dyno numbers on stock boss

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
I wouldnt pay much attention to dyno numbers unless you plan to establish a baseline for future mods. Go to the drag strip for definitive feedback, but even then you will see a swing of 2-4mph based on conditions.

My bone stock Boss dyno'd 356/303 (quite possibly the lowest ever)....then backed it up with a trap of 117.99 (one of the highest trapping stock Boss's). Some Boss's are putting down 390whp on dynojets but they are only trapping 114mph. See what I mean? :lol1:

Shaun@AED

Had a stock 2012 on my dyno not too long ago. 414RW Black key, 418RW Red key.
STD corrected.

Dyno #'s don't mean crap to me either as it's a tuning tool, however I can compare these #'s to the GT's I've had on the dyno. GT's with a CAI and Cat-back make similar #'s peak.

The Boss actually made significantly MORE power under 3K than a GT with stock intake manifold. GT's made a bit more TQ in the middle.

My own GT puts down 432 / 445 on my dyno (gasonlie / E85) and runs 120-122 consistently (gas / E85) at the local track.

Seeing the powergraph, logging lb/min airflow, then comparing to the Boss's I've tuned but not dynoed, I REALLY want a Boss!

They look to respond quite well to longtubes, full 3" exhaust and a CAI. (lb/min airflow jumping 5lb/min at 7500RPM)

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Just had one on the dyno yesterday. 2013 Boss put down 393rwhp 351ft.lbs SAE Corrected.

cloud9

Established Member
Mine made the following last fall on a Dynojet with about 6k miles on the odo:

407 rwhp/365 rwtq STD corrected

398 rwhp/356 rwtq SAE corrected

The power curves were virtually identical across the RPM range for both the regular key and TracKey.

Wiseguy

Established Member
Had a stock 2012 on my dyno not too long ago. 414RW Black key, 418RW Red key.
STD corrected.

Dyno #'s don't mean crap to me either as it's a tuning tool, however I can compare these #'s to the GT's I've had on the dyno. GT's with a CAI and Cat-back make similar #'s peak.

The Boss actually made significantly MORE power under 3K than a GT with stock intake manifold. GT's made a bit more TQ in the middle.

My own GT puts down 432 / 445 on my dyno (gasonlie / E85) and runs 120-122 consistently (gas / E85) at the local track.

Seeing the powergraph, logging lb/min airflow, then comparing to the Boss's I've tuned but not dynoed, I REALLY want a Boss!

They look to respond quite well to longtubes, full 3" exhaust and a CAI. (lb/min airflow jumping 5lb/min at 7500RPM)

Shaun, thank you for your time and tune.
2012 Boss 302 rolling out - YouTube

Here's a video of the Airflow jump!!! Thank's again.

Last edited:

12C/OBoss

Established Member
my car made 363 rwhp with 400 miles on it last April on evolutions Mustang dyno

I think on a Mustang dyno most stock Boss 302 make between 350-370 RWHP dep on miles and conditions

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
my wife reads this stuff and laughs. she says, "men, always hung up on numbers rather than performance."

just sayin'

Silver TT

Established Member
Also would like to know if anyone has before / after dyno of side exit exhausts open? Any performance gain or just acoustic?

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Tune set at 8300 and 4.56. Full 3in exhaust, 1 and 7/8 headers, welded side pipes to x-pipe and stock mufflers.
You car sounds mean as hell and almost as good as a Porsche Carrera GT at 10x the cost! It sounded like you were at least hitting 8k.

According to my sources it will run at 8,300 just don't expect it to last 100,000 miles. Ford ran the cars higher than that in testing but used 7,500 to meet their durability goals. While I could not get anyone to confirm this my best guess is the 302R race cars are set at 8,200.

Wiseguy

Established Member
Thank you! I need a shift light, haha. I did a datalog at 8225rpm, so I really do not know how much higher it can go. Have hit the limiter once and not sure what rpm that was.. Long term, better intake, higher compression and cams! The car has alot more left as is above 5k.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Thank you! I need a shift light, haha. I did a datalog at 8225rpm, so I really do not know how much higher it can go. Have hit the limiter once and not sure what rpm that was.. Long term, better intake, higher compression and cams! The car has alot more left as is above 5k.
There's a better intake coming from Ford Racing, hopefully soon. Good luck.

Nickelpayday

Established Member
The Cobra Jet IM? The one on the Boss 302sx? Hmm, wonder when this will come to market.

04-ford-mustang-boss-302sx-concept.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread