E-85

wildaries83

Established Member
So I have read a few forumns and posts about swapping to e-85. However, no one has given a definite increase in hp wether 4-8% and I figure since been a year plus people can say whether or not the new 5.0 runs fine on it. Is it still just a tune that is needed? If I am pushing 430rwhp n/a what should I expect from e-85. Now I have yet to look up prices of e-85 gas here but I wonder what is city MPG without laying into it. I get 17 now with a dyno race tune. Thanks for the info!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
So I have read a few forumns and posts about swapping to e-85. However, no one has given a definite increase in hp wether 4-8% and I figure since been a year plus people can say whether or not the new 5.0 runs fine on it. Is it still just a tune that is needed? If I am pushing 430rwhp n/a what should I expect from e-85. Now I have yet to look up prices of e-85 gas here but I wonder what is city MPG without laying into it. I get 17 now with a dyno race tune. Thanks for the info!

try asking 93pony he is running E85 in his 2012 5.0. also to run E85 an make power you need bigger injectors on the 5.0

D.T.R

Established Member

There isn't a set amount you can gain. Every car and every motor is different. What is for sure is that you will definitely gain a good amount of power.

kingnut

Established Member
from the research ive done it seems E85 is only 94-96 octane and uses 30% more volume than 93 octane. it really doesnt seem very efficient.

D.T.R

Established Member
from the research ive done it seems E85 is only 94-96 octane and uses 30% more volume than 93 octane. it really doesnt seem very efficient.

Where did you get that from?
it's rated at 105 octane but it's a different type of fuel. Even though it's rated at 105oct ... the ethanol in it is more resistant to knock/detonation than any other 105oct fuel. People on e85 are making the same or more power than those on c16, which is 116octane.

NA_Cobra

Established Member

You'll need larger injectors, pumps and a retune. City MPG will go down drastically (11-12mpg) b/c E85 burns differently than gasoline.

Last edited:

sadleup

Established Member
I've heard you only need a tune for the new 5.0, the injectors and everything else is just fine. If anyone is running this, please step in and share your experience...I'm looking into swapping when I get back home.

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
You will need larger injectors and pumps , and a retune ..burns different than gasoline , stoich is different so a tune is a must ..and yes it take 30% more volume

NA_Cobra

Established Member
Gas Stoichimetry is 14.7 and E85 stoich is 9.7

I run about a 15-20% mix of E85 with 93. But I don't use it for the purpose of increasing octane, I use it to keep my engine clean.

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
In stock trim, there's been some people that have run e85 with just a tune for the specific fuel. The injectors, and pumps are sufficient.

Definitely PM 93Pony as I think I recall him doing it. I thought I had read that a bit over 400 to the ground was achieved with e85 and nothing but a tune. I may be completely off base on that though.

Radar Doc

Established Member
I've been running E-85 for about 7 months. The car hasn't been on a dyno or track this year, so I have no input on that, but I can tell you that injectors, fuel pump, etc are not required with minor mods. I'm running a Jon Lund tune. Mods are in my sig.

Coming from a Bama 93 race tune, SOTP acceleration and power delivery are improved. The E-85 burns much cleaner. Definitely keeps the exhaust pipes clean. That has to be good for the motor.

I data-logged the tune and nowhere near maxing any of the parameters. No problems whatsoever with knock or running lean. Max timing is at 26 degrees as delivered.

As you probably know, in colder climates, E-85 is actually E-70 in the Winter. I've had no issues with starting the car in cold weather (down to about 10 degrees so far this year). Also no probs running slightly rich due to more gas in the fuel.

In warmer temps, I'm getting 14-15 mpg in the city and 20-22 mpg highway running E-85. To compare, I used to get 17 mpg city and 24 hwy with 93 octane gas.

I know this doesn't answer your question on power gains; just sharing my actual experience with E-85 in a 2011 5.0.

Shaun@AED

I've run it.
I picked up 12-13HP on the dyno from E85 on the stock injectors.
Then swapped to larger injectors and picked up 4mph in the 1/4. The ECU has the capability of closing the TB if the car runs lean. Picking up MPH from an injector swap told me the stock units were maxed out.
I will not do an E85 tune without larger injectors as the stock units are inadequite.
Stock pump seems to be fine, but we can not log fuel pressure so I don't know for sure if it's running out or not.
Fuel economy dropped 5 from Gas and I've swapped back and forth several times to verify this #.

The main problem I have with E85 is the oil contamination. I can not stand the oil smelling like E85. That means it's not burning completely. Aside from that in cold weather it needs MORE fuel, even at WOT.
Track logging in 50 degree weather I've logged 15+% fuel correction due to the incomplete burn of E85 at colder temps. This is with CA E85 which has tested at 85+%.
Supercharged cars don't have this big of a problem as the combustion chambers stay hotter due to Boost.

I would not run E85 in the winter if my car was a daily driver. Race track and summer time fuel only IMO.

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

E85 is actually 95 octane, but *acts* like 105+ due to the cooling effect of the Ethanol on combustion chamber temps.

It has the same benefits and pitfalls of Methanol. Ask around at your track who runs methanol and what they like/don't like about it.

kingnut

Established Member
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85]E85 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Where did you get that from?
it's rated at 105 octane but it's a different type of fuel. Even though it's rated at 105oct ... the ethanol in it is more resistant to knock/detonation than any other 105oct fuel. People on e85 are making the same or more power than those on c16, which is 116octane.

Users who are viewing this thread