Dyno numbers with mods torque seem low

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Numbers are STD not SAE, I believe the conversion is - 3%.

It is STD, I thought STD was actual power and SAE was a converted ave to normal circumstances. Meaning if its cold out STD would run high, and if it is hot STD would run lower than SAE. Since this dyno was done in winter I believe it is safe to say SAE would be lower. How much would be determined by the conditions when dynod.

RedfireWhipple

Established Member
You still did not answer my question, but instead gave a long winded story. In the story you mentioned 580 give or take as high. 620-580 is a 40rwhp drop from 93 to 91 oct. This equates to about a 7% drop.

As I have said before there will be far more variation in the dyno than in oct performance!

I'll answer this and I'll do it with experience and not a guess. It all matters what the tuner / owner is willing to do here. Meaning- are they willing to run the tune on the edge? the difference in 91 - 93 octane COULD allow 1-2 more degrees of timing. Factual info-- 1-2 degrees of timing on these cars could easily be 30 rwhp... On 03 Cobras, 1 degree of timing (at a safe/decent A/F ratio of 11.5) ended almost always being worth around 16 rwhp.. PER DEGREE. (Now of course keep in mind - that doesn't mean you can just keep increasing the timing and keep gaining- there is of course diminishing returns and eventually detonation) So- 2 degrees, could easily be worth 30 rwhp.

The reason why I said it depends on the tuner is that some guys want a good DYNO #, so they may be willing to make a couple runs on the dyno at as far as they can go on timing (which of course is very tied into the fuel and what the fuel will allow on timing) and maybe even at an 11.8-20.0 A/F - all to get a good number. What a lot of people Don't know is that Many good tuners will make some strong numbers that may be on the edge for the dyno and then - sometimes with the owner knowing and sometimes not lol, will back it off just a tad bit by say either lowering the timing 1 degree and/or fattening up the A/F by a couple tenths as well.

So -- a long story short, the difference between 91 and 93 octane is factually worth decent power IF you all think 20-30 rwhp IS decent enough power to be worthwhile. Some of us spend $5-600 dollars for a 30 rwhp increase...

Hope that helps.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I'll answer this and I'll do it with experience and not a guess. It all matters what the tuner / owner is willing to do here. Meaning- are they willing to run the tune on the edge? the difference in 91 - 93 octane COULD allow 1-2 more degrees of timing. Factual info-- 1-2 degrees of timing on these cars could easily be 30 rwhp... On 03 Cobras, 1 degree of timing (at a safe/decent A/F ratio of 11.5) ended almost always being worth around 16 rwhp.. PER DEGREE. (Now of course keep in mind - that doesn't mean you can just keep increasing the timing and keep gaining- there is of course diminishing returns and eventually detonation) So- 2 degrees, could easily be worth 30 rwhp.

The reason why I said it depends on the tuner is that some guys want a good DYNO #, so they may be willing to make a couple runs on the dyno at as far as they can go on timing (which of course is very tied into the fuel and what the fuel will allow on timing) and maybe even at an 11.8-20.0 A/F - all to get a good number. What a lot of people Don't know is that Many good tuners will make some strong numbers that may be on the edge for the dyno and then - sometimes with the owner knowing and sometimes not lol, will back it off just a tad bit by say either lowering the timing 1 degree and/or fattening up the A/F by a couple tenths as well.

So -- a long story short, the difference between 91 and 93 octane is factually worth decent power IF you all think 20-30 rwhp IS decent enough power to be worthwhile. Some of us spend $5-600 dollars for a 30 rwhp increase...

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the information. However the question is could the difference between 91 and 93 oct be 30+ rwhp on a stock 13 GT500. Meaning stock GT500 with 93 will pull 620 and the 91 will pull 590. Is it that big a difference?
And since you have the experience do those numbers seem reasonable on the op modified car? Last question is there more hp variation with different dynos or 91-93 oct usually?:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread