Dyno shows issues past 5K

Bite Me

Established Member
I went to the dyno friday for the first time. It seems the car struggles at 5K. A little background, O/R X, Full SLP LM2 catback, JLT TCAI intake. Past that everything else is stock as far as I know.

Whats up with the graph? Both runs showed the same. It acts like something is wrong. This car has never been tuned. I also do not have a tuner on it.

What do you guys think the prob is? I am going to get a tuner and tune from amazon regardless, but am I looking at something else that is wrong here?

IMG_1301.jpg

Last edited:

drews01cobra

I fly really low....
Established Member
Take a look at my dyno in my sig. It looks just like yours. I spoke with my tuner and he said that dip was due to timing and typical for a N/A cobra that hasn't been tuned. Others here told me it was typical for a stock N/A Cobra. Once again, a good tune should fix it. Your A/F moves around a little much....

Bite Me

Established Member
Your right. Its darn near identical. I am going to get a tune and we will see what that does for it. Thanks for the reply. Good to know I'm not the only one.

01bluesnake

Established Member
your dyno graph is too lean, the whole time you are above 14afr and should be at or close to 13 for best power. the car is breaking up like that because the ecu is more than likely picking up knock and pulling timing which is also y the power is a little low for the mods. you definitely need a tune and i would guess you could get 15-20 whp from it.

here is a pic of mine, my car has similer mods except a programmer i have a bassani off road x, slp catback with Xr1's, and k&n filter and programmer. i dont have the afr on the graph but it starts at about 13 and ends up at about 13.4 at the end
scan0001.jpg

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
You definitely need to richen your fuel mixture and I bet you could add more timing, definitely datalog and see how much spark advance you have at WOT from 4-6.5K, you'll wanna see 25-28 or even up to 30 with the correct A/F, And I don't like how that Dyno shop doesn't have a line on the graph for 13 A/F, It's set up 12-14!
svtcobra061.jpg

Last edited:

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
I agree with the statement that you're running lean. It appears the car is running out of fuel past 5k. Adjust the timing and add some fuel and that should smooth some things out. Nothing a good tune can't fix.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
IMO......that's NASTY lean. you never got below 14...that's just CRAZY!

My suggestion: don't go past half throttle much until you get that thing richened up. Stay in open loop.

01 Venom

Established Member
yep, looks lean to me perhaps to the point where its starting to ping and the knock sensors are yanking timing. And youre running out of fuel up top probably. I know my car was running out of fuel pump up top NA. Typical issue for us, stock fuel pump needs a little bit of help from a BAP in most cases

Bite Me

Established Member
IMO......that's NASTY lean. you never got below 14...that's just CRAZY!

My suggestion: don't go past half throttle much until you get that thing richened up. Stay in open loop.

I agree it isnt safe. Shes going to sit in the garage until it gets a tune. It may be somewhat normal for the 01's without a tune, but I dont want to risk it. Dont want to hurt my motor.

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
What type of pump do you guys suggest I upgrade to? At this point I am just going to start upgrading to get more power so getting a good base to start with first is the next step.
IDT you need a new fuel pump. YOu can datalog the FP Duty cycle to make sure when you get a tune, but looking at your mods/power level, you should be fine with the stock one.

I agree it isnt safe. Shes going to sit in the garage until it gets a tune. It may be somewhat normal for the 01's without a tune, but I dont want to risk it. Dont want to hurt my motor.
Nothing 'normal' about that AFR. Good call on letting it sit/taking it easy. You can still fire it up every once in a while and let it sit at idle to keep every thing 'up to par'.

Bite Me

Established Member
IDT you need a new fuel pump. YOu can datalog the FP Duty cycle to make sure when you get a tune, but looking at your mods/power level, you should be fine with the stock one.

Nothing 'normal' about that AFR. Good call on letting it sit/taking it easy. You can still fire it up every once in a while and let it sit at idle to keep every thing 'up to par'.

Cool. I have been reading up on it and I think your right. If I do ever charge it I will upgrade the pump.

Tune is on its way so we will see what happens.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Cool. I have been reading up on it and I think your right. If I do ever charge it I will upgrade the pump.

Tune is on its way so we will see what happens.
:beer:
On it's way? As in mail order, or handheld, or the time for you to go is coming up?

drews01cobra

I fly really low....
Established Member
I'm not the OP, but I have a question. My 2001 is stock for now...usual bolts on in the near future....should I upgrade to a higher flow FP, or keep the stock on and add a BAP? The stock one is working fine now.

ttk53

Established Member
I find it hard to belive that these cars need an upgraded fuel pump with intake and exhaust. But thats just me and maybe I have no clue.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
There is no way your fuel pump will be maxed out on your NA Cobra unless it's going bad, just like others have said check its Duty Cycle!
On my last Dyno run mine was only at 47%~

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread