Dyno numbers in, now I have some questions

G04cobra

Established Member
Whats up guys, I recently upgraded to a posi ported blower and got dyno tuned yesterday. My tuner installed the BAP but didn't install the turn dial. Is that the norm? I dynoed at 492 hp 459 tq, 86 degrees 26% humidity, 19 degrees of timing on 91 octane. The problem is that the tuner only dynoed it until about 6300 RPM because he said the car was leaning out. He stated he kept adding fuel to the tune but that the pumps wouldn't respond. :??: He didn't know what was causing it or how to fix it. So he just told me not to go past 6k rpm:bored: Although I really don't push the car too much I'd like to know I can safely go past 6k if I want to. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is causing my fuel problem? Thanks.

unforgiven

Humble
Established Member
I'll let the more experienced guys chime in but 19* for 91 octane seems aggressive to me.

What spark plugs are you using?

I would get rid of the Diablo Chip.

G04cobra

Established Member
I'm using TR6 spark plugs, I have a Diablo hand held as well but the tuner preferred tuning with the chip he said it was more convenient:shrug:

SVT GI

Established Member
Whats up guys, I recently upgraded to a posi ported blower and got dyno tuned yesterday. My tuner installed the BAP but didn't install the turn dial. Is that the norm? I dynoed at 492 hp 459 tq, 86 degrees 26% humidity, 19 degrees of timing on 91 octane. The problem is that the tuner only dynoed it until about 6300 RPM because he said the car was leaning out. He stated he kept adding fuel to the tune but that the pumps wouldn't respond. :??: He didn't know what was causing it or how to fix it. So he just told me not to go past 6k rpm:bored: Although I really don't push the car too much I'd like to know I can safely go past 6k if I want to. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is causing my fuel problem? Thanks.

Wow...I cant wait to get my business up and going. Did they even RPM limit you to 6K to be safe? Probably not. Did they datalog for you?

Yes the dial should be installed, you sure they didn't hide it somewhere? Unless your pumps are shot the Cobra pumps and BAP should handle your setup easy.

The chip is more convenient for who? Them? Cheaper...yes.

You're in So Cal, go to Greg @ RET or Adam @ ST Motorsports. 19* is fine with 91 oct and your setup BTW.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Find a new tuner. Any tuner that would tell me "I don't know how to fix your problem" would be taken off my contacts list.

G04cobra

Established Member
Wow...I cant wait to get my business up and going. Did they even RPM limit you to 6K to be safe? Probably not. Did they datalog for you?

Yes the dial should be installed, you sure they didn't hide it somewhere? Unless your pumps are shot the Cobra pumps and BAP should handle your setup easy.

The chip is more convenient for who? Them? Cheaper...yes.

You're in So Cal, go to Greg @ RET or Adam @ ST Motorsports. 19* is fine with 91 oct and your setup BTW.

No they didn't limit my RPMs. The dial is sitting in my back seat I asked if he was gonna install it and he said he usually doesn't use it to tune. I'm not sure if its pre-fdpm I'm not really savi with fuel systems.

Yea he said the chip was easier and faster to tune with. I'd go to RET but since I already had a diablo chip I didn't really wanna buy sct software but I might have to give them a try if I can find a good deal on a used handheld.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
honestly I have not heard that chip tuning is faster. Maybe cheaper but I would not agree with faster. If I were you I would baby my car until I had it retuned by someone who knows what they are talking about.

G04cobra

Established Member
honestly I have not heard that chip tuning is faster. Maybe cheaper but I would not agree with faster. If I were you I would baby my car until I had it retuned by someone who knows what they are talking about.

He said something about loading the tune into the handheld and then loading the handheld into the car whereas the chip just plugs in. IDk I've never been tuned with a handheld so I'm not sure how long it takes. I'll see if I can upload the dyno sheet in a few. He's a pretty reputable tuner and tunes a lot of different cars but maybe I'll have to swing by RET eventually. Lets say I'm still having the car go lean after 6k rpm what would be causing it? filter? pumps? OR just a shitty tune?

Stalker27

Established Member
I would chNge the filter before going to the next shop. If you don't and you tell them what's going on they might want to change it out. Might as well do it yourself. One less thing for them to do and one more thing to rule out. Could be a pump going out

G04cobra

Established Member
I'm not sure about the life span of a fuel filter but it only has about 10k miles on it. I have a 2.8 pulley stock lower.

racebronco2

Established Member
I use the same crappy 91 and i'm tuned for 22*. Last dyno day i did was at ret's and i dyno'd at 540hp/490tq, but i have 97 cobra cams, ported lower manifold, lt's and a dragon tb.

SVT GI

Established Member
At the very least they should of limited the car to the safe zone before they let you go. They should of also datalogged for you to determine the problem.

Check the market section here for used Xcals, you can usually pick them up for around $200. They are much more versatile over a chip. You can make adjustments if necessary as well as datalog. It is worth it to you in the long run to make the switch.

Last edited:

Ray Lucca

Established Member
If you already have a Predator hand-held go to Steve at Powertrain in Hunt. Beach. He tunes with Diablosport/ Predator, Greg tunes with SCT. Both are top tuners, and good knowledgeable guys.

G04cobra

Established Member
Here's the dyno sheet, sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, my scanner decided not to work today. The tuner used a tailpipe sniffer for the A/F ratio.

NewImage.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread