E85 DYNO TUNE QUESTION

devilish64

Established Member
So I have a dyno appointment coming up soon to tune my 07 on E85. Currently the car is tuned on pump gas. I have ran e85 before but was running email tunes so it was easy to run the car empty and load the E85 tune at the gas station as I filled up. What is the correct method of switching fuels for the Ethanol tune? I would like to be able to run a tank of e85 through the car before I get it tuned, but is it possible to run e85 without a tune for e85? If not I guess the only way to do it would be to drain the tank to the best of my ability at my tuners shop and filling with E85. I just wonder if my tuner will like tuning the car on e85 knowing there is for sure some gas left in the system. Any insight on this is greatly appreciated.

Newtermiowner03

Established Member
No you def can't drive around on e85 with your pump tune. If I was in your shoes I'd drain it at your tuners shop. A little pump gas left in the lines isn't going to effect the tune and after several pulls will probably be ran out anyways. Most e85 isn't actually e85 anyways. But you should not run e85 on your pump gas tune. If it would run it would cause problems.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
As said, do not fill up with E85 on pump gas tune. Around here, the E85 pump ethanol content will vary with the season. The pump right now actually tests out at E66. You should verify the ethanol content at your favorite pump. I actually have 2 "E85" tunes to cover the range of ethanol content.

Newtermiowner03

Established Member
As said, do not fill up with E85 on pump gas tune. Around here, the E85 pump ethanol content will vary with the season. The pump right now actually tests out at E66. You should verify the ethanol content at your favorite pump. I actually have 2 "E85" tunes to cover the range of ethanol content.

Listen to your tuners advice. This is just my opinion. A lot of these new cars the ecu will give and take away timing itself and 2 tunes are not needed. My opinion though.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

devilish64

Established Member
Yea I understand..... the car will run super lean if I run e85 on the pump gas tune. I don't think the early gt500 computers are as "smart" as the 2010+ gt500's as I don't have any knock sensors or factory wideband. My tuner will probably wind up just pulling some timing out due to the octane variable...... multiple e85 tunes for the different ethanol percentage might be something I will run by him. Thanks for the input guys!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Listen to your tuners advice. This is just my opinion. A lot of these new cars the ecu will give and take away timing itself and 2 tunes are not needed. My opinion though.

It depends what the tune was developed on. If the tune was developed when E66 was what came out of the pump, and the tuner put you on the edge, you fill up with E85 and you will go "boom". You would have octane but be way lean. If the initial tune was developed and you actually had true E85, and you filled up with E66, you will be rich on fuel and maybe have enough octane, you might not go "boom".

Plenty of ecoboost guys running E30 tunes found out the hard way when you mix wrong, engine fail safes will not save your engine.

Newtermiowner03

Established Member
It depends what the tune was developed on. If the tune was developed when E66 was what came out of the pump, and the tuner put you on the edge, you fill up with E85 and you will go "boom". You would have octane but be way lean. If the initial tune was developed and you actually had true E85, and you filled up with E66, you will be rich on fuel and maybe have enough octane, you might not go "boom".

Plenty of ecoboost guys running E30 tunes found out the hard way when you mix wrong, engine fail safes will not save your engine.

This is a great video about e85. Again everybody believes different things. Regardless what I say or anybody else says the OP needs to listen to HIS tuner. That's why you pay him arguing and not following what he tells you just complicates things and makes it hard and the tuner and probably going to cause you several dyno sessions because you don't follow his instructions. If his tuner isn't working out lol I'd suggest getting another tuner. But OP this video will I think pretty much answer all your questions is a good informative video. But your main question running e85 on your pump gas tune the answer is NO. It probably won't run in the first place and if it did hurt the motor bad.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Who is tuning it? AED? He will tell you exactly what you need. Just trust him.

do NOT run e85 without an e85 specific tune.

RBB

Established Member
AED should be able to give you a drain tune and a basic E85 tune to get you to the shop. Just stay out of boost on the way there and you'll be ok. The drain tune turns your pumps on. I disconnect my fuel rail, connect a fuel filter to the line and run some plastic tubing off the filter. Key on, and the tank is drained quickly. At that point you just fill with the fuel of your choice and you're good to go.

Newtermiowner03

Established Member
I don't know AED I'm on the other side of the country. lol the best advice you can take is do what your tuner asks. Sit down with them tell them your goals what your wanting.And make a game plan and LISTEN to him. Don't be bull headed.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread