Early SN95 Cobra is Back on the Street

waldo

Established Member
On August 14th, 1995 Ford finished the assembly of a Crystal White/Saddle Mustang Cobra. This car was one of the "P4" pre-production cars that Ford used for engineering evaluations, media testing, etc. This was the 110th Mustang and 18th Cobra manufactured for 1996.

After 21,915 miles of corporate service, a Ford employee purchased the Cobra in November of 1996. He put just over 9,000 miles on the car until his passing last fall. Almost all of those miles occurred prior to 2006. The service records that came with the car indicate that the car had not been driven since April of 2006. Despite the fact that it had been tucked away in a garage for 9 years, it fired right up once a new battery was installed.

With the help of a couple of Ford employees, I purchased #18 earlier this month from the family of the Ford employee who purchased it from Ford. With the exception of a little corrosion on some of the bits around the engine and a few scuffs on the wheels, the car is in phenomenal condition. Everything appears to be original.

The records that came with the car indicate only one other "P4" pre-production 1996 Mustang Cobra was sold in November of 1996. This other Cobra (a Laser Red coupe) was the 111th Mustang and the 19th Cobra manufactured for 1996. One of the Ford employees that helped with the sale of #18, mentioned that the first 17 Cobras manufactured for 1996 may have been scrapped and destroyed by Ford after they were used for testing and evaluation. If that is the case, #18 could be the oldest surviving "modular" Cobra.

While not as cool and collectable as a finding a Shelby GT-350 in a barn, it's a pretty neat piece of modular Cobra history for those of us with a soft spot for SN-95 Cobras. I'll post better pictures once the weather cooperates.

Awaking after a long nap...
CIMG7879.JPG

After a quick detail... (I bought the car with the original wheels, not the pictured Cobra R's.)
CIMG8000.JPG

CIMG7999.JPG

CIMG7994.JPG

Getting ready to leave Dearborn...
image1.1.JPG

Last edited:

BeanCrusher

Sidetracked yet again.
Established Member
While not as cool and collectable as a finding a Shelby GT-350 in a barn,

I dunno....thats still pretty cool.

So, at what point did the egg crate grill come/go? First pic had it, but not the others...

waldo

Established Member
So, at what point did the egg crate grill come/go? First pic had it, but not the others...
The egg crate/honeycomb grill is still on the car. It's just easier to see in the first picture.

While looking for additional info on the history of the car, I stumbled across these pictures (posted on eBay) from the March 1996 issue of Road and Track.

$_57.1.jpg

$_57.2.jpg

$_57.jpg

After a little more searching, I found the October 1995 and April 1996 issues of Super Ford Magazine have articles that feature a white Cobra.

Super_Ford.jpg

Super_Ford_2.jpg

I have ordered back issues of all three magazines in the hopes that I might be able to determine if it is the same Crystal White Cobra coupe. I wish there was some way I could confirm the VIN of the Cobra in the three articles, but given the time frame of the articles, that could be tough.

Users who are viewing this thread