dyno numbers low???

venomous_svt

badmfcobra
Established Member
I just got my 97 cobra dyno'ed the car only has 82k on it and everything was just gone through but my dyno numbers seem low. It dyno'ed out at 263 rwhp and 273 torque at modular depot. I dont have alot done but the only other bolt on that I havent done is headers. I have everything else...SCT X Cal2, UPR powertube intake with k&n, UPR x-pipe(which sucks BTW), MSD Coils, JBA Wires, Flowmaster axleback. It was just tuned up with new plugs, fuel filter, and seafoamed. It just seems like it should have been slightly higher...not 300's but should have been near 280's??? Any ideas or is it right on track..cause if it is its procharger time!

thanks guys.

Last edited:

venomous_svt

badmfcobra
Established Member
Modular Depot did tune it. they are really insane with their tunes. I didnt get a before and after but I dont think I wanna know with numbers this low.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
There are too many variables to consider and you shouldn't worry too much about numbers, they are just...numbers. Your quarter mile e.t. will tell you how much power you really have. BTW, with only exhaust and intake tube that is about right.

You will not see 290s with those mods.

Last edited:

venomous_svt

badmfcobra
Established Member
I didnt think I would be near 290's but 263 seemed low with a tune, Im almost betting its that x pipe that is killing my numbers...I have had nothing but troubles with it. Im gonna swap out that setup immediately to long tubes. I just wanted to see where everyone was at dyno wise so I know where to start.
My Track times have been Sh.t!! I had tranny issues(now fixed) the last time I went and couldnt hook for nothing so I was waiting to hit the track again till the car was back on track.

blackfang

Established Member
I put down 273/263 with an o/r mid pipe, 4.30's mufflers and a K&N in 2004. So you are not too far off.

venomous_svt

badmfcobra
Established Member
It was my understanding gears can effect dyno's...is there any truth to that...I have 4.30's. Thanks for the replies so far guys. I have searched to till im blue in the face. I have a feeling I can get gains from changing my exhaust and intake setup. I shoulda spent more money on them but at the time I was kinda strapped.

On a side note...would you recommend dry or wet nitrous setup...my wife just killed my procharger dream (damn house repairs!!) so im looking at nitrous kits.
Any recommendations on makes ie zex, nitrous express etc.

thanks again.

bvysochin

Established Member
Dyno pulls are normally done in 4th gear though.. which is 1:1.. My understanding is it won't matter which gears you have.. Although I think the power/torque curves are affected by different ratios..

Our bone stock 96 with 145k dyno'ed 235hp on a superflow (245 dynojet) which I thought was real low too.. New plugs, wires, fuel filter, and seafoamed.. Completely stock though, mufflers, air silencer still in, paper filter, stock everything..

venomous_svt

badmfcobra
Established Member
turbonotch said:
I seriously doubt the upr x pipe is your problem. That makes no sense at all.

Believe me if you dealt with my POS pipe you would understand...It leaks all the time on the right side connecting to the header...I have had it worked on/tighten/new gaskets countless times now...You can tighten that pipe up and within a few miles its already coming loose and forming a leak. It is kinda piss poor designed also...it hangs down really low, Im already lowered and it scraps on anything. Other Xpipes I have seen dont have these problems. I just havent had any luck with it...:cuss:

IMO I just think that is where a few hp is lost cause when I first installed it I noticed some low end was gone and was replaced by an obnoxious exhaust tone.

Last edited:

turbonotch

It's quiet ;)
Established Member
hmm. i've noticed the same things you discribe. What I was getting at was I don't see a physical problem with it preventing you from making good power. That's all.
my next exhaust setup down the road will be bassani mid lengths and x pipe... I just plain don't have the money for them.

Last edited:

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
get some LT's and an H pipe in their. X pipes are GHEY! Ive dealt with over 10 different exhaust setups and the current one I have is by far the best.

blackfang

Established Member
bvysochin said:
Dyno pulls are normally done in 4th gear though.. which is 1:1.. My understanding is it won't matter which gears you have.. Although I think the power/torque curves are affected by different ratios..
However, with the steeper gears the max rpm is met faster than the max hp has a chance to reach the rear wheels. This has been posted before and Dynojet has commented that it can affect rwhp numbers, but on a very minute scale

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
PACIFICGREENSVT said:
It is all in the tune. I just put down 300/295 with a k&n and long tubes, and a tune.

thank you.

WOW!!! I have all that and one of the best tuners around and I only put down :xpl: 262hp... That freaken sucked!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread