Dyno Video: 5500 RPMs And It Broke!

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
Demon,
I'm not positive but I think it "should" be about 190. As to why they vary so much? Good question. The rings are/were still sealing. The runs on the vid are the only time the car has been ran, minus various idle time.

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
Just talked to the machine shop. They gave me the go ahead to tear down the motor. They seemed to be a stand-up kinda shop so far. Not much use trying to point fingers at this point. It may have been something I did or did'nt do. Just have to tear it down to get any definite answers.

TuffyMan

Established Member
i've seen a plug like that before! One just like that came out of my motor. I broke 2 pistons; a few junks came off right at the ring land. I now have a new motor. I have the piston and rod on my desk as a reminder of what not to do with a blown 4.6. Do you want to see what it looks like?? I can post a picture of it. Good Luck!!!!

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
OK, I got off my @$$ and took the heads off. This is what I found. As you can see, pic #1 depicts the valves, soaking wet! :shrug: The head gasket is in tact.

brokehead001.gif

Pic #2 depicts #8 cyl. Notice the bit-o-parts at the 6 o'clock position. The "top" of the piston looks in tact. Again,... :shrug:

brokehead002.jpg

brokehead004.gif

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
ROADWARRIORSVT said:
OK, I got off my @$$ and took the heads off. This is what I found. As you can see, pic #1 depicts the valves, soaking wet! :shrug: The head gasket is in tact.

brokehead001.gif

Pic #2 depicts #8 cyl. Notice the bit-o-parts at the 6 o'clock position. The "top" of the piston looks in tact. Again,... :shrug:

brokehead002.jpg

brokehead004.gif

Okay, wtf is that? A piece of ring maybe or just a random piece of metal shaving?

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
Maybe it's just the glare in the photo, but it looks to me like the edge of the lower right intake valve, from about 9:15 to about 1:30. If not that, I would guess a section of valve seat or head casting around the seat, by virture of the sixe and shape. The excessive oil could also substantiate a valve issues as a damaged valve could easily damage the guide and valve stem seal, causing oil leakage.

Did I read this thread properly, that this was a brand new build with essentially zero miles belore the dyno? If that's the case, the amount of carbon buildup seems inconsistant with the amount of run time.

Good luck of getting a resolution and getting it together again.

Herb

blk96SVT

Established Member
When my motor went the ringlands on 7 and 8 were shot. I now have the LDC head cooling mod and a new shortblock

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
herb101 said:
the amount of carbon buildup seems inconsistant with the amount of run time.

Herb

Good eye Herb,
Yea, its a fresh motor, except the heads. My tricked out heads are stuck in CA, so I had to use some stockers, just to get the car running, trying to get to our only track before it closed. These heads won't go back on. I'm gonna drop the valves on #8 and see whats there, or not there!

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
I'm no engine builder, but are the pistions suppose to be THAT loose in the bore? Reffering to pic#2 cycl#8 Look at the top, you can clearly see a good 1/3 of the ring.

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
I was wondering about that too, but the engine builder reminded me that this is a purpose build engine that will see HIGH boost and the piston needs room for expansion.

All the seats and valves were in tact.

I just dropped the valves from that cyl and the adjacent cyl for comparison. All the seats were there, all the valves were in tact. Frick!?! I don't know? Here is cyl. #8. I'm open to suggestions as always.

brokehead012.gif

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
Has the short block been disasembled yet? If not i would higly recomened being present when it is dropped off and torn down. I did that with my motor so their is no question as to what the deal is. I also took a lot of pics. and the guy i'm using is well know/trusted.

When i blew mine it still ran and made power while knocking. It ended up having to much timming and it was detonating. The detonation broke chunks off the top of the piston(s) (Intake valve side). And one of the peices actually went back up the intake and came back down to the next piston back, putting many nick in the pistion/head till it went out the exhaust.

I have plenty of pictures if you would like to see them.

Have you pulled the other head off yet? Just incase something happend over their also. I doubt it as we can see #8 was soaked in oil. Can you give a close up of the bits of metal? Also if possible take them with a quarter next to them for size comparison.

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
Here is the chunks of metal found in cyl. #8 I dropped the valves from #7 & #8. Everything appears to be in place, so what this was and where it came from is still a mystery.

brokehead.gif

Here is #8 piston. This is the only piston I pulled as it was the only cyl. that had foreign objects in it. I'm trying to find out if the piston can be salvaged and recoated or is it a paperweight.

brokepiston001.gif

Last edited:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Those chunks look like some flashing that you would trim off of a metal mold or something. :shrug:

JDsfastGN

Established Member
man this is strange, good luck on it man, hope it all works out ok. I just helped a friend fix her lightning the other day, we pulled a plug (tr6) and it was smashed into the porcelin (sp?) and had no gap as well. Checked compression and it was good, so we stuck a new plug in and its running great so far, no noises. This may have already been asked and i didn't see, but since the heads are aluminum and that material looks aluminum could that be broken spark plug threads that fell into the motor at some point and got heated up and galled up to look like that?(looks to big but just throwing stuff out there.)

Last edited:

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
All the spark plugs were in tact, except for #8s grounding strap shoved into the electrode. The metal chucks stuck to a magnet ,so nothing aluminum :??:

JDsfastGN

Established Member
ROADWARRIORSVT said:
All the spark plugs were in tact, except for #8s grounding strap shoved into the electrode. The metal chucks stuck to a magnet ,so nothing aluminum :??:

hmm, what ever it is was probably left in the motor at some point of assembly then, hope it all works out.

Users who are viewing this thread