Dyno'd my M6 2006 Pontiac Gto

OH3MGSVT

cant 3x stamp a 2x stamp
Established Member
Well as most of you know I traded in my 03 Cobra for this 2006 Pontiac Gto and was curious was to what numbers it makes stock before I start modding it so I decided to just get a baseline test done. These are the results with 96 degrees in shop temps. and ZERO cool down time from the drive up there.

[youtube_browser]hRHBTdwF0E0[/youtube_browser]

426052_10151084971463408_1064629745_n.jpg

Not bad for what its worth, time to see what some mods will get me :banana:

harvboi05

Established Member
solid numbers for the heat. my father has an A4 and M6, i cant believe how much a cal wakes these cars up.

i peer pressured him for 6 years, he finally put a TVS on this spring. lol. what are your plans with the car?

OH3MGSVT

cant 3x stamp a 2x stamp
Established Member
solid numbers for the heat. my father has an A4 and M6, i cant believe how much a cal wakes these cars up.

i peer pressured him for 6 years, he finally put a TVS on this spring. lol. what are your plans with the car?

Yeah I hear that a good CAI really helps with power and prevents heat soak, man I would love to do a TVS on this thing! I think I will just make it a nice H/C/I car and call it good, not sure if I wanna go balls to the wall with it, I think I will pick up a fox roller to work with and make that my go-fast car. This will just be a real quick DD and it does make a great DD car!

6.0GTO

Established Member
Yeah I hear that a good CAI really helps with power and prevents heat soak, man I would love to do a TVS on this thing! I think I will just make it a nice H/C/I car and call it good, not sure if I wanna go balls to the wall with it, I think I will pick up a fox roller to work with and make that my go-fast car. This will just be a real quick DD and it does make a great DD car!

Not sure if you have already nailed down a tuner. I drive all the way down there for my tunes from Nic D. I'll be heading there soon for larger injector tune and speedo fix. Just put in 4:10's.

Z28

Established Member
Time for a Cam/CAI/Full Exhaust and be done. The stock 243 heads on those LS2's already flow pretty well. A nice cam and bolt-ons will put you well over 400 rwhp. Heads will gain you around 20 rwhp, tough to swallow for $1500-$2000. Best bang for your buck is definitely a cam swap.

OH3MGSVT

cant 3x stamp a 2x stamp
Established Member
Not sure if you have already nailed down a tuner. I drive all the way down there for my tunes from Nic D. I'll be heading there soon for larger injector tune and speedo fix. Just put in 4:10's.

I have heard a lot about Nic D's tuning, I might be using him, except my shop that I use has actually made more numbers on cars previously with a Nic D tune so I think Ill stick with my shop to make good numbers.

Solid numbers! Big fan of the GTO's.

Thank you! Yeah I love this thing, I should have gotten one a long time ago!

Time for a Cam/CAI/Full Exhaust and be done. The stock 243 heads on those LS2's already flow pretty well. A nice cam and bolt-ons will put you well over 400 rwhp. Heads will gain you around 20 rwhp, tough to swallow for $1500-$2000. Best bang for your buck is definitely a cam swap.

Yeah I keep hearing cam is the best bang for the buck, not to mention they sound AWESOME! Its also great that cams are SOOOO much cheaper compared to modular motors, and you can install it yourself! I will definitely be doing cam/ full exhaust/ intake for now, I might wait on the heads because like you said thats a lot of $$$ for not much power. I think I will do a custom cam to make good numbers. I would like to make the power my cobra did before I traded it which was 452rwhp. I wanna have that feeling again when I mash the pedal. Would love to make 450-500 NA hp.

Once you start modding it won't stop!
You sir are correct! I had that bug with the Cobra and know its going to continue with this one haha

Last edited:

clc44

Established Member
Good luck man. When is the first mod going on it? I had a H/C/I 04 (435/402) but just had to have a Mach 1 so sold it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes, those are definitely solid baseline numbers for sure. I've always liked the 2004-2006 GTO (especially the '06). I know a guy who has one and they definitely can be awesome daily drivers, even with a small family.

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
Keep us posted on the ownership experience, I am mildly interested in GTOs.

I will be getting a DD that I can have fun with(autox). I know the GTO is a pig and doesn't handle that great, and cannot fit big tires on the back but still the prospect has me thinking since it's a really good DD.

OH3MGSVT

cant 3x stamp a 2x stamp
Established Member
Keep us posted on the ownership experience, I am mildly interested in GTOs.

I will be getting a DD that I can have fun with(autox). I know the GTO is a pig and doesn't handle that great, and cannot fit big tires on the back but still the prospect has me thinking since it's a really good DD.

Will do man! :beer: yeah I'll admit it feels like a freakin boat around turns and handles shitty but I didnt buy it to go around turns fast, so for my need, its excellent. If i can get reliable power out of it while still having fun then its a winner in my books. Though I wish I coulda gotten a mach 1/lightning/etc. but I know its almost impossible to get loans for those anymore and I just am sick of the 99-04 interior its just soooooo boringggggg and after owning a new edge since 04 thats all im used to seeing, it was time for a change of scenery for a while

silvrsrt

Established Member
not to take anything away from marty (if thats who your tuner is) but nicD is the shit. He tuned my boss's whipple'd 2010 SS. sometimes I think my boss has more money then brains and would continually hot lap the shit out of his car! even in the AZ heat run after run the car would go mid 11's @ 122-125. That said a lot for his tune in my book. Also he tuned my roomates A4 formula with just longtubes and a catback it runs 12.80's @ 108-109.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I drove an 04 A4 more then once and I didn't think it handled that bad. Yet again, I drive a 4200lbs sedan so I guess I'm just used to big cars. I did love driving that thing though with the 18" vauxhall rims on it.

I say one of your first appearance mods needs to be the SAP grilles :beer:

6.0GTO

Established Member
not to take anything away from marty (if thats who your tuner is) but nicD is the shit. He tuned my boss's whipple'd 2010 SS. sometimes I think my boss has more money then brains and would continually hot lap the shit out of his car! even in the AZ heat run after run the car would go mid 11's @ 122-125. That said a lot for his tune in my book. Also he tuned my roomates A4 formula with just longtubes and a catback it runs 12.80's @ 108-109.

When I first got into these cars I thought about chasing tunes. You know, always changing to the tuner putting out the baddest numbers. Then someone much smarter than I sat me down and explained what nonsense that was. Different tunes on different days and different dyno's. You'll never stop.

Sounds like he has a good tuner so he is set. I decided the numbers I get from NicD are quite good and just as important his tunes have great driveability and a reputation of not blowing shiza up.

There are some simple suspension changes that improves the handling greatly. Radius rod bushings being the biggest. Duckman at Kollar Racing has all the bushings and suspension stuff you could want. I'm eyeing his BC racing coil-over kits. You can get 275's under the fenders without much work and correct offset but bigger than that there are issues.

Last edited:

smitty2919

Established Member
I did the same as the OP, went from a 04 GT to 03 Mach 1 and now my 04 M6 GTO. The ride is great for a DD and has power on tap. I just needed a change.

Once you get the quirks worked out they are nice cars.

OP get your ass under the car and check that center carrier bearing of the DS if you haven't. I wouldn't beat on it if it is torn/tearing. And check the BCM wires behind the glove box.

Congrats on the numbers. With the right mods they can be made to handle well, but I like the comfy ride of mine so all I did was replace the worn bushings in the front end (as you also may have bad ones) and replaced my sagging factory rear springs.

I do miss the simplicity and cheap parts of the 99-04 stangs though.

OH3MGSVT

cant 3x stamp a 2x stamp
Established Member

Yeah I hear he is a great tuner and have heard a lot of positive results from him, Im sure I would be happy with one of his tunes but I think for the time being Ill just stick to who I normally deal with as Im a loyal customer and they have never done me wrong so why change? :banana:

I drove an 04 A4 more then once and I didn't think it handled that bad. Yet again, I drive a 4200lbs sedan so I guess I'm just used to big cars. I did love driving that thing though with the 18" vauxhall rims on it.

I say one of your first appearance mods needs to be the SAP grilles :beer:

Yeah I was debating on those grilles, still tossing the idea around but not a for sure thing yet

When I first got into these cars I thought about chasing tunes. You know, always changing to the tuner putting out the baddest numbers. Then someone much smarter than I sat me down and explained what nonsense that was. Different tunes on different days and different dyno's. You'll never stop.

Sounds like he has a good tuner so he is set. I decided the numbers I get from NicD are quite good and just as important his tunes have great driveability and a reputation of not blowing shiza up.

There are some simple suspension changes that improves the handling greatly. Radius rod bushings being the biggest. Duckman at Kollar Racing has all the bushings and suspension stuff you could want. I'm eyeing his BC racing coil-over kits. You can get 275's under the fenders without much work and correct offset but bigger than that there are issues.

Yeah I hear those radius rod bushings and sagging rear springs are some of the things you need to look out for, how much is it to get all that stuff changed out? As far as pricing for the parts? Its something I need to do as my rear sags as it is now, not sure about the bushings and everything else though.

I did the same as the OP, went from a 04 GT to 03 Mach 1 and now my 04 M6 GTO. The ride is great for a DD and has power on tap. I just needed a change.

Once you get the quirks worked out they are nice cars.

OP get your ass under the car and check that center carrier bearing of the DS if you haven't. I wouldn't beat on it if it is torn/tearing. And check the BCM wires behind the glove box.

Congrats on the numbers. With the right mods they can be made to handle well, but I like the comfy ride of mine so all I did was replace the worn bushings in the front end (as you also may have bad ones) and replaced my sagging factory rear springs.

I do miss the simplicity and cheap parts of the 99-04 stangs though.

Me too man :-/ I miss the wide availability of 99-04 mustang parts its so hard to find any parts for these goats it seems like, I always saved thousands $$$ by buying used parts off here and it sucks I cant really anymore, I just want a full exhaust, cam, OTRCAI (svede) and a short throw but dont wanna pay a crap load for them brand new.

Good stuff Alex, saw it over at AZDG too :)

Thanks Ryan! Kinda bummed I didnt get into a 2011+ mustang gt like I wanted, I almost pulled the trigger on a 2013 gt brand new, but just couldnt justify that high of a payment as well as higher insurance due to it being such a new car, not to mention I just needed to change it up for a bit, I think my next car will be a 2011+ mustang for sure, but not sure if it will be a Gt or a Shelby, we shall see what happens when the 2015 mustang body style comes out and whats in store for those :rockon::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread