Dyno Runs and Steeda CAI

Weasel

Established Member
In December I had my car dynoed after driving a number of months with my Bassani xpipe/catback and a Holley drop in filter with snorkle in. Here is the result:

Weasel

Established Member
A few weeks ago I installed a Steeda CAI and this past weekend had the car dynoed again. I was happy about the gain but was surprised about the big difference in the A/F readings.

Mike

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You didn't say what your mileage was in December. If it was under 2,000 miles I would guess that some of the increase on your latest dyno pull might be due to additional engine breaking in. I have the Steeda CAI myself by the way. And I love it.
:burnout:

You posted some nice numbers but 427 rwhp seems to be high for a catback/X-pipe & Steeda CAI as your only mods.
:)

Last edited:

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I'm thinking of doing the Steeda CIA and bassani set up. You reccomend it weasel?

Weasel

Established Member
CobraBob,
Sorry, forgot to mention. In December the first runs were done at a little over 8,000 miles. Got the car at the end of June 02. Now I have a little over 15,000 miles. I don't believe that breakin was a factor. In fact it was colder (much) in December than this past Saturday, so I'd figure and advantage for the first runs. All runs were done on the same dyno. Bassin (Mike) and Brad were there to witness and ran their car sometime after I did.
I noticed a big difference in the A/F readings and believe that is a contributing factor as it got leaned out from the CAI installation from what I had before (very rich as normally seen).
BTW, where weere you on Saturday.

Mike79,
I'm very happy with my setup; as they say, it's hard to argue with success.

Mike

03_Sonic Blur

Wanna Talk? PM Me
Established Member
I'd say from looking at the dyno sheets, you're A/F Ration leaned out on the last runs, picking up HP.

The first sheet looks pig rich, IMO. It appears to drop off the scale?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hi Mike,
Yeh, I'd say your engine was broken in sufficiently in December. LOL! The A/F could be the reason with the higher mark. Nice numbers.

Where was I supposed to be on Saturday night? The Wallingford K-Mart cruise? I didn't go because it started raining here around 4:00 and rained off and on most of the night.
:burnout:

CuLaTeR

Established Member
Ok say the stock dyno on that car was 360. You gained 60hp with a cai and exhaust? Rather high don't you think? Is that possible?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by CuLaTeR
Ok say the stock dyno on that car was 360. You gained 60hp with a cai and exhaust? Rather high don't you think? Is that possible?
Some have seen close to 370-380 stock rwhp so his might be one of those.

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
Those numbers are not SAE, are they? The corected number would be around 415 HP, right?

Weasel

Established Member
Originally posted by CuLaTeR

Sorry, but I didn't get stock numbers. I only had the car for 3-4 weeks before putting the exhaust on. I agree that the numbers are high based on a 360 number, but I'm assuming the starting number was higher. It must have been; I was surprised at the numbers I saw in Dec. with just the exhaust.
As an example, check out Bassin's stock numbers. He dynoed only with snorkel out at around 390.
Other than that, I don't know what else to say. All I did was get in my car and step on the gas.

Mike

Weasel

Established Member
Originally posted by brasil
Those numbers are not SAE, are they? The corected number would be around 415 HP, right?

The numbers are SAE.

Mike

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
That is great! You have a factory freak. Add a TB with a plenum and you will have a 440 - 445 RWHP Cobra without a chip or pulley!:eek: :beer:

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
I have the same setup and I dynoed at 900 miles on my car. Here's my dyno. I'll have another dyno at the end of this month with 2000 miles and see what difference the break in will make. This dyno is known for low numbers, but it was the closest and it was cheap.

redfiredyno.jpg

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Weasel, did you dyno with or without the baffles. I think I'm going to try dynoing both ways to see if there is a difference. My car definitely feels better now, so I'm sure I'll dyno higher. My A/F killed a lot of my power too. Here's a pic of the A/F

redfireaf.jpg

Last edited:

Weasel

Established Member
I've never taken the baffles out; too lazy. I think Postban compared with and without a while ago and there was very small or no difference if I remember. Do a search for his name. He has links in his signature that will give you the info.
I can't remember at what number of miles I felt the car loosen up. I watch my gas mileage (out of curiosity for consistency. If it goes way down something's wrong). Over the course of the first few months my mileage would increase. It may have been 1500-2000 miles before it leveled off. I'm not really sure; I'm trying to remember subtle observations from almost a year ago.
Try it again at 2000 miles and see how it is.

Mike

Last edited:

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
The Leaner the more HP u get. But looks like ur A/F was more steady then before. Staying more consistant.

But damn nice numbers...BTW TB wont get u into the 440rwhp. I only got 8hp out of the TB. for 6bills i rather spend it on the Pulley which had the most gains for me thus far & cheaper then a TB.

Weasel

Established Member
Black2003 - I took a look at your charts. Your numbers look almost identical to my early runs.
I'm very happy with the setup. It runs well, idles well, and I'm driving a car with more horsepower than I ever thought I would. My understanding is that people shoot for 11.5-12.5 A/F up high (someone correct me if I'm wrong. So, I think I'm right on the money. A tune would even that level out throughout the range. Before the CAI my car was quite lean in the low rpm range, then got very rich. Now, I don't think it's that much leaner down low, but up high it's where it should be. I don't plan on doing any mods that will effect my warranty. Like I said, I'm happy.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread