Dyno tune worth it on a NA Cobra?

marcoc

Established Member
My Cobra already has a "canned" tune but in the next few weeks I plan on getting the car on the Dyno at New England Dyno in MA and see what my bolt ons have done. The tuner I am taking it to has a good reputation in the northeast and from what he is telling me he may be able to get me more power and make the car perform smoother. Does anyone have good results from a Dyno tune on a naturally aspirated Cobra? Is it worth going Dyno tune over a boxed tune from BAMA and American Muscle?:??:

SVTmystic290

Established Member
Every car performs a little differently. Those tunes are just generic tunes that they make up for what they "assume" you will be putting on your car. It certainly will not hurt to get a custom tune for your own car and your own mods. Plus talking to someone in person and having them get a feel for your car and mods greatly improves their ability to tune it.

marcoc

Established Member
Would be nice to improve overall feel of the car. A few extra hp is also welcome. The tuner claims with bolt ons most box tunes are conservative and the cars run a bit on the rich side to be extra safe. Going in a few weeks to get baseline numbers and take it from there.

ChromeSnake98

Established Member
i tuned my 98 na. 3 different pulls and managed an extra 3 whp. like said above every car is different, and it depends on what type of bolt ons you have but hopefully the tuner wont charge you $500 for a few dyno pulls and 3 hp lol

My2003Mach1

Established Member
hopefully the tuner wont charge you $500 for a few dyno pulls and 3 hp lol

THIS! and

REALLY? 3 HP? what is that? is that like Ant power?

Com'on man.. the guy is looking for good information and direction..

And IMHO it is not worth the money... (or your time)

Save your cash.. buy your wife or your kids something nice...

If you are having issues with your car then it be a good idea to take it to get bugs worked out. Other wise save your money and NOT do it.

Last thing... don't waste your time on "off the shelf tunes" they work great in go carts, not mustangs...

GL... if you have any questions PM me.

ChromeSnake98

Established Member
I'm not steering anyone in the Ering direction I was just saying it def wasn't worth it for me, but maybe other people had different experiences and to not make a $500 mistake. That's all.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
My advice is yes, go for it. Your car at this point is 14 years old and probably runs different than what one of those "canned" tunes is assuming.

Every car is different and responds to mods in different ways. Having a tune specific to your car is important

Not to mention, a canned tune won't help you pass MA strict emissions laws either. A dyno tune will 100% get you legal

THIS! and

REALLY? 3 HP? what is that? is that like Ant power?

Com'on man.. the guy is looking for good information and direction..

And IMHO it is not worth the money... (or your time)

Save your cash.. buy your wife or your kids something nice...

If you are having issues with your car then it be a good idea to take it to get bugs worked out. Other wise save your money and NOT do it.

Last thing... don't waste your time on "off the shelf tunes" they work great in go carts, not mustangs...

GL... if you have any questions PM me.

holy confusing post batman.........are you telling him yes or no?

My2003Mach1

Established Member
My advice is yes, go for it. Your car at this point is 14 years old and probably runs different than what one of those "canned" tunes is assuming.

Every car is different and responds to mods in different ways. Having a tune specific to your car is important

Not to mention, a canned tune won't help you pass MA strict emissions laws either. A dyno tune will 100% get you legal

holy confusing post batman.........are you telling him yes or no?

LOL sorry Yes get it tuned to clean it up.. BUT if hes only getting it tuned for HP then do not go get it tuned is what I meant..

If the OP is looking for the tuner to pull out RWHP, 0-10 RWHP will not be felt. But a cleaned up tune will just make the car run smoother.

Hope this clears up my meaning.. ( was at work (3rd shift) sorry) :beer:

howie8124

Established Member
I'm gonna be tuning my 98 cobra but that's because I deleted alot of accessories and did long tube exhaust and because of that ill need the help to pass emissions. Hoping to break into the 300s to the wheel!

LILBLKSNAKE

Village Idiot
Established Member
hopefully the tuner wont charge you $500 for a few dyno pulls and 3 hp lol

Here's my take on that...

1. If he improved drivability it was worth it (to me) on an older car
2. Highly unlikely that you paid 500.00 for the dyno time. Possibly 250.00- 300.00 of that had to be for the chip or Programmer which can be reflashed every time you alter the car. (I could be wrong)
3. As Ian said (FromGTto SVT) a good tuner can help pass emissions which is now effected by even simple exhaust mods.

From personal experience my 97 COBRA with just a CAI, Magnaflow high-flow mid-pipe and cat back picked up 11rwhp on the tune. Now years later, all I had to do for a VALID Massachusetts inspection was have Pete reflash the SCT chip.

marcoc

Established Member
Well guys I appreciate the opinions. I am getting much better feedback on the NewEngland forum. I am looking to improve overall performance of the car not just looking for HP. As others have stated its a 13 year old car I would like overall better performance- smoother. An individual from American Muscle BAMA tuner contacted me after they read my post and offered to make a custom tune with data logging from the Dyno such as A/F ratio, spark, etc. not sure if I should go that route or have NEDyno tune the car.

Green92LX

LOLZZZ
Established Member
Worth every penny to me. I do it to all my cars and I've even done it to a '01 GT with nothing but X pipe, catback and CAI and it was like a new car after. Didn't pick up more than 1-2hp, but the car just all around ran better, got better fuel mileage and for that, it was more enjoyable to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread