smaller backing plate for the Flex. I'm running one cuz I like using 5"-5.5" pads.-don't know what size pads you are using*

Last edited:

RC-5.0

Established Member
Yeah, $40 less plus 15% more off...can't beat that. I have the 6.5 inch pads..tons of them so I just need the machine now. Im pulling the trigger..got an hour left on the sale.
RC

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
OK, good deal. You will be very happy, I will guarantee it! Let me know how you like it when you get some time behind it.

(I got to play around with the PE8 @ Detail Fest and almost grabbed one. It's a bad @ss machine...was using 1" pads on a Harley and fell in love...this will be my next acquisition! )

RC-5.0

Established Member
OK, good deal. You will be very happy, I will guarantee it! Let me know how you like it when you get some time behind it.

(I got to play around with the PE8 @ Detail Fest and almost grabbed one. It's a bad @ss machine...was using 1" pads on a Harley and fell in love...this will be my next acquisition! )

I use the 3 inch plate with the foamed wool pads...this is after wet sanding where it is smooth but milky white. That, with some Adams severe swirl remover made it pop with one or two passes on speed 4 (of 6). PLUS, those pads flare out and up around the perimeter, so there is no burning of the edges of the plastic when the pad swirls around. Need almost NO pressure. I love that PE8.
Thanks for all your help.
RC

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
I remember seeing your thread on those parts that you paint/buff out and they came out great!

Glad I could help!

TTYL

oldmodman

Established Member
I got my Flex the first year they came out.

And I have not used either of my full size DA's since. I have used my mini 3" DA polisher for those tiny, hard to reach areas. For that I might just end up getting the Rupes Mini. It has a lot more power than my Griot's 3"

But even though the Flex has forced rotation whenever I need to take out sanding marks or serious but not sanded scratches I always reach for my Flex Rotary. I hardly ever use my Makita anymore. The Flex rotary is just lighter and smoother feeling.

RC-5.0

Established Member
I got my Flex the first year they came out.

And I have not used either of my full size DA's since. I have used my mini 3" DA polisher for those tiny, hard to reach areas. For that I might just end up getting the Rupes Mini. It has a lot more power than my Griot's 3"

But even though the Flex has forced rotation whenever I need to take out sanding marks or serious but not sanded scratches I always reach for my Flex Rotary. I hardly ever use my Makita anymore. The Flex rotary is just lighter and smoother feeling.

I thought about a straight up rotary since I like the PE-8, but Not sure if I needed it and I wanted to take advantage of the $349 price plus the 15% off at AutoGeek. They don't discount the machines too often. I have a Griot's mini that I use for 1500/3000 grit wet sanding. It SUCKS for polishing but is alright for sanding..it heats up quick. If you want a great mini go for the PE-8..You can 1, 2, or 3" heads for them.
RC

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I've had a pc7424 since 2006, great little machine. I recently decided to add to my collection and was torn between the rupes21 and flex 3401...I decided on the flex. It is absolutely a beast of a machine...it does require more upper body strength to control for heavy cut, but man is it awesome. I found after doing a couple vehicles (I first experimented on my old beater pickup) that although it will do heavy correction, it finishes really nice spinning slower and with a fine liquid like the mezerna 4500. I have the interchangeable backing plate system and have had really good success using the small plate and 5" hybrid pad. After you battle through heavy correction if it is needed, I slip on that grey hybrid finishing pad, set the machine on 4 and use the mezerna 4500. It produces incredible, highly finished results. No pressure necessary, I just guide it along with one hand, just letting it "float" on the surface.

Before buying, I had the perception the 7424 was the "jeweler" and the 3401 was the "heavy lifter"...not necessarily. I still love the pc, it's lighter and more maneuverable, but the 3401 can finish incredible.

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
Before buying, I had the perception the 7424 was the "jeweler" and the 3401 was the "heavy lifter"...not necessarily. I still love the pc, it's lighter and more maneuverable, but the 3401 can finish incredible.

My feelings exactly! I still used the PC for jeweling until I did a remote detail and forgot to bring it. The Flex did work at 4.5 and like you said, let the weight of the machine create the pressure. My PC is now relegated to wax/glazing and some glass polishing...lol...

RC-5.0

Established Member
My feelings exactly! I still used the PC for jeweling until I did a remote detail and forgot to bring it. The Flex did work at 4.5 and like you said, let the weight of the machine create the pressure. My PC is now relegated to wax/glazing and some glass polishing...lol...

1. I was planning on using the flex with the large pads for the big areas and then using the smaller plate and PC for around lights, A-pillar, etc. so I don't have to keep changing pads/plates.

2. When using the Flex, do you pretty much just put enough weight on it to keep it flat against the car? No additional pressure like the PC? Im assuming if you do THAT, and keep it moving your chance of burning paint is almost nil?

Thanks
RC

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
#1: Sounds like a good plan!

#2: I will put pressure on it if needed. I will go out on a limb here and say that it is more difficult to 'burn' or go thru your clear/paint with the 3401 than a pure rotary. I have REALLY leaned on it man and have not had any issues.

RC-5.0

Established Member
Yeah, Im using the PE-8 (rotary) and ive only had an issue if Im not careful around the edges and corners..not a problem at all on the flat surfaces.
RC

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Just my 02 - having had both I'd recommend the Flex over the Rupes. Never had any problems with the Flex. In fact I added a PE-14 and am about to add the PE-8 to my arsenal. Awesome tools that do everything well - at least for me. AND they are less expensive than the Rupes.

RC-5.0

Established Member
Just my 02 - having had both I'd recommend the Flex over the Rupes. Never had any problems with the Flex. In fact I added a PE-14 and am about to add the PE-8 to my arsenal. Awesome tools that do everything well - at least for me. AND they are less expensive than the Rupes.
Hey, thanks for chiming in. You will love the PE8 if you have small areas. I use it on my painted coil covers after I wet sand to 1500. I use the Adams Severe swirl remover and a foamed wool pad. That stuff pops with little effort at all.

Let us know how you like it when you get it. What are you using the 14 for and how do you like it? Any comments on the 3401?
RC

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Hey, thanks for chiming in. You will love the PE8 if you have small areas. I use it on my painted coil covers after I wet sand to 1500. I use the Adams Severe swirl remover and a foamed wool pad. That stuff pops with little effort at all.

Let us know how you like it when you get it. What are you using the 14 for and how do you like it? Any comments on the 3401?
RC

The thing I LOVE about the 3401 is it's forced rotation. Many Rupes fanbois say that it takes less technique to use the 3401 - I completely disagree. If you don't have proper technique it will walk pretty hard on you. But with the right technique it's not only a sledge hammer it can also be a scalpel. It truly is a tool you can use for 90+ percent of the jobs out there. I use the PE-14 when I'm working on seriously hammered paint. I've used it on customers cars maybe a dozen times or so. It's a work horse for real. Amazing tool and gets the job done FAST. - I can't wait to get the PE8 so I can tackle the small spaces with greater ease.

Users who are viewing this thread