Durability of the 5.8 and cost to rebuild

jakk127

Established Member
Hey. I posted this question in the general discussion area, but I have not gotten any responses so I thought I would post in the actual GT500 section. I currently own a stock 2010 C6 base. I have been pricing out a few things, and if I decide to go through with it, I am looking at getting a UPP twin turbo kit with meth injection and running 650-700whp or so.

However, once I add the price up to what I have already paid for the c6, my total cost involved will be around that of a used 13-14 GT500. I have always wanted a GT500. In addition, I am thinking that there might be less "hassle factor" in dealing with owning/modding/working on a car that is boosted from the factory vs had an entire twin turbo setup fabbed into it. There are a few concerns I have going with the GT500 though.

1. It's much heavier, and stock vs the TT c6 I imagine it would get walked pretty good, and need an additional 100+ whp over a c6 to even be able to keep up. I never had any illusions of being "the fastest" though, and the fact of the matter is that I have never owned anything over 400whp, so I think I would be more than happy with the stock power level of a 13-14 GT500 until I decide to mod it. Plus, like I said, I have always wanted a GT500, which brings me to concern number 2...

2. I was thinking that going with a 13-14 GT500 would also be beneficial because, if/when I did decide to mod it, 650-750 whp would be much safer on the 5.8 vs that same power range on a stock LS3. However, I have also seen a lot of posts on here that indicate some people have blown 5.8s at around that same power level, in addition to breaking axles, so now I'm wondering if it really is that much "safer". A bigger issues though, is that if I did blow the LS3, it looks like I could build a new motor (forged 408 or something along those lines) for $10k or so. On here, I have seen a few posts from people who have blown the 5.8 indicating that it costs $20-$30k for a rebuild/new engine! Is that really the only option if a motor is blown on a 13-14 GT500, or is it possible to build something else and throw it in? As much as I'd obviously like to avoid blowing anything up and plan to stay under 800whp, it's something I would want to consider given the potential of breaking stuff once modding starts.

3. I live in a state where I need to pass an emissions inspection every few years. The inspection just consists of an OBDII check for no codes and at most one not ready. No visual inspection is done. One nice thing about GM vehicles is that you can actually "turn off" the emissions checks in a tune as opposed to just making them not ready, so the car would still pass even if i have catless exhaust, which would be needed with meth/E85 from what I understand. Is something similar possible with a 13-14 GT500, or would I have to get catted x-pipes?

Any advice is welcome, thanks for taking a look!

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
750 RWHP is very safe on these motors, the biggest thing is to make sure you have a good tune from a reputable tuner and enough octane. As far as rebuild cost $20,000 seems to be the going rate but a lot depends on additional options added during rebuild and the extent of the damage, most will splurge if they have to rebuild which is why you've seen threads stating high rebuild costs. A few months back a member on here looked in to costs to fully build the motor prior to a failure and it came to about $10,000.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If you've never owned over 400rwhp, you'll love the '13-14 stock.
Doing the common proven mods, respecting octane and RPM and I'd say they're near bullet proof til 750rwhp range.
I went 11.03 with a gear, tune, and drag radial.
That will blow your mind if never experiencing 10sec power.
Good to do your research and right place to ask.
First question---have you ever driven a '13-14?
If not, find one at the dealer and drive one. Without even getting into the power hard you should have your answer as its a completely different experience from your C6.
Both are great cars, good luck.
-J

jakk127

Established Member
Thanks for the opinions. I have always wanted a GT500, which is why I really am leaning towards trading/selling the c6 for one. I have driven a '14 5.0, but not a GT500. There is a 14 GT500 for sale at a dealer by me that I may see if they will let me test drive or not. I agree that I believe I will be blown away by the power stock, and I do think I would like a GT500 over the C6 regardless. For some reason the 13-14 S197 styling really strikes me, and every time I see a v6,5.0, and especially a GT500 I am stuck drooling over the looks alone. The vette is a nice car for sure, but ever since buying it, it just has not really been "my thing", if that makes any sense.

I'm not sure if anyone on here has a 13-14 GT500 and lives in WI, but if they do I would really appreciate a ride just so I can see what the power and car feels like.

Last edited:

jakk127

Established Member
As far as tuning goes, is it possible to get a good tune via email/logs? That's how I tuned my other car (mazdaspeed3) as there were no reputable tuners around my area for a dyno tune. To my knowledge, there are also no reputable tuners around me for stangs or GT500s (or any car, really for that matter), so I'd feel better going over email using one of the people on here if that is a viable option.

Also, my state does emissions checks via OBDII and no visual check. They check for any codes, and in addition a maximum of one not ready is allowed. Is it possible to buy a catless x/h-pipe and still pass emissions, or would I have to get catted pipes in order to pass. I know in the GM world, the emissions codes can be turned off/forced ready as opposed to just being made not ready all the time, which allows emissions checks to pass. I have not read anything that makes it seem like this is possible for Ford vehicles. If I do have to go catted, are cats doable with e85/meth, or does one need no cats for that?

Thanks for all of the replies.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
There are definitely good remote tuners out there. BTW, I totally get what you are saying about the Corvette not being your thing...I was in the same boat as you.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Another thing to keep in mind is something I realized a long time ago: The closer to stock you keep a vehicle, the less headache and frustration you'll experience. Therefore, always find the vehicle that is already closest to what you want, and then play a little from there if you have to. I just did a tune, pulley, and exhaust on my 2003 Cobra and had a blast in it for 10 years. I've just added a tune, pulley, throttle body, and exhaust to my 2013 and I would be perfectly happy with it the way it is for the next 10 years. Both were nowhere near the limits of the motor. Besides, every old geezer has a vette. There's only a small amount of GT500's out there.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
Another thing to keep in mind is something I realized a long time ago: The closer to stock you keep a vehicle, the less headache and frustration you'll experience. Therefore, always find the vehicle that is already closest to what you want, and then play a little from there if you have to. I just did a tune, pulley, and exhaust on my 2003 Cobra and had a blast in it for 10 years. I've just added a tune, pulley, throttle body, and exhaust to my 2013 and I would be perfectly happy with it the way it is for the next 10 years. Both were nowhere near the limits of the motor. Besides, every old geezer has a vette. There's only a small amount of GT500's out there.

I couldn't agree with this more. I went mod crazy on my Pontiac G8 GT and it basically ruined the car.

You did exactly what I want to do to my GT500. Except I want to upgrade the clutch and axles, I don't want anything to snap. What else has to be upgraded for added durability besides the clutch and axles? How does the diff hold up?

jakk127

Established Member
You guys are pretty much echoing my exact thoughts on why I am looking at going with a GT500. I'm glad that a few other people get what I mean with the vette not being my cup of tea; most people I have mentioned that thought to think I am crazy lol. A lot of the vette communities online also just don't seem as much fun/as well suited to me as this place and other stang forums do. That's a really minor consideration, but it is something that I have noticed.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I live in an inspection state, ( N.J. ), Both of my cars run Kooks LT's, " green " catted X pipes, & stock mufflers. Their cats are supposed to be 49 state legal, my 11 passed inspection this past July with no issues.
Both the 5.4 & 5.8 are pretty robust motors, you will have no issues modding to 700 + rw without blowing up the motor.

Breitling

Established Member
Another thing to keep in mind is something I realized a long time ago: The closer to stock you keep a vehicle, the less headache and frustration you'll experience. Therefore, always find the vehicle that is already closest to what you want, and then play a little from there if you have to.

This is excellent advice. I had a '91 LX Coupe that I modded the crap out of and then realized that I didn't enjoy driving it as it was really just a drag car. Plus, I was always fiddling with something that wasn't just right. I sold that car 7 years ago when it had 41,000 original miles and was so clean you could eat off the bottom of the car...ok, maybe I do miss her just a little bit. But I digress...

With that said, there are lots of guys on this site that have done the normal bolt-on's and tune that are making great power (~700 rwhp) and seem to have near factory driveability. Not sure about your inspection questions as I don't have that crap in my county.

Whatever you decide, have fun and enjoy it.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
I totally get what you are saying about the Corvette not being your thing...I was in the same boat as you.

176942526_edde002de3.jpg

Whuch'a sayin?

E

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
C6ZO6 is a helluva car, but it seems like if you put any miles on a corvette the community looks down on your car. I don't get that. I'm at 664 rwhp with just tb/cai/tune and the drivibility is as easy as stock if I'm just flowing around. Most people don't know the car is any different than the other mustangs on the road. I like the lack of attention until you get around people who know cars. There aren't any 4 banger vettes running around.

jakk127

Established Member
That's interesting to hear your comment about the attention you get. I would appreciate that actually if that's how it's viewed. I suppose I figured either way a GT500 is going to get attention just from the looks. I actually tend not to drive the vette as much because I kind of feel too flashy driving it. My other car is a mazdaspeed3, and like you said I really like being able to just drive that car and blend in a bit more unless I am around other car people. Most likely I would drive the gt500 stock till it's paid off with maybe the exception of tires/suspension mods to get the power to the ground a bit better, and then I would do something like a 13-6 to give me a nice bump when I decide I want more power.

Would you guys say that the power delivery of the GT500 is "raw", or more instant/in your face? One thing I really like about the speed3 is that the k04 it has spools quickly, and the instant "hit" from the turbo makes the car a ton of fun on the street, and also makes it feel way faster than it is which is awesome. While the C6 is much faster than the speed once the RPMs get up enough, the NA power delivery just feels kind of slow and "boring" to me compared to the MS3. I've heard one of the benefits of a PD blower is the instant power/tq hit which I think would be a lot of fun as the car will mostly see street duty with the occasional 1/4 trip just for fun.

Last edited:

David Neibert

Established Member
The vette is a nice car for sure, but ever since buying it, it just has not really been "my thing", if that makes any sense.

Makes perfect sense....it's an image thing and it doesn't matter if its real or perceived. If you think driving a Vette projects a negative image, you aren't going to be comfortable driving it. It's understandable because many people think guys who drive Vettes are a-hole douche bags, but everyone loves the GT500 drivers.

David

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Would you guys say that the power delivery of the GT500 is "raw", or more instant/in your face? One thing I really like about the speed3 is that the k04 it has spools quickly, and the instant "hit" from the turbo makes the car a ton of fun on the street, and also makes it feel way faster than it is which is awesome. While the C6 is much faster than the speed once the RPMs get up enough, the NA power delivery just feels kind of slow and "boring" to me compared to the MS3. I've heard one of the benefits of a PD blower is the instant power/tq hit which I think would be a lot of fun as the car will mostly see street duty with the occasional 1/4 trip just for fun.

I have a bit different opinion about the power delivery of the GT500 than most guys on here. I do NOT feel like the car is "raw" in stock form. I feel like the long gears and protective tuning gives the car a very deceiving feeling of gentlemanly reservation and maturity, which I was disappointed in. The GT500 will be the opposite of your experience from your Mazda. Instead of it feeling faster than it is, the GT500 will BE faster than it feels. You will often not even realize how much territory you're devouring in massive gulps until you have a car next to you to compare with and you see how quickly it becomes a speck in your mirror. I believe Ford didn't want to turn over a demonic beast to the masses and then have all their customers kill themselves in it, so they chained the monster a bit by conservative programming and items like clutch protection, etc.

"But Lethal, if you're so let down by the car why don't you sell it to someone who would appreciate it and GTFO!"

No, I won't, because it's an awesome car and my minor issue with the way it feels is nitpicking at best. PLUS, it's easily remedied by a set of gears or like I did, the 13-6 kit. Even if that kit didn't add a single HP I would do it again just for the way the improved tuning made the car feel sharper and more responsive.

So in summary of my opinion, the car isn't going to blow your mind when you romp on it in stock form. It will just quietly walk off and leave most cars in the dust without even feeling like it broke a sweat. But do a minor mod or two to cut the chains loose and let it run free, and it will put the exact smile on your face that you're looking for. I guarantee it. Now the car feels like it wants to kill me and it dares me to go full throttle. It demands to be manhandled or it will punish your lack of skill by throwing you into a tree. Which is exactly what makes me love it so much. THAT's the way a car like this should feel. :beer:

Last edited:

Ky GT500

Established Member
I'm with Zen on the lack of attention I get,,,maybe it's the color,,, I can come up on guys on the interstate and they don't realize it's a Shelby,,they do a double take as I walk away from them. Now a Race Red with White stripe Shelby,,,that's another story,,,,it screams SEE ME!!!!

The Shelby is a animal, blast to drive, fun car. I'm a old fart, but when I'm out ripping down the road in mine,,,what a rush,,,like a kid again. In a Vette,,,I'd just be a old fart!!!

Users who are viewing this thread