Dyno on 15 GT Auto with JLT and BAMA Performance rant, poor Bama performance...

bunk22

Established Member
So, had my car tuned today, road tune then put on the dyno. Only mod is a JLT with future mods full exhaust (long-tubes, x-pipe with cats, etc), like i had on my old 2012 Mustang GT, C6 Vette. I simply like the sound and the average tq gains across the RPM range help the car get up and go. The dyno is a dynojet and the numbers are SAE corrected, but just a number. My car is a 6-speed auto with 3.55 gears and the JLT...peak numbers were 416rwhp/386rwtq SAE.

12359266_10207065661034065_1585576884_o_zpsdfkabpfa.jpg

Peak hp..
12359743_10207065661474076_641364254_o_zpshgke39x7.jpg

Peak TQ..

12364246_10207065661274071_2056902759_o_zpshhsmapk1.jpg

Okay, now comes the Bama rant. I did have a Bama tune in my car and it ran okay, nothing great but the car drove good and that's what I wanted. Well, as of late had some check engine lights, the codes reading lean. I called them and this is where the issues began (well, had issues the first time too). The customer support from Bama is not good, lacks big time. The first time I got thier tune, pre JLT, the guy on the line copied down my credit card number and cell number but to ensure it was correct, I asked him to read it backand he said he he had it, and regardless of my demands, he would not. It certainly seemed I was bothering him and guess what, he didn't have it correct and it took days to get the information fixed and get the tune.

So now, I wanted another tune due to the codes but along came the same poor customer service. I sent 4 emails requesting the appropriate information so that I would receive the email that contained the modification form I needed to fill out for the tune...granted, I had the same mods, which I told them through the emails and many phone calls. I then got a guy on the line who I requested to walk me through the process, simply to ensure I got the email. It never came. I will say the marketing guy here on SVT does a good job selling the product but the professionalism and customer service from Bama is not good, **** weak at best.

As far as my current tune, the custom tune is more aggressive, at least if the butt dyno is believed. The shifts are crisper as well, just a better to have it done on the street, on the dyno. I also requested, from Bama, a data logging tune, twice asking but was denied each time, saying I didn't need it. Fair enough but when the paying customer asks for something, you grant that request. When I had my AED tune in my 2012, Shawn took the time to talk to me, data log my car, fine tune his tune, returned all emails, etc, etc....rjust excellent customer service. Bama is anything but, in my experience of course.

Anyway, rant over, better tune in my car and I will not use Bama or Muscle Performance for anything again. Oh, the shop just tuned a brand new 2016 Camaro SS with the LT1...I saw the dyno, 440rwhp/430rwtq SAE. One strong motor in that car!!!

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
Honestly I'd never run a Bama tune or any tune from a tuner that says NO to data logs. Heck I ran vs a 14GT Track Pack with my 15 GT PP and I was bone stock on street tires running 2.1 60ft's and still put a beating in trap and ET on his bolt on Bama tuned car twice.

Last edited:

bunk22

Established Member
Honestly I'd never run a Bama tune or any tune from a tuner that says NO to data logs. Heck I ran vs a 14GT Track Pack with my 15 GT PP and I was bone stock on street tires running 2.1 60ft's and still put a beating in trap and ET on his bolt on Bama tuned car twice.

I agree, I should have known as this is my 5th car in which I've modded, needed tuned. My last tuner was AED and his customer service was rock solid and of course data logged his tunes. Bama is awful, I'll never use them again, they are a joke.

whatsup62

Established Member
I have read so much negative about bama over the years. How is this place still in business????

Probably because for every one bad complaint they have 2-3 good...idk. I had a Bama tune in my car from day one. They always responded within a day and emailed my revised tune within the same week. The car ran great on their 93r tune. Never an issue with Bama here. I just recently switched to Lund because I like the Ngauge and am going FI. I thought this process would be better at data logging and dialing the car in.

bunk22

Established Member
I had read enough about their issues but their SVT marketing guy was convincing so against my better judgement, I went with them. I will never again, they are a poorly led, unprofessional company. They were courteous enough when I let them have it but their tunes are not all that.

myke hunt

Feugo
Established Member
What mods do you have myke?

Hunter I have nothing more than a heavily revised tune from Lund and a SW catback. I lost 6-8rwhp back to back with the SW exhaust so I cut out the middle mufflers on her, haven't dyno'd since. My 2012 with full exhaust, AED tune, and Airaid made 420/390 on the a dyno I did 370/360 on a few weeks ago (different shop than the stock and tuned run in my sig).

bunk22

Established Member
nice numbers, made a lot more than I did!

He could have a dyno that reads high as well, I don't put much stock into dyno numbers unless the track backs up the data. No tracks around here and I don't run anymore but my biggest concern was getting it tuned by someone other than Bama. I know it's the net, so there is a lot of bull$shit, a lot of MSU info but I too had read bad Bama stories. I ignored it, went for a tune and ended up being burned. Lesson learned.

Last edited:

bunk22

Established Member
Hunter I have nothing more than a heavily revised tune from Lund and a SW catback. I lost 6-8rwhp back to back with the SW exhaust so I cut out the middle mufflers on her, haven't dyno'd since. My 2012 with full exhaust, AED tune, and Airaid made 420/390 on the a dyno I did 370/360 on a few weeks ago (different shop than the stock and tuned run in my sig).

On this same dyno, with an AED tune, my 2012 6-speed with a C&L CAI, Kooks 1 3/4" long-tubes, x-pipe with cats and axle back made 419rwhp/400rwtq SAE on a 4th gear pull. Something about their dyno in which they can't do a 5th gear pull but it may have made 4-5 more rwhp so maybe 420-424rwhp with a 5th gear pull. So very close in numbers between our two old cars.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
OP - the numbers seem low to me.

A member here and on S197Forum runs a Bama tune and will shit on any other tuner to defend them. No matter the reason, anyone but Bama sucks.

Each person has a different experience with different tuners. Facts don't lie and nor do numbers. I liked the Bama name when I first got into mustangs almost 8 years ago and did some research before hand and avoided them.

Despite the bad, I run with AED. Shaun has been awesome to deal with and he will be the only person I want tuning my car.

Users who are viewing this thread