E55 AMG on E85/Meth

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Just added a meth kit, untuned for the meth, it picked up some nice top end. Meth numbers are in red..... I still need to adjust the a/f as it is sitting at 11.0 right now.

It made 532rwhp on a Dynamics Dyno and close to 700rwtq.

ResizedImage951348068044112_zpsf3820372.jpg

IMG_6012_zpsc006d6dd.jpg

Last edited:

BLK93GT

Established Member
That is nasty! I have been debating on getting an E55 AMG for a new daily. Any major issues with them? What other mods do you have?

redfire03 svt

Established Member
If well maintained, they are absolute animals and very reliable. Do you turn your own wrenches.

My mods are pulley, full exhaust, bigger pumps and injectors and modified fuel rail, LSD, throttle body, bigger intercooler and heat exchanger, trunk tank for ice with split cooling system, front mounted nitrous ring, E85 fuel with a meth kit.... Alot of my mods can be replicated for a lot less making similar power now.

As far as traction goes, I run Hoosier drags, turn traction control completely off at the track. On the street, it is a crap shoot. This car does however having an amazing traction system from the factory, so it does very well for the TQ it makes.

Go for it man, nothing like picking up a $100K car for low $20K range, amazing platform. Bottom end is stout with the weak link been the pistons, they are hypers, BUT no one has cascaded them yet with correct fueling and tune. Guys are running 600rwhp without any problems.

Last edited:

BLK93GT

Established Member
Yep, I do all my own work on both my Mustang and BMW. I had to invest in BMW diagnostic software but other than that found it to be no harder to work on.

They do not have an LSD from the factory? I heard the only real issue is if you have problems with the air ride system.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

BLK93GT

Established Member
Yea they seem like a killer deal for what they are. I was looking at those and E39 M5 as well.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

HIonPSI

Established Member
Absolutely insane :burnout:

Those cars are no joke, love them just cant do the auto. Also, isnt the transmission some crazy amount to replace? Seems like I heard that before.

REPCobra10

Established Member
Simply bad-ass! :rockon: I've always loved the E55's and yours make them that much more desirable...:beer:

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Appreciate it fellas. To answer some of your questions the motor is very expensive if bought from mb new, $70k. Same as the tranny, $15k new from mb. BUT, I just picked up a complete motor, everything for $6500 with 21000 miles on it. I also picked up a used tranny for $1500, so there are alot of options out there.

Airmatic used to be an issue, around $1200 a corner, but Arnott has come out with replacements for $400 a corner. Lastly, KW is now offering coilover conversion kits for $2500. I personally love the airmatic as you can raise the car 2-3" at the touch of a button, it is nice and soft, great for dragging.

Let me know if you have any more questions, i love converting mustang guys into e55's. We have quite a few now on mbworld along with lightning owners.

REPCobra10

Established Member
Let me know if you have any more questions, i love converting mustang guys into e55's. We have quite a few now on mbworld along with lightning owners.

You're certainly doing a fine job, man! :beer: Seriously, your information is good and nobody can argue with the abilities of the E55...:rockon:

Jroc

Established Member
Nice torque!

Who manufactures the factory blowers for the SC'ed AMG's? Lysholm maybe? Are they a roots or TS blower? Are the SC'ed AMG v8's a SOHC 3v motor? Long stroke motor?

Trying to figure out how it makes that much more torque than HP.

I remember back in the day(probably 03/04 time frame, and I was probably 21 or 22) I was out with my dad and we were riding down I-26 in his truck, and this E55 AMG with 4 middle age+ adults came costing up behind use pretty quick, and then got over in the left lane and just nailed it, and that car took off fast(very swiftly is a good term maybe) as hell, but you could hardly hear it. It was very quiet. I was thinking holy shit that's a bad ass like Benz. That thing was right by us and then way ahead of us in just a few seconds. Very impressive for such a big car carrying that many people, and to be that refined, especially 8/9 years ago. That's a Benz for you though. I think a SC'ed SL55AMG would be a bad ass car to have. A SL65 AMG would be even more bad ass but $ doesn't grow on tree unfortunately.

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Yes, the e55 is a sohc 3v 5.4 litre car. The dynamics numbers are a bit misleading though, i made 594rwhp/711rwtq on a dynojet. Of all the 55k blown cars, the e55 is the fastest believe it or not. They have a pretty good drag co-efficient.

As far as the v12 tt motors in the cl65, s65 they have not grown that platform much over the years as the 55k platform. Those motors get extremely hot and takes along time to cool down between pulld/runs. That is an expensive car to own, just an fyi.

Sleepr71

Established Member
I'm surprised that it was DOWN on power(below 4500) after the meth..but I think you said you haven't re-tuned yet:shrug:. Would be interesting to see how it does after a "re-tune"...either way, lots of power in a family car that I'd hate to mistake for an easy kill! :beer:.

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
Hey man I saw that beautiful car at the 1/2 mile....what was your MPH? I have 3 friends with E55's as dailys...one of em with exhaust and tune pulled my friends 03 911 turbo with tune, downpipe, and some other bolt on.

- Aj -

Established Member
My friend has an '06 E55 that is stock, he said modding them is really expensive. Any good links to well known tuners/parts suppliers?

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
I'm surprised that it was DOWN on power(below 4500) after the meth..but I think you said you haven't re-tuned yet:shrug:. Would be interesting to see how it does after a "re-tune"...either way, lots of power in a family car that I'd hate to mistake for an easy kill! :beer:.

when not tuned too much meth will cause a car to lose power...back in the day i was the first 300z TT owner to have meth injection on a car...it took a bit to get dialed in.

Users who are viewing this thread