Dyno tune worth it on NA Cobra?

marcoc

Established Member
My Cobra already has a "canned" tune but in the next few weeks I plan on getting the car on the Dyno and see what my bolt ons have done. The tuner I am taking it to has a good reputation in the northeast and from what he is telling me he may be able to get me more power and make the car perform smoother. Does anyone have good results from a Dyno tune on a naturally aspirated Cobra? Is it worth going Dyno tune over a boxed tune from BAMA and American Muscle?:??:

MrSteve

Established Member
I don't think you have the mods to warrant it, would it be good for driveability, absolutely, but really you don't have the mods done to it to really benefit from one.

marcoc

Established Member
I figured the same. Probably run it on the rollers and see what the car puts down and adjust air/fuel if needed. Will be good to see if the engine is running properly and safe since I bought the car with 74k miles and have no history :dw:. The motor pulls strong but this is the most powerful car I have driven.

01RedBeardCobra

Established Member
I figured the same. Probably run it on the rollers and see what the car puts down and adjust air/fuel if needed. Will be good to see if the engine is running properly and safe since I bought the car with 74k miles and have no history :dw:. The motor pulls strong but this is the most powerful car I have driven.

sad story

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
I don't know. Back in 03 with my last 01 I went from like 298 rwhp to 317, with midrange power greatly improved. Are you going to see a night and day difference? Probably not. But you have to have to right tuner to get the most out if it also.

01RedBeardCobra

Established Member
I've heard of a lot of people seeing great improvements with these cars with the sct tuner from American muscle. Comes with 3 different tunes.

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
Canned tunes made the car feel smoother. I was at about 297 rwhp before LT's and Bama tune, getting dynoed again on Saturday so it will be interesting to see the results.
EDIT: 10 rwhp gain will be a fail for LT's and tune, over 15 rwhp and I'll consider the tune effective

shurur

Established Member
It's worth doing dyno to see what you baseline is.

mine only makes 262 rwhp..making flywheel ~308.

But I now know my cams probably need to be degreed, my midpipe/mufflers replaced and a better ported NASVT intake and tune are needed.

It's pretty clear my 99 didn't get "the fix."..so now I have to.

but the dyno guy said that HP is about right for 99s..:shrug:

anyway..the previous mentioned mods plus UDP will hopefully get me 320 rwhp.
That will make me happy for a while..

Last edited:

marcoc

Established Member
My car does have an AM BAMA 93 octane tune and it pulls good with the 4:10 gears, I was looking to smooth out the power a bit better. I am not looking for miracles. My car is 13 years old it may need a custom tune to round out the mods. Going to get it on the rollers and see how it does. Better power delivery would be great.

marcoc

Established Member
sad story

Ok not sure why this is a sad story but I drive what I can afford so for now my 99 will have to do :shrug:. I just want to make the car perform a bit better, not looking for crazy HP, eventually that's were a blower can help. Right now looking to build my car as a good all around solid car and making the power a bit smoother and gaining a few HP would be a welcome addition.

thejib

Established Member
I would be really interested to hear the results if you do get a dyno tune. I recently purchased my second 99 cobra, and it already has 4.10s and full exhaust with a bama tune. However I am about to put a CAI on it and was planning on having it Dyno tuned afterwards. I feel like the current tune simply isn't getting the best out of the car... but who knows.

The other reason I was considering a dyno tune is that my check engine light is on due to the Cats being removed. Other than putting the cats back in what is the best way to get rid of these codes, I have to get it through Emissions, but they really only check for codes.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
i had my tune done such that it won't trip the CEL without cats. My car will actually pass a OBD II emissions scan with no cats.

You can fail one of the readiness checks on startup and not trip the light. The only thing turned off in my tune is the rear 02s

NicksGTR

Established Member
Ok not sure why this is a sad story but I drive what I can afford so for now my 99 will have to do :shrug:. I just want to make the car perform a bit better, not looking for crazy HP, eventually that's were a blower can help. Right now looking to build my car as a good all around solid car and making the power a bit smoother and gaining a few HP would be a welcome addition.
Poster only meant it was sad you haven't driven a more powerful car, IMO.

shurur

Established Member
It's easy for me to spend your $. If you decide to dyno, I'd like to see your results posted. Thanks.

Jamie R.

Established Member
I went from 286 on a canned Diablo tune on my predator to 300 for a tune on a dyno. So for me it was worth it.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

Users who are viewing this thread