Dyno results with bolt-ons!!!

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
I figured some of you guys would be interested in hearing about my results from the dyno today. I previously made a baseline pull of 356/303 (Mustang dyno) when my car was stock (45 days ago). A few days later I backed up that stock dyno pull with 6 consecutive 117mph traps in the qtr mile.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u1j5Y9U38M"]2012 Boss 302 at the drag strip - YouTube[/nomedia]

Last week I installed a set of American Racing long tubes with hi flow cats, Maganaflow catback, and an Air Raid cold air intake. I was curious to see what kind of gains I made with those parts, which resulted in a peak gain of 36whp/40tq.... WITH NO TUNING/STOCK TUNE. I was fairly impressed!

IMG_9363_2.gif

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyO7E8tGIy0"]2012 Boss 302 Dyno pull - YouTube[/nomedia]

I was also pleasantly surprised to see the stock a/f's at 12.0's at WOT. I took several data logs and JMS is preparing a tune for me tomorrow, which will hopefully further the gains with my new parts.

Last weekend I made another trip to the dragstrip but could not make a single successful pass due to major traction issues (stock wheels/tires). However, my very first pass I trapped 120mph, and I was all over the strip, feathering 1st & 2nd gear :eek:. Once the tune is straightened out I know she'll trap 122+, and I have a set of 15x10 RTS Welds arriving next week, 275/60-15 MT ET's are in my garage waiting :rockon:

Anyway, I was pretty happy to see those kind of gains with no tuning, and a safe/conservative a/f ratio. I will be flashing in a new tune tomorrow, and headed back to the strip as soon as they open again, this time with some sticky tires :rockon:

Last edited:

ihatepotholes

Established Member
Congratulation! 120 trap with bolt on only is really really strong. I know you were trapping 117 bone stock, you might have a factory freak. but what do our cars generally trap on average? Also, what does a stock 5.0 gt put down on your dyno? So we can compare the difference.

I'm super excited, I was always under the impression of boss and 5.0 gt have similar power and trap speed.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
The Air Raid not only looks amazing but the fitment is excellent. I did have to widen/open up the area where the plugs clips into the tube, very minor adjustment. I was also pleasantly surprised that the driveability was perfect with a full exhaust/cai on the stock tune.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
Congratulation! 120 trap with bolt on only is really really strong. I know you were trapping 117 bone stock, you might have a factory freak. but what do our cars generally trap on average? Also, what does a stock 5.0 gt put down on your dyno? So we can compare the difference.

I'm super excited, I was always under the impression of boss and 5.0 gt have similar power and trap speed.

The 120 trap was without tuning and without traction :lol1:. I really don't believe in factory freaks, however track conditions and driver Kung Fu has a lot to do with drag strip results. I've been down the strip 500+ times with 500whp+ cars, on street tires/drag radials. I think I was getting everything out of my Boss that day but the conditions weren't the best, 80 degrees and +1980 DA, very unfavorable compared to the north east (ATCO, MIR, Cecil). Needless to say, I honestly believe a stock Boss in perfect conditions, with a great driver is capable of 12.0-12.1 on stock wheels/tires (IMO).

The shop I went to specializes in Subarus, they haven't had any 5.0's on their dyno, however based on results from other dyno's I'd say the Boss makes a little more hp, and a little less tq, and has a 7350 redline compared to the GT's 6500 ( I think).

Also, a stock GT was at the strip when I was there when my Boss was stock, he trapped 113mph all day compared to my 117mph. Hope that helps add to the confusion :beer:

Last edited:

ihatepotholes

Established Member
The 120 trap was without tuning and without traction :lol1:. I really don't believe in factory freaks, however track conditions and driver Kung Fu has a lot to do with drag strip results. I've been down the strip 500+ times with 500whp+ cars, on street tires/drag radials. I think I was getting everything out of my Boss that day but the conditions weren't the best, 80 degrees and +1980 DA, very unfavorable compared to the north east (ATCO, MIR, Cecil). Needless to say, I honestly believe a stock Boss in perfect conditions, with a competent driver is capable of 12.0-12.1 on stock wheels/tires (IMO).

The shop I went to specializes in Subarus, they haven't had any 5.0's on their dyno, however based on results from other dyno's I'd say the Boss makes a little more hp, and a little less tq, and has a 7350 redline compared to the GT's 6500 ( I think).

Also, a stock GT was at the strip when I was there when my Boss was stock, he trapped 113mph all day compared to my 117mph. Hope that helps add to the confusion :beer:

thanks for all the answers! and again, congratulation on the awesome time! looks like bolt on Boss have pretty good top end. 4mph difference is pretty significant.

Atco is definitely a fast track. i live 5 minutes away from Englishtown raceway, but i think this weekend is the end of the season for them =(

Last edited:

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
Great MPH!

What are your impression on the headers and mid pipe with cats?

I was contemplating between the American Racing 1 7/8 LT headers and Cats, vs the Kooks parts. Where did you get the AR parts from and are you pleased with their quality, fit and finish, etc...?

With your new good tune coming you should be able to pick up 20-30 WHP! Another 3 MPH! PLUS have another 500 RPM to work with!

AWESOME!

Mike

Last edited:

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
^ I'm very happy with the headers. The mechanic that installed then said he had a set of Kooks on his 11 GT and he told me he was envious of the American Racing headers, but not sure why. The full exhaust sounds spectacular, but I do miss the sidepipes......although I wouldnt trade my headers for the sidepipes. I bought my headers from Lethal, using one of their 5% off discount codes. I do my best to support the forum vendors.

IMG_9248.gif

I'll post up dyno/strip results with my new tune and tires :beer:

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
^ I'm very happy with the headers. The mechanic that installed then said he had a set of Kooks on his 11 GT and he told me he was envious of the American Racing headers, but not sure why. The full exhaust sounds spectacular, but I do miss the sidepipes......although I wouldnt trade my headers for the sidepipes.

That would be one advantage of the Kooks, you would get to keep the sidepipes. I wouldn't be surprised that the Kooks is a lot more expensive though.

beaner

wee-man
Established Member
i think you might have a freak. of coarse diff sea levels and ect but mine stock would only hit run 12.5 @114. and after a tune only 12.4 @115 and i am pretty good driver and can usaully get the most out of a car . the second trip with the tune did have a big head wind. post a video so we can hear your cars exhast. congrats on times

beaner

wee-man
Established Member
oh ya do you cool your car down or run it hot? i have only run mine hot did not know if computer cut any timing per heat or something like that

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
i think you might have a freak. of coarse diff sea levels and ect but mine stock would only hit run 12.5 @114. and after a tune only 12.4 @115 and i am pretty good driver and can usaully get the most out of a car . the second trip with the tune did have a big head wind. post a video so we can hear your cars exhast. congrats on times

what were your 60ft's? How were the conditions when you went to the strip (prep, temp, DA)? There are a lot of factors that go into drag strip results. I dont have a factory freak, just a lot of experience. I also hold some respectable drag strip accomplishments with 3 other cars (04 STi, 06 Z06, 08 Z06). Road and Track got the same results as me, 12.3@117mph, and another forum member posted up a 12.2@117 with a catback.

Where did you get your car tuned? You should have gained a lot more than .1/1mph at the strip.

I definitely let my car cool down when I arrive at the strip (typically 45mins+), as well as 30mins+ between runs. I sometimes make 2 back to back pass's if their are no lines.

12C/OBoss

Established Member
You wanna blower for that setup? BTW I was looking at STi vids on youtube the other day and came across your dogbox vids...loved that car!!

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
You wanna blower for that setup? BTW I was looking at STi vids on youtube the other day and came across your dogbox vids...loved that car!!

I had a love/hate relationship with that ppg dogbox......

I'd love to have the KB, but not ready for that investment yet though, thanks!

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
I flashed in a tune from JMS, haven't been back to the dyno. The car completely annihilates the stock tires 1-3 gear. I have a set of 15x10 RTS Welds + 275/60-15 MT ET's, headed back to the strip as soon as they open back up for the new season. I might put it back on the dyno to check the results and get some data logs, I'll post up the results if I do that.

beaner

wee-man
Established Member
what were your 60ft's? How were the conditions when you went to the strip (prep, temp, DA)? There are a lot of factors that go into drag strip results. I dont have a factory freak, just a lot of experience. I also hold some respectable drag strip accomplishments with 3 other cars (04 STi, 06 Z06, 08 Z06). Road and Track got the same results as me, 12.3@117mph, and another forum member posted up a 12.2@117 with a catback.

Where did you get your car tuned? You should have gained a lot more than .1/1mph at the strip.

I definitely let my car cool down when I arrive at the strip (typically 45mins+), as well as 30mins+ between runs. I sometimes make 2 back to back pass's if their are no lines.

ya prob prep, sea level, density, and several other factors. 60 ft were 1.9. got my tune from jms. it feels like it made a diff. before would only scratch third and now it will smoke them for a good thirty to forty feet in third,but there is still factory freaks out there. i have had some 03-04 cobras run mid to low 12,s stock and others would have to have pulley and cold air kit to do the same thing and at same track and conditions. there variations was due to cam timing not being accurate from car to car.mm&ff only got trap speeds out of there boss like mine but there conditions were prob close to mine, hot and humid.

Users who are viewing this thread