eaton swap with gears

71catruck

Established Member
so i blew my diff last week. when i say this i literally mean i was doing a first gear pull from a 10 mph roll and bang. tore it apart and the traction lock carrier is cracked all the way threw on one side. the spider gears are all torn up to. im just going to replace it all most likely with a kit from summit racing. im thinking of going with a 3.73 gear do any of you guys run that with the eaton swap and how is it?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Are you still running the stock T45? If so, I'm surprised that didn't grenade first. With the Eaton you definitely don't need as much gear as with the N/A 4V. 3.73's would be a good choice or 3.90's if you really want some twist.

Some Terminator guys will run 4.10's but they also have the T56 that has a much taller first gear.

71catruck

Established Member
Trust me I'm surprised to but I pulled it apart and saw the damage. I'll try and link the pic today. It's bad though. I have a t-56 I hope ill be able to put in in the next year anyways.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Trust me I'm surprised to but I pulled it apart and saw the damage. I'll try and link the pic today. It's bad though. I have a t-56 I hope ill be able to put in in the next year anyways.

Yup, it happens. It's possible the case deformed and caused the gears to break. Make sure you get a reinforced diff cover or a Billetflow brace when upgrading.

With the T-56 you should consider a steeper rear gear (3.90's or 4.10's) then since it has a 2.66 first gear vs a 3.37 in the T-45

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I wouldn't go steeper than a 3.73 with the eaton. Personally I think 3.55's are a good gear for the eaton/t-56 combo. But I'm not a strip hero. I spend my time on the street.

If you don't have a Billetflow brace I have one I can let go.

71catruck

Established Member
my car hardly ever sees the strip but the t-56 i have is out of an lt1 trans am and has a tall first and second gear. i have the full mm rear grip box im not sure why it blew to be honest. im not even running a drag radial its a 295 kdw. any info on were to get a rebuild kit though. and im having a hard time finding a 28 spline carrier

01yellercobra

Established Member
What is your first and second gear? Does the MM kit include a diff brace?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I have 373s in my KB car. that puts north of 6k going through the traps in 4th gear

Richter888

Established Member
I wouldn't go steeper than a 3.73 with the eaton. Personally I think 3.55's are a good gear for the eaton/t-56 combo. But I'm not a strip hero. I spend my time on the street.

This...

3.73s feel pretty good in my car. I can drive it around the street all day and cruise the interstate without too much noise or extremely high revs. I think at 65 mph I sit at ~2100-2200 rpm. I dont remember where I was with the five speed. I think it was at 2500. I know it wasn't that huge of a difference though

71catruck

Established Member
ok thanks guys. im getting a diff carrier this weekend from a friend then dropping it of for the rebuild and 3.73 next week. cant wait to see how they feel. then hop to get my ported blower and meth on soon.

71catruck

Established Member
ok guys i finlly got my car back on the road.i went with a stock rebuilt traction lock and 3.73 gears. with my t-45 my rpm's are right at 2300 for 70 mph. the exhaust is actually a little bit quieter though so thats a nice surprise. im not sure on how it will affect my mpg but even with the being at higher rpm's im using less throttle to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread