Dusting off my 1999 Cobra

High_Ram

Established Member
Hi everyone! Not sure if I should post this here, the SN95 section, or the Open Track section.

I plan on taking my 99 Cobra to the track (Buttonwillow Raceway) for the first time.

The car has been sitting for over 2 years, has 75,xxx and hasn’t been started in over 6 months! At least it’s in Souther California and the temps never dipped too low.

What should be the first steps be? Flush all fluids? What oil should I use? 5w30?

Since it’s been sitting for quite some time, I’m pretty sure the tires are no good. I’m looking at Sumitomo HTR z iii or Nitto 555s. I want to go with a square set up for my stock 17s. Suggestions on size, or which tire to go with?

Right now, she has Eibach Pro kit springs with blown shocks/struts. I plan on getting some Bilsteins but not sure which ones. I eventually want to get some Maximum Motorsports foil-overs, but I’m just gonna take baby steps for now. Maybe put some H&R race springs with matching Bilsteins?

Should I address the brakes? Hawk HP-Plus with dot 3 fluid?

Any suggestions and tips is greatly appreciated!!

Jay

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Given your plans I would definitely do a flush of all fluids. I think 5w-30 would be fine for oil. Brand would be up to you. I'm a fan of the Motorcraft, but have had decent luck with Mobil 1. The Walmart brand of Supertech is actually pretty decent too. From what I've been told at least. I've used it in the past with no issues.

Personally I wouldn't run either of those tires on a track. Do you have a budget for tires? That'll really help in making that decision.

It's hard to go wrong with Bilsteins. I have the HD's and I'm happy with them. I'm not a fan of Eibach's, but that's just because I think they ride horrible. We have two vehicles in our household with them and I really don't care to ride in either. If you're looking at new springs and shocks/struts I'd see what the price difference is to go coilover now. If it's close just do the coilovers now and be done with it.

At the very least check the brake pads and lube all the moving parts. Hawks aren't bad. But I think people also like Carbotech and EBC's. My buddies Charger SRT8 had EBC's and they stopped awesome. Don't go with a drilled rotor though. They can crack when they get hot. I would stick with blanks for a track event. I imagine a flush with a good fluid would make a bit of a difference.

Don't forget to check all the bushings and suspension for rot/wear. Make sure all the ball joints and tie rod ends are in good shape. You don't want them coming apart at speed.

High_Ram

Established Member
Thanks for the replies! As far as tire budget, $150 a tire or less would be great. I’m probably gonna drive. The car on the street just for fun, and I’m definitely going to drive it to and from the track.

I don’t really want the Eibachs on the car, but my wife had then installed. She bought the car new in 1999 because she knew I was into Mustangs. At the time, she was dating a guy that was heavily into drag Hondas, but she got the Cobra because she had a crush on me. 10 years later, we get married and she gives me the car, haha!!!

I’m just trying to keep the budget reasonable so I might keep the Eibachs and just put the Bilsteins.

Maximum Motorsports carries Hawks, so that’s why I was thinking about using them. I’ll look into other brake pads as well. Would I be ok with sticking with the stock rotors?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Between those two tires I would go with the Nittos then. I've had Sumitomos, 555's, and 555 G2's. We currently have G2's on our 06 and they do ok. I really wanted to step up to R888's on my 04.

The stock rotors will be fine for you.

High_Ram

Established Member
I’m probably going with the Nitto 555 g2s. Will 275/40 17s fit up front on my stock Cobra wheels? Any rubbing issues?

01yellercobra

Established Member
275's will fit, but I wouldn't do that on the stock 8" rim. Especially since you're looking at the G2's. They run wider than the old 555's. So you'll have even more bulge with the stock rims. That's not good for turning fast. I'd go with the stock 245 width.

dhoening

Established Member
I’ve had Eibachs on my ‘99 Cobra for a very long time (almost since the car was new). They work great and I would never remove them.
Have Koni Yellow adjustable shocks all around. Also work great for the street and the track.
I use Hawk HP+ Brake pads with Dot 5 fluid. If you are going to track the car, the Dot 3 stuff will boil. Go to at least Dot 4. I also put cooling ducts on the front as the stock brakes overheat pretty quickly on a fast track. I eventually changed the front to a Wilwood setup to get rid of the brake overheating issues.

High_Ram

Established Member
I’ve had Eibachs on my ‘99 Cobra for a very long time (almost since the car was new). They work great and I would never remove them.
Have Koni Yellow adjustable shocks all around. Also work great for the street and the track.
I use Hawk HP+ Brake pads with Dot 5 fluid. If you are going to track the car, the Dot 3 stuff will boil. Go to at least Dot 4. I also put cooling ducts on the front as the stock brakes overheat pretty quickly on a fast track. I eventually changed the front to a Wilwood setup to get rid of the brake overheating issues.
Which Eibachs do you have? And I’m also interested in the brake ducts as well.

Thanks!!

Snk-Byet01

Established Member
I had the Eibachs and both of the front coils snapped. Maybe I was just unlucky, but I usually drive like a grandma.

Good for you.

dhoening

Established Member
Sorry to hear about yours.
Mine have been installed since mid-2001, and the car has over 60K miles. About 1/2 of that as a daily driver; the rest to/from, or on a track. So they are pretty tough.

Users who are viewing this thread