E 85 Consequences?

Flcracker

Established Member
I live in humid South Florida and was wondering if there would be any negative effects from leaving E 85 in the gas tank for six months without driving the car? Thanks.

jn2

Established Member
I wouldn't leave e85 sitting in the tank that long. There will likely be no ill effect on the fuel tank itself or your lines but e85 draws in moisture and begins to water down. You can try some fun stabilizer but I would still recommend against it

Flcracker

Established Member
Great information. Thanks. I'm very close to having a Fore fuel system installed and need to know what i'm getting into. The car is basically a weekend toy, so what's the best way to store the car if you only take it out two or three times a month? Thank you.

Should i keep the tank filled with E85 and add Lucas Stabilizer as mentioned above or is that only meant for long term storage? Can you beat on with Lucas in the tank?

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
another option being to have a pump gas tune as well, before storage run the tank down, fill with pump gas.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Yeah, I would only recommend the stabilizer if it was a month or so. 6 months? I would drain and fill with 93 octane.

Flcracker

Established Member
Hold on Hold on..... So if I plan on taking it out only on the weekends then I have to keep it filled with 93 during the week? That would mean having to burn a take of 93 before i can run some E85. Man, there's go to be another way.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
talk to @04sleeper about this, maybe we're wrong about the 6 month thing.

6 months and 5 days are different things man...I dont see a problem with keeping E85 in the car, driving it over the weekend and it sitting until the following weekend. With E85 its not like its gonna last ya real long per fill up anyway unless you really arent driving it far at all

Flcracker

Established Member
I asked about six months just to understand what could happen in the worse case scenario, but i'm really just concerned with how i'm going to run E85 in a weekend warrior. Anyway... so you say run it on the weekends with E85 and leave it empty till i run it again with E85 in a week or two? No need to do anything?

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
If the tank is full there is no air for the E85 to pull moisture from.

I was in full boost with lucas in the E85, no issues.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
So for a weekend car you recommend keeping in filled with E 85 and Lucas while it sits during the week? Thank you.

If you keep the tank full and drive weekly I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe run some lucas every couple of months. When a tank sits close to empty, water vapor has a lot of surface area to condensate onto.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Nothing to do with moisture. It is the acetobacter bacteria that feeds on the ethanol and excretes acetic acid.

Fuel stabilizer like Lucas contains diphenylamine which is a biocide that kills the bacteria.

Normally cycling the e85 out with a fresh fill essentially washes out the bacteria, so someone continually emptying the tank and filling up each week will never have a problem. It is when the fuel sits for a long enough period.

I've seen acetobacter destroy transfer pumps in as little as 5 months.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I really don't think it wud make a rats ass bit of difference as long as it was driven occasionally but the suggestions given can't hurt

nxhappy

Established Member
fuel can be a few months old when you fill it! so 6 months could be 8 or 9. so don't risk it. drain it all, fill later .....

Flcracker

Established Member
fuel can be a few months old when you fill it! so 6 months could be 8 or 9. so don't risk it. drain it all, fill later .....
So for a car that is not a DD that you take out two or three times a month for fun with E 85 you recommend draining out as much E 85 as possibly and leaving the tank essentially empty until the next time I put some E 85 in it? That seems like it would be the most convenient way for me to do this. Anyone else do it this way? Wondering if draining it still leaves enough E behind to attract moisture and the dreaded black goo?

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
d92f26fc-14ba-4f1e-8ea4-a3f36ef573dc_1.57dcb4eb6b9ad0735b65395a6de3aaec.jpeg

Flcracker

Established Member
"Normally cycling the e85 out with a fresh fill essentially washes out the bacteria, so someone continually emptying the tank and filling up each week will never have a problem. It is when the fuel sits for a long enough period."

I follow you . Thing is, I'm not " continually emptying the tank and filling up each week." I'm taking the car out on the weekends only. I'm also trying to determine what a " long period of time is."

BigPoppa, do you recommend, for a weekend warrior, to burn a tank of E on the weekend and keep it filled with E during the week while the car sits. Would you keep Lucas in it or just add for a car that sits longer that a week? Thank you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread