Edelbrock Supercharger Engine Dyno video: 600hp/525lb torque

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
Pretty impressive. Wonder what this would net out at the wheels?

they claim only 6psi 91 octane tune. But i think with the 3.5 pulley, boost starts at 6psi. Not sure what the boost pressure was at peak hp/tq?

[youtube_browser]zV0EDaInexI[/youtube_browser]

Link if embed doesn't work: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV0EDaInexI"]YouTube - 600HP 5.0L EForce Supercharger Dyno Pull[/nomedia]

Last edited:

kevinp

Established Member
I like the e-force setups, it was up there on my list but I couldnt wait anymore. I'm pretty sure they use the 2.3 TVS supercharger.

Downside is they are pricy, upside is the warranty if you worry about such things.

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
I like the e-force setups, it was up there on my list but I couldnt wait anymore. I'm pretty sure they use the 2.3 TVS supercharger.

Downside is they are pricy, upside is the warranty if you worry about such things.

And the warranty isnt free. You have to pay about $800 for the 5 yr 60k mile warranty. The Roush comes with 3 yr, 36k automatically.

Big difference in addition to the already pricey edelbrock kit. But i can't rule them out for this power output at such low psi and 91 octane.

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
Just read on their video description that this is not the standard kit. This has the smaller pully option.

"Testing the Edelbrock 1588 EForce Supercharger combined with a 15820 pulley kit, Edelbrock technicians pull 600 horspower out of our 5.0L test engine. Thats 50 more horsepower over the 1588 kit. Oh, and with only 6 lbs of boost."

So the standard kit is putting out about 550hp on an engine dyno i presume, since they mentioned this video is 50hp more than the kit without smaller pulley. so 550hp engine dyno is prob 500 rwhp at 6psi?

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
MAP sensor reading at almost peak power. Does this give a general reading on peak boost?

w191w.png

Last edited:

kevinp

Established Member
MAP sensor reading at almost peak power. Does this give a general reading on peak boost?

w191w.png

Yes, 17.6 inHg = 8.64psi

The Roush kit I have is making a little over 6psi with the standard 90mm pulley, it would probably be near the advertised 7psi at sea level, I'm at 1400 feet.

As far as warranty, like the Edelbrock, the Roush will only honor the warranty with their tune and standard pulley. I would imagine both 'warranty' tunes are very mild. If the Roush comes standard with the 3/36 then its a pretty good deal for m6 owners since the kit isnt much more than the 'tuner' kit from what I seen.

As far as power output if the both use the same blower you will see similar power output, on boosted cars the intake design, unless its very restrictive, doesnt really make much difference. The intake and TB can make a fairly large difference though.

The more choices the better..

kevinp

Established Member
Just read on their video description that this is not the standard kit. This has the smaller pully option.

"Testing the Edelbrock 1588 EForce Supercharger combined with a 15820 pulley kit, Edelbrock technicians pull 600 horspower out of our 5.0L test engine. Thats 50 more horsepower over the 1588 kit. Oh, and with only 6 lbs of boost."

So the standard kit is putting out about 550hp on an engine dyno i presume, since they mentioned this video is 50hp more than the kit without smaller pulley. so 550hp engine dyno is prob 500 rwhp at 6psi?

If you watch the video at first it has the larger pulley on it, the boost is hanging around 5.9-6.0psi and its making right at 500hp at 5200rpm, then they cut the video to the other pulley. FWIW they say the standard pulley is 3.55, the Roush standard pulley is 90mm (3.54) so its pretty close. Looks like the 15820 pulley is 3.50"

Would be nice to see an overlay of the two pulls, on a decently efficient stock engine you are looking at around 25-30 crank hp per psi of boost usually (unless you are running out of compressor or float the valves) so 550hp is about right. RWHP has a lot of variables but 500-510 is a good estimate..

Last edited:

kevinp

Established Member
I would like to see the 3.55 vs 3.5 e-force dynos overlayed, since its the same blower turning similar RPM I would assume with the same tune they would make very similar power.

Late model, live axle, rear wheel drive cars with a manual I would put in the 10-15% drivetrain loss category (dynojet). Chassis dyno numbers have way to many variables to be really accurate, thats why its a tuning tool and not a horsepower rating tool..

AmnDucky

Established Member
Yes, 17.6 inHg = 8.64psi

The Roush kit I have is making a little over 6psi with the standard 90mm pulley, it would probably be near the advertised 7psi at sea level, I'm at 1400 feet.

As far as warranty, like the Edelbrock, the Roush will only honor the warranty with their tune and standard pulley. I would imagine both 'warranty' tunes are very mild. If the Roush comes standard with the 3/36 then its a pretty good deal for m6 owners since the kit isnt much more than the 'tuner' kit from what I seen.

As far as power output if the both use the same blower you will see similar power output, on boosted cars the intake design, unless its very restrictive, doesnt really make much difference. The intake and TB can make a fairly large difference though.

The more choices the better..

Even if you ignore Edelbrocks sales pitch of "longest runners", they still have the biggest intercooler by flipping the setup. And while that may not get more power on the dyno, it will help you continue to get that power longer.

kevinp

Established Member
Even if you ignore Edelbrocks sales pitch of "longest runners", they still have the biggest intercooler by flipping the setup. And while that may not get more power on the dyno, it will help you continue to get that power longer.

Possibly, I dont know the exact core size on either, I'm sure they both use the same pumps, not sure how large the edelbrock heat exchanger is either. I would guess neither is great for road racing.

I will say without a doubt it looks cool..

AmnDucky

Established Member
Possibly, I dont know the exact core size on either, I'm sure they both use the same pumps, not sure how large the edelbrock heat exchanger is either. I would guess neither is great for road racing.

I will say without a doubt it looks cool..

I don't know numbers either, but they do say theirs is the biggest because it doesn't have to fit in the valley. Now, it might be that their bigger intercooler may only have another 1/4" of surface area over the competition, and therefore isn't REALLY any better. but I will give them the benefit of the doubt that it's big enough to matter.

I do agree that none of the positive displacement blowers are ideal for road racing, and that it looks good though. I am leaning heavily towards NA power for that very reason.

kevinp

Established Member
I don't know numbers either, but they do say theirs is the biggest because it doesn't have to fit in the valley. Now, it might be that their bigger intercooler may only have another 1/4" of surface area over the competition, and therefore isn't REALLY any better. but I will give them the benefit of the doubt that it's big enough to matter.

I do agree that none of the positive displacement blowers are ideal for road racing, and that it looks good though. I am leaning heavily towards NA power for that very reason.

I'm not so trusting, even though I have met Vic a hew times and he is a nice guy..

Road racing is a KISS thing to me, adding 70lbs over the front wheels, a fluid pump, belt driving something that takes 100hp etc kind of throws that out of the window. But OTOH higher N/A power usually means more RPM and thats harder on everything. Like everything else there are tradeoffs.

AmnDucky

Established Member
I'm not so trusting, even though I have met Vic a hew times and he is a nice guy..

Road racing is a KISS thing to me, adding 70lbs over the front wheels, a fluid pump, belt driving something that takes 100hp etc kind of throws that out of the window. But OTOH higher N/A power usually means more RPM and thats harder on everything. Like everything else there are tradeoffs.

If I can get blower numbers, without the blower, I would prefer that route. Of course a forged motor with a blower will make more power than an NA motor ever could. But FRPP's low end blower is only 525 crank, that's 450 wheel at 15% losses. If I can do 500 wheel without the extra weight, consider me sold. Especially considering I am not a good enough driver on the track to keep the engine high on the tach, sometimes it's just easier to put it in 3rd and have fun.

Now that we have hijacked the thread, I will say I really want to see more specs on this blower. I was intrigued from the beginning because of looks, the big intercooler, and the front intake without that stupid setup magnacharger went with. On the surface, I <3 this blower.

Users who are viewing this thread