Eagle internals max hp?

Daryl Mozart

Established Member
So I need an engine rebuild and considering to Vortech supercharge afterwards for 500-550 WHP for my 01 Cobra.

I'm stuck on what compression ratio to get for my Eagle 302 Stroker kit. So what's recommended for that? I want to get 10.8:1 since the Coyotes has 11.1:1 I think? So why go any lower?

This is what I'm getting but no where does it say how much HP it can handle.

https://www.lethalperformance.com/e...w-forged-crankshaft-4cc-pistons-020-over.html

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I dont think you can really compare the coyote compression using full independently variable cam timing to a fixed setup like the 4.6.

How much boost and what fuel would be better questions

Daryl Mozart

Established Member
I dont think you can really compare the coyote compression using full independently variable cam timing to a fixed setup like the 4.6.

How much boost and what fuel would be better questions
91 Octane, well enough boost to have around 550 WHP, I have long tube headers, off road x pipe, and intake so I'm probably at 330 WHP atm.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
arias pistons? never even heard of that one. Have you looked into any of the info out there about stroker kits and some of the side loading issues? I havent done in depth research but Ive seen it mentioned. 550 can easily be achieved without it.

I dont have the expertise for an exact answer but Id say 10.8 + boost on 91 is too much. When my motor was 10:1 on 93 octane tuner didnt want me over 15psi and max timing was only at 14 (made mid 600s like this with a D1).

Daryl Mozart

Established Member
arias pistons? never even heard of that one. Have you looked into any of the info out there about stroker kits and some of the side loading issues? I havent done in depth research but Ive seen it mentioned. 550 can easily be achieved without it.

I dont have the expertise for an exact answer but Id say 10.8 + boost on 91 is too much. When my motor was 10:1 on 93 octane tuner didnt want me over 15psi and max timing was only at 14 (made mid 600s like this with a D1).
So 9.1:1 would be better? I thought so as well.

01yellercobra

Established Member
FWIW I ran Eagle rods in my big bore stroker and it was around 650-700. Never had an issue with them. I've heard of Arias, but it's been a while since I've seen someone run them. IMO 10.8 is too high for pump gas. And really, if you're "only" wanting 550, stock compression is fine. Heck, you could drop it to 9:1 and still make your numbers. I went with 9.5:1 for my centri set up. Is your crank toast or are you just wanting the bump in displacement?

Daryl Mozart

Established Member
FWIW I ran Eagle rods in my big bore stroker and it was around 650-700. Never had an issue with them. I've heard of Arias, but it's been a while since I've seen someone run them. IMO 10.8 is too high for pump gas. And really, if you're "only" wanting 550, stock compression is fine. Heck, you could drop it to 9:1 and still make your numbers. I went with 9.5:1 for my centri set up. Is your crank toast or are you just wanting the bump in displacement?
My crank is fine, It's just that if I'm rebuilding my engine, might as well change that out too to make sure if something does happen in the future I don't have to go through hell again..

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the stock forged crank is a great piece, thats whats still in my motor that should be good to ~1k.

I wouldnt go any lower than 9.5:1 anyway so it doesnt get too lazy out of boost. My current motor is 9.5 since its on 93 most of the time

Daryl Mozart

Established Member
the stock forged crank is a great piece, thats whats still in my motor that should be good to ~1k.

I wouldnt go any lower than 9.5:1 anyway so it doesnt get too lazy out of boost. My current motor is 9.5 since its on 93 most of the time
My car has 130k miles you sure the stock crank is still good? It has no physical damage.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
My car has 130k miles you sure the stock crank is still good? It has no physical damage.

Only way to know for sure is to have a machine shop check it but if you’ve never run it low on oil or spin a bearing I’d be inclined to think it’s ok. My last motor lost oil pressure, didn’t lock up but trashed the heads...crank was salvageable

Brutal Metal

Established Member
So I need an engine rebuild and considering to Vortech supercharge afterwards for 500-550 WHP for my 01 Cobra.

I'm stuck on what compression ratio to get for my Eagle 302 Stroker kit. So what's recommended for that? I want to get 10.8:1 since the Coyotes has 11.1:1 I think? So why go any lower?

This is what I'm getting but no where does it say how much HP it can handle.

https://www.lethalperformance.com/e...w-forged-crankshaft-4cc-pistons-020-over.html
You want a stroker kit rotating assembly? MMR is a vendor here and will crush that price of the other vendor you listed... and better quality... just sayin..

Brutal Metal

Established Member
My crank is fine, It's just that if I'm rebuilding my engine, might as well change that out too to make sure if something does happen in the future I don't have to go through hell again..
Reuse your factory crank like 95% of the guys that rebuild their 99-01 4V. Get a set of .020 over Manley pistons and some H Beam rods from MMR. I'd scrap the stroker idea no need, just clean the cylinders up with a small overbore.

52merc

Established Member
According to the Eagle website calculator your CR is 10.54 for your 300.6 CID (3.552" +0.020" Bore x 3.750" Stroke) stroker kit with 54 cc combustion chambers.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Reuse your factory crank like 95% of the guys that rebuild their 99-01 4V. Get a set of .020 over Manley pistons and some H Beam rods from MMR. I'd scrap the stroker idea no need, just clean the cylinders up with a small overbore.
Explain how you can run .020 over pistons with a "small overbore" to just "clean" up the cylinders. You need either a .020 overbore and .020 pistons or custom pistons to fit a small clean up overbore.

To the OP, that compression will work for your intended goal but will be limited on pump gas with timing and boost. As mentioned before the factory crank has been tested over 1,500rwhp multiple times. The eagle is a good crank as well just expect the machine shop to need to do some extra work on the eagle stuff as their QC isn't perfect. My eagle crank took a considerable amount of work to clean up and balance out.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
I consider .020 a small bore
Ah, fair enough. Personally I think .020 is pretty large, considering .030 is about the max .020 is over half the useful life of a modular shortblock. While it's a common size and pistons are readily available for the bore I'd strongly suggest people not go straight to .020 over. On cars with higher cylinder pressures keeping the meat in the walls is very important. However, on a 500-600rwhp car it won't matter really.

fitforspeed

Established Member
I agree with the above on keeping the cylinders as close to stock as possible. Thin cylinder walls lead to problems. And I’ve haven’t seen any advertised HP ratings on the Eagle stuff but I’m running a Boss 5.0 block with the Eagle stroker crank/Rods and Diamond Pistons with no problems. I think my compression is around 9:1. Car with conservative tune puts down 700+rwhp on pump gas. When I bought the shortblock builder said it was good for 1000 hp.

Daryl Mozart

Established Member
Thanks for all the help guys, I decided to re use my crank, but the thing I'm really confused about is how to get the compression I want, so I decided on 9.5:1 for my turbo setup, going with MMR for my internals, standard 3.525 Stroke, what does my dish have to be to get that ratio?

52merc

Established Member
I'm doing the calculations using the following: 0.020" Overbore for a 3.571" Cylinder Diameter; 3.543" Stoke which is OE; 8.925" Deck height (which is OE); 5.933" Connecting Rod Length (which is OE); a 1.220" Compression Height (OE); a Head Gasket Bore of 3.620"; A Compressed Head Gasket Height of 0.036"; and a Combustion Chamber Size of 54 cc (although my OE shop manual claims 52.6 cc +/- 0.5 cc). This results in needing a -8.40 cc piston to get a 9.5:1 CR.

Since most aftermarket piston manufacturers make a Flat Top (10.69:1 CR), -4 cc (10.08:1), -11 cc (9.19:1), or -18 cc (8.45:1) the choice will be yours.

Users who are viewing this thread