e85 questions

jonw605

Established Member
Alright I'm torn. I can't decide. I need some opinions and guys with some experience to chime in.
I live in South Dakota (yes we have electricity) so e85 is easy to get. Quick mod list: gen 1 tvs, 2.4 pulley, vmp 72mm tb, 72 lb injectors, vmp BAP, 127 JLT intake, JBA h pipe (catless).
The tvs is not installed.
I have a tune from VMP ready to go. One for our crappy 91 octane, one for 100 octane with torco.
All I need according to BJ at vmp to run e85 is a set of ID 1000's and a retune.
Do I do it? Anybody regret e85? What will be my power difference? I know fuel economy will go down, but do I need to fill the tank every 100 miles?
Help please.

MattR

Established Member
I thought you would need a higher output fuel pumps and or a BAP? I'm curious as well, I already have the BP and ID1000 injectors on my 2011.

MattR

Established Member
Even with my BAP my fuel pumps are about maxed out, that's why I assume if you need 20% more fuel you need more pump or a return style system. If I'm wrong that's great. If not I think lethal sells fuels systems.

jonw605

Established Member
Matt I read your knock thread. Interesting. It sounds like your car may be an exception? BJ said I should be ok with just the BAP.

MattR

Established Member
it's an exception for some reason. Needed less advance and more fuel than anyone else Lund tuned. It's still not finished, just ran out of warm weather.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Where in SD are you located? I think BJ is right with the ID1000's. If you want to ensure headroom you could get 1300's or upgrade your fuel pumps. It's not too difficult to do nor too expensive. I don't have any experience with E85 but am in the same boat as you trying to decide if I want to go that route. I think here in Rapid we only have 1 maybe 2 stations with it. The other thing is having to test every tank before I full up. Kind of a PITA but I've heard of people buying 55 gallons at a time to combat this.

builttodrive

Established Member
Where in SD are you located? I think BJ is right with the ID1000's. If you want to ensure headroom you could get 1300's or upgrade your fuel pumps. It's not too difficult to do nor too expensive. I don't have any experience with E85 but am in the same boat as you trying to decide if I want to go that route. I think here in Rapid we only have 1 maybe 2 stations with it. The other thing is having to test every tank before I full up. Kind of a PITA but I've heard of people buying 55 gallons at a time to combat this.

Jonw and I are in the Sioux Falls area....I too am going to E85 on my 07 via Dual boosters and ID 1000's. It doesn't sound like you need to test every tank. Summer months are pretty good for 85% tests and worse case they are between 70-85 which I am told should be a non issue with a good tune and the lesser ethanol is richer which is ok. I think you have to be more concerned with reading higher than 85%. Our 91 around here isn't that great but we have E85 everywhere and it looks like there are plenty all the way out to the rapid city/black hills area...we visit out there now and again and also do the Sturgis Mustang Rally every year.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Nice! Sounds like you guys are set up over that way! I may be following you in this decision if you can keep us posted with results!

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Alright I'm torn. I can't decide. I need some opinions and guys with some experience to chime in.
I live in South Dakota (yes we have electricity) so e85 is easy to get. Quick mod list: gen 1 tvs, 2.4 pulley, vmp 72mm tb, 72 lb injectors, vmp BAP, 127 JLT intake, JBA h pipe (catless).
I have a tune from VMP ready to go. One for our crappy 91 octane, one for 100 octane with torco.
All I need according to BJ at vmp to run e85 is a set of ID 1000's and a retune.
Do I do it? Anybody regret e85? What will be my power difference? I know fuel economy will go down, but do I need to fill the tank every 100 miles?
Help please.

https://www.facebook.com/VMPTuning/...7132166690288/796741593729341/?type=1&theater

We just installed this VMP return style system on my 07 over the past couple of days.

BPS rails
Fore fittings, line and hat with twin pumps. I sold my booster because I won't need it.

On 07-12 cars you might get away with 1000's and a booster, but not all situations are equal. Testing the config is the key if you want to try it then move up to pumps if necessary (which is what a lot of folks do rather than go with a return style system right off the bat). In reality, a full return style system is what you want to do it right the first time.

On 13-14 cars, the pumps are robust enough to let it happen with a returnless system. Tom Crabtree's 2014 ran 169.90 in the 1/2 mile at Ocala with 1000s and our booster on a stock system. Plenty of fuel on e85.

So, in a nutshell- earlier cars: Do it right with a full return style system and pumps for the fullest potential and safest, biggest power. Try big injectors and booster on lower power combos and see how it goes if you're on a budget (and CAREFULLY monitor a/f and duty cycles in testing)

13-14. Up to 850 or more at the tire, ID1000s, VMP Plug and Play boosters, VMP tune. Oh, Tom's car also just trapped 144 in the quarter the other night. Full weight car.

bj

Last edited:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Jonw and I are in the Sioux Falls area....I too am going to E85 on my 07 via Dual boosters and ID 1000's. It doesn't sound like you need to test every tank. Summer months are pretty good for 85% tests and worse case they are between 70-85 which I am told should be a non issue with a good tune and the lesser ethanol is richer which is ok. I think you have to be more concerned with reading higher than 85%. Our 91 around here isn't that great but we have E85 everywhere and it looks like there are plenty all the way out to the rapid city/black hills area...we visit out there now and again and also do the Sturgis Mustang Rally every year.

Your concern is when it's less than 85%.

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
Help please.
No regrets here for 2+ years. My power difference was about 9% from my 93 octane tune. 60 horses.
Fuel wise I would assume 35% more fuel by volume at wot.

E85 will give you a much bigger margin of safety with regard to detonation and will allow you to add more boost. I run a return system with 3 pumps. ( room to grow). I think your gonna need pumps in addition to the injectors and BAP. Ask your question over in the Distillery forum. A lot of folks over there with some good info.

builttodrive

Established Member
https://www.facebook.com/VMPTuning/...7132166690288/796741593729341/?type=1&theater

We just installed this VMP return style system on my 07 over the past couple of days.

BPS rails
Fore fittings, line and hat with twin pumps. I sold my booster because I won't need it.

On 07-12 cars you might get away with 1000's and a booster, but not all situations are equal. Testing the config is the key if you want to try it then move up to pumps if necessary (which is what a lot of folks do rather than go with a return style system right off the bat). In reality, a full return style system is what you want to do it right the first time.

On 13-14 cars, the pumps are robust enough to let it happen with a returnless system. Tom Crabtree's 2014 ran 169.90 in the 1/2 mile at Ocala with 1000s and our booster on a stock system. Plenty of fuel on e85.

So, in a nutshell- earlier cars: Do it right with a full return style system and pumps for the fullest potential and safest, biggest power. Try big injectors and booster on lower power combos and see how it goes if you're on a budget (and CAREFULLY monitor a/f and duty cycles in testing)

13-14. Up to 850 or more at the tire, ID1000s, VMP Plug and Play boosters, VMP tune. Oh, Tom's car also just trapped 144 in the quarter the other night. Full weight car.

bj

Hey BJ,

I have been woking with Justin trying to get a new set-up on my car. He got me into the ID 1000's and VMP dual Boosters and we were looking at E85. Am I going to be ok here or should i be looking at a return set up?
My new set-up will include:
07 GT500
FRPP Shortblock
Ford racing 2.3 TVS 2.6 upper pulley and ATI 10% lower
123mm JLT
VMP 67mm Twin TB
Dynatech long tubes with o/x
And the fuel mods as stated above with FORE fuel rails.
What do you think about where I'm sitting and what kind of power will this support?

Last edited:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Give me a shout tomorrow so we can all get up to speed. Since I haven't been part of that conversation I don't know what is on his mind regarding your car.

Users who are viewing this thread