Dyno tuning my Marauder question?

BOSS324

Established Member
Hey all,

I wasnt happy with the numbers my 03 Marauder (4R70W) is putting out and wondering if 3rd gear wasnt locked while on the dyno how much HP would be lost. My tuner didnt lock out third and ive heard folks say that would give you a lower reading?

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Hey all,

I wasnt happy with the numbers my 03 Marauder (4R70W) is putting out and wondering if 3rd gear wasnt locked while on the dyno how much HP would be lost. My tuner didnt lock out third and ive heard folks say that would give you a lower reading?

Well one thing, was it on a dyno jet or a mustang dyno?

Your supposed to do the pull in 3rd gear, thats the 1:1 gear...

What were the numbers

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
dyno jet; my question was if it wasnt locked in 3rd would that give a lower reading?

1-2 would be higher, 4th would be lower... 3rd is the accurate....

After reading that over alot, another question popped in my head... When you mean "not being locked in 3rd", are you saying that the car shifted from 2nd to 3rd gear? that would skew the results but i think only on the lower rpm end.

BOSS324

Established Member
Thats what he was saying that they didnt lock the tc in third to do the run so i hear the reading will be lower when they do this.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Thats what he was saying that they didnt lock the tc in third to do the run so i hear the reading will be lower when they do this.

not having the torque converter locked would give lower readings IMO...

Next time have the tuner lock the car into 3rd gear and have the torque converter locked for a full pull, then you'll get an accurate readout

Glenn Ford

Atlanta Trilogy #1
Established Member
Getting somewhere

Now we are getting somewhere - should be locked in 3rd gear. This is where you lost your missing HP. Go to a good Mustang tuner and have the tune redone and your new results will be surprising.

Good luck - you have a powerhouse of an engine that should dyno at least 350 RWHP.

Glenn Ford

Last edited:

RacerXHG

13mm or 1/2in???
Established Member
That engine sucks! Sucks air! :banana: Getting the lower end forged in Jan and heads cleaned/checked. More $! At least she'll be solid like yours!

Users who are viewing this thread