eBay issues. Looking for some advise

DOHCTER

Shop Smart.. Shop S-Mart
Established Member
Ok here is the issue I have. I sold this camera on eBay, guy submits me an offer, I counter, he counters, I counter again and he accepts, pays, and I ship it out the same day

Action
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111475170594

Get an email from him the next day..asking how many shutter actuations are on it. I respond with the shutter count of 209k. He responds with that is more then expected. He gets the camera today and sends me this email
byju6u7e.jpg

I know eBay and PayPal favor the buyer, but this seems a little on the unreasonable side. What is svtp thoughts? Thanks

Satyr

Established Member
Seems like your typical buyer's remorse. PayPal is definitely keen on favoring the buyer, but it doesn't sound like there was any misleadings in your listing. They generally rule for the seller if the item shows up, as described, and there's no significant damage or difference in quality.

My guess is the buyer had no idea what he was looking at, bought it, then decided to do research and found that it might not be what he thought. Tough shit for him.

TK Doom

Established Member
Negative feedback is now only trailing 12 months I think...i'd say eff em...eBay is not a very place anymore..Paypal made it worse...I used to sell stuff all the time, not anymore. With the price of shipping and final charges on shipping fees, its just not worth the hassle in most cases.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I used to be a big eBay seller 10+ years ago but I rarely use it any longer. Too expensive as pointed out.

As far as the camera deal, based on what you posted I'd say you're okay, but then again, we're talking about eBay/PayPal. They tend to side with the buyer now, so it wouldn't surprise me if you get shafted on this one. Hope not.

DallasHopps

Established Member
With the message you posted as "proof" of his only issue being a detail that was asked for after the sale, I think I would take my chances with the dispute system if he goes that route. I absolutely hate selling on ebay now; nothing protects the seller and you pay dearly for the privilege of using the site.

ZeroSVT

Established Member
Let us know what happens with this. I'm curious. I would think the buy is at fault here since he did not ask the question up front.

Cheers,
-Matt

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
So in his message is pretty much says everything he needed to protect you IMO. He admitted fault to everything he talked about yet he is still holding it against you? There is nothing actually wrong with the camera. He is just paranoid under suspicion that the camera might break. I could go buy a camera with 0 clicks and assume the same thing. **** him and his stupid remorse. He probably ended up finding something he liked better and is trying to get out of the sale. I would let him return it but charge a 30% restocking fee.

LS2GTO

Established Member
You sold the camera as is and disclosed its condition and shutter life or whatever that is. Seems to me the guy just wants to use that as an excuse to either return it or get some money back.

You did nothing illegal or immoral here, so you should do nothing. Tell him he bought it used and that's that, you're not going to pay for him to repair his product. The selling price included all wear and tear on it.

nxhappy

Established Member
lmfao tell that guy to pound sand. he should have done more research. Also, if your item is used, buyer should take that responsibility.

I am not sure what paypal will do.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I am not sure what paypal will do.

Paypal will tell buyer to send item back, and seller to give full refund plus the cost of back-shipping, less paypal fees.

Then seller will get package in mail, not even his camera. Camera from buyer that is ****ed up.

Buyer gets newer camera at no cost. Seller gets ****ed. Paypal still gets money.

rancid

Established Member
Ebay has a horrible new policy if an item isn't as expected or described they will buy it back from the original buyer and get their money back from the seller in some instances.

allister

Established Member
I would not take it back because it sounds like they are looking for excuses, for what reason? To just return it? Or perhaps tamper with it (take/exchange parts) before returning it? You don't know that. I would tell them sorry, no dice. The second they file a claim, call paypal, give them your story, and let them escalate it to a claim. As far as I can see, the item is perfectly as described, and the buyer is complaining about things that weren't mentioned in the listing, which is their dumb fault for buying. You get to keep your money, and they may or may not refund the buyer, but if you can prove it was accurately described and they might be trying to scam you, good chance they won't get their money back. Good luck!!

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
I get the feeling the OP is going to get bent over. I sold a camera recently, debated putting it on Ebay but decided to just sell it locally because I felt like someone would pull something like whats happening to the OP.

wht93gted

Established Member
You mean like buying a used car with 100k for something like 5 grand, then the buyer reading on the internet that "____ car usually needs timing belt done around 110k miles" and person coming back to you saying "I might need a timing belt, give me $1000 back".

Yeah, not your fault.

However, and it's a big one, ebay\paypal will screw you and you're going to lose. Might as well tell him camera is fine, you're worried about something that may or may not even break, but being the stand-up guy I am, I'll split the difference and give you $100. For me, these battles aren't worth my time, and I'd rather just lose $100, then have to deal with complaints.

DOHCTER

Shop Smart.. Shop S-Mart
Established Member
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I told the guy I wasn't going to do anything for him, he could of asked about shutter count while he was making offers. Offered him to go ahead a file a claim with eBay buyer protection.

He responded back asking why and didn't think his offer was unreasonable. And that he found a camera with more actuations that sold for less.

I responded with all of the extras I included with the camera ended up making it cheaper then the one he showed me. So he said he was going to drop the issue and leave it at that. Been a few days with no word and no feedback. So I think it's finally a done deal

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
eBay is a crock of shit. Some nutbag bought a pair of Oakleys from me that I purchased FROM the Oakley store. He claimed they were bootleggs, eBay forced me to take it back and refund his cash, leaving me out the Fees and Shipping $$.

john_anch_ak

You've done nothing wrong and if he tries to dispute it he will lose. I'd just ignore him. eBay does favor the buyer if there is any indication that the seller did the slightest thing wrong, accidentally or not, and you did nothing wrong. He should have asked those questions before making the deal. Sure looks like buyers remorse to me. Please let us know what happens.

Regulars520

Established Member
I want $200 back? LOL tell him to get bent. He already said in the email that he asked AFTER he bought it and its his fault for not reading, so he has already admitted he screwed up and not you. If he files a complaint you can upload documents. Copy and paste this email he sent into word and upload it. Pretty much sealed the deal for himself as a loss.

Users who are viewing this thread