E85 guys in here please.

SNK-BITE

Established Member
I am new to this E85 magic. What do you guys do when you get a higher blend of fuel than what your tuned for? Stay out of boost an run it out of the tank and go back to your preferred store? For instance I was tuned on E74, filled up today at a new store that tested to E87, current A/F is now 12.3-12.5. Even on E85 I am not comfortable running hard with that A/F.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Not saying it's ideal AF...but you're not even close to detonating at 12.5 AF on E85. What AF were you tuned at on the E74?

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Cool. Thanks. My tuner is sending me an update for this E87. So im just gonna keep the current tune for the E70's blend so im covered on both ends.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I am new to this E85 magic. What do you guys do when you get a higher blend of fuel than what your tuned for? Stay out of boost an run it out of the tank and go back to your preferred store? For instance I was tuned on E74, filled up today at a new store that tested to E87, current A/F is now 12.3-12.5. Even on E85 I am not comfortable running hard with that A/F.

I don't know much about e85 or tuning but would my question is, wouldn't e87 be better than e74? As in safer. It's richer isn't it?

cj428mach

Established Member
Most guys say you should tune for e85 then anything less and you go rich. Then you don't have much to worry about. 04sleeper told me if you tune on e85 then you should be safe down to about e50 before you start losing the detonation suppression of ethanol.

turboeverything

Established Member
Fix the tune to .75-.8 with e85 then when you happen to hit a batch of e70 it's no big just be richer than normal..

Jensanity

Established Member
So if I got my car tuned for E85 anything lower e<85 my car would run richer due to more gas less alcohol, and anything above e>85 my car would begin to run leaner due to a higher alcohol content? Just want to make sure I am thinking about this right.

Are these other variations of fuel coming from pumps specific to them (ex: E70 pump says E70) or is it from inconsistencies in the E85 pump fuel??

turboeverything

Established Member
So if I got my car tuned for E85 anything lower e<85 my car would run richer due to more gas less alcohol, and anything above e>85 my car would begin to run leaner due to a higher alcohol content? Just want to make sure I am thinking about this right.

Are these other variations of fuel coming from pumps specific to them (ex: E70 pump says E70) or is it from inconsistencies in the E85 pump fuel??

Yes if your tune is set up for e85 and you fill with e70 it will run rich.. It will not be crazy rich but not optimal..
More alcohol leans it back out. So your on the right path

E70 is the winter version of e85..
I'm in Iowa so there is e85 every where..
I take a 100ml lab beaker and test the fuel around the beginning of summer..
To see if it's winter blend or summer blend.

Jensanity

Established Member
Yes if your tune is set up for e85 and you fill with e70 it will run rich.. It will not be crazy rich but not optimal..
More alcohol leans it back out. So your on the right path

E70 is the winter version of e85..
I'm in Iowa so there is e85 every where..
I take a 100ml lab beaker and test the fuel around the beginning of summer..
To see if it's winter blend or summer blend.

Thanks, bud! I'm in Arkansas and while E85 is becoming more prevelant it is still not in my area. 45min to the nearest pump. My gf lives almost 2 hours away and it's everwhere down there. I want an 85 tune but right now 60's BAP and stock pumps on 2.76/4# ported setup I don't think I flow enough.

KC_SVT

Established Member
I was tuned on e70 in 95* temps. My primary source of fuel is consistently e70. I was running into problems when the weather would get cooler and less humid I would go lean (12.3-12.4 AF). Since then, my tuner has loaded my handheld with tunes for e65, e70, e75, e80, and e85. I have a zeitronix ethanol content gauge in my return that reads the e%, so I fuel up, check the gauge, and then load the correct tune. However on cooler evenings I have to load a tune higher than my e% in the tank (60* night, e70 in tank, e75 tune loaded).

Last edited:

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
Wase of time IMO. Umless you are constantly looking for max wot power,there is no need to change tuneups when keeping within 10% of original E content.More than 10 will start feeling like its lazy,down on power,wont get on the tires like it should.At least that has been my experience.

, my tuner has loaded my handheld with tunes for e65, e70, e75, e80, and e85. I have a zeitronix ethanol content gauge in my return that reads the e%, so I fuel up, check the gauge, and then load the correct tune. However on cooler evenings I have to load a tune higher than my e% in the tank (60* night, e70 in tank, e75 tune loaded).

Users who are viewing this thread