Dumps

robvas

Established Member
Getting tired of the Borla stingers...here's what I am thinking:

A set of 2.5" flow tubes
2.5" Dynomax Ultraflow mufflers (oval body style)
Turndowns from Autozone

The Borla catback will unbolt easily and I can save it for whenever or sell it. Looking for something quieter that won't choke the exhaust.

Flowmaster wants $499 for their American Thunder dumped setup. What a joke. CJPony has their own kit with the Flowmasters that I am basically copying (they want less than $300).

The only trouble I see is I'll be at the mercy of the muffler shop to basically weld hangers on the new mufflers. It's a pain in the ass to get in and out of there and I know they will find some way to charge $200...

There are some cheaper muffler options like the FlowFX and Cherry Bomb Salute but I didn't find the FlowFX very quiet. Super Turbis would be alright but I know those reduce power quite a bit. Any other muffler I might be overlooking?

03' White Snake

Established Member
I think you better rethink using dumps. If you are sick of a loud exhaust dumps is not your answer. Many many years ago I tried dumps on my GT. The vibrations and echo it caused in the car was crazy. Talk about drone and not being able to drive the car for long periods of time without getting a headache. This was with Flowmaster American Thunder mufflers.

Why not just swap a muffler into the CB you have? You can measure the muffler length and find something that will fit. Bassani, Flowmaster, SLP, a different Borla etc.

robvas

Established Member
I think you better rethink using dumps. If you are sick of a loud exhaust dumps is not your answer. Many many years ago I tried dumps on my GT. The vibrations and echo it caused in the car was crazy. Talk about drone and not being able to drive the car for long periods of time without getting a headache. This was with Flowmaster American Thunder mufflers.

Why not just swap a muffler into the CB you have? You can measure the muffler length and find something that will fit. Bassani, Flowmaster, SLP, a different Borla etc.

I don't want to hack up a $1000 catback. Plus nothing is really going to fit in there that will be much quieter.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member

This

robvas

Established Member
Spintech sells a setup (decently priced, just mufflers and turndowns) but I'm not looking for that sound

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
You don't specify why you are tired of the Borla CB (i.e. sound, drone, loudness, etc.). So, I can't advise there.

I can assume it's the sound/loudness. You say you want to install Autozone turn downs (i.e. dumps). Where do you want to do this (i.e. out the side, at the axle or before the bumper)?

Again, I can assume at the axle.

So, as others have said, if your tired of the sound or loud exhaust and you want to install dumps at the axle you will not be solving any problems or making any significant changes. As a matter of fact, you will most likely be exacerbating the situation.

I had dumps on my 65. It was loud and cool sounding, but the drone was bad and when idling at a stop the exhaust fumes were so bad my wife wouldn't even ride in the thing. I now have a complete exhaust on the car and even though it's not as rowdy it's way better than having dumps. Besides, I have cutouts, so I can still get rowdy when I want LOL.

robvas

Established Member
It's the volume. The mufflers are what controls that. So doing American Thunders isn't going to make it much quieter. That's why I want to go with Ultraflos but I wanted to look at suggestions for other quieter mufflers

I had some kind of generic chambered mufflers with dumps (v pro or something that a muffler shop had, supposed to be like a three chamber flowmaster) on my 2002 GT and it was pretty quiet.

It sucks that there aren't many options for a bolt-on catback these days. Borla, SLP, Pypes, Flowmaster, and that's about it. They are also almost all geared to the "as loud as possible" crowd. You basically have to build your own if you want something else (which is what I did on my last car)

robvas

Established Member
FlowFX mufflers and flowmaster tailpipes

Attachments

• IMG_6524.jpeg
    IMG_6524.jpeg
    351.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6300.jpeg
    IMG_6300.jpeg
    301.9 KB · Views: 48

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
Magnaflow is a good compromise.

You could also add in some resonators….or even cats. If I get tired of the loudness of my car (LT, X, Borla stingers) I’ll weld in some high flow cats.

01yellercobra

Established Member
And by the time you do everything you're talking about you'll be close enough to a new catback you should have just gone that route.

Is the SRA catback like the IRS as far as the connections? I know on mine there are clamps by the mid pipe and just before the bend under the IRS. If the SRA is close to that I would talk to an exhaust shop about mounting mufflers. I can't imagine it would be too difficult for them to set up a couple slip fit joints for you.

That's my plan at least whenever I get tired of the sound of mine. But I want to keep the Borla tail pipes as I like the tips the best.

robvas

Established Member
2 ultraflows $60 each
1 set of flow pipes $48
2 turndowns $10 each

$100 at the muffler shop for them to weld up two hangers and some clamps :mad:

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
No doubt SRA and if a street car over axle is a must.

With it depending on your traffic patterns pretty much just stick a hose in the exhaust. Sarcasm, but no fun.

Last edited:

robvas

Established Member
Here's the problem with trying to replace the Borla muffler. It's only about 10 inches long where most of your "regular" mufflers are going to have a body that is 13 inches long And then the pipes coming out of it are angled, I don't want to have a shop jack this all up and end up with crappy welds and aluminized pipes.

The flow tube to muffler is one pipe, and then the over the axle is where the rest of it unbolts.

Attachments

• IMG_5145.jpeg
    IMG_5145.jpeg
    288.9 KB · Views: 48

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Here's the problem with trying to replace the Borla muffler. It's only about 10 inches long where most of your "regular" mufflers are going to have a body that is 13 inches long And then the pipes coming out of it are angled, I don't want to have a shop jack this all up and end up with crappy welds and aluminized pipes.

The flow tube to muffler is one pipe, and then the over the axle is where the rest of it unbolts.

Backing out. Something seems off for regular SRA

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
Worst case, is you do this and you really like it or you really hate it and you put the borlas is back on. I personally think you won’t like it but you never know. I liked it for a little while on my old GT but it definitely got old. I also drove that car every day.

01yellercobra

Established Member

IIRC most catback systems use an offset inlet/outlet muffler on the SRA cars. The offset is designed into the muffler. At the very least the inlet is centered and the outlet is offset.

You can see what I'm talking about in this set up. Hell, for the price you might as well grab it and throw it on.

Users who are viewing this thread