DuctWerks Cool It! Brake Duct Kit

03Cobra745

The September issue of Mustang Enthusiast has an article on the DuctWerks Cool It! brake duct kit for Cobras and Mustangs.

Has anyone tried this kit yet?

oldmodman

Established Member

03Cobra745

oldmodman said:
They look like most of the other kits out there. But the ducting looks just like cheap dryer duct. If it is it will fail after just a very short time.

According to the article, the kit comes with "Aeroduct CEET two-layer hoses"

Now, I personally do not know what kind of quality these hoses are. Can anyone tell me?

Thanks!

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
if they clear the abs sensor, be sure to let everyone know. most ducts dont.

i use the black hose they picture. no reason to spend the extra on the orange on our level.

on second glance, these ducts look like they direct the airflow to the face of the rotor which is not what you want done.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
oldmodman said:
They look like most of the other kits out there. But the ducting looks just like cheap dryer duct. If it is it will fail after just a very short time.
But here is a link to their site so other people can look at it and give their opinions. http://www.ductwerks.com/

And here is a link to the brake duct thread on SVT's Cobra R forum
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160738

Hey I started that thread in the Cobra R Forum a long time ago, glad to see someone is looking at it.

I went ahead and installed the Kenny Brown Ducts along with some 600 Degree Silicone Brake Duct Hose (The Orange Stuff). I got a good deal on it, only 68.00 for about 12 or 15 feet of it, far cheaper than the 140.00 that KB wants for their hose.

I didn't have too much of a problem installing the kit, but I did change the Bolts and Shims that KB provided in the kit to bring the Duct in closer to the Rotor face. Next time I've got my wheel off I'll snap some pics.

03Cobra745

It sounds like both the DuctWerks and Kenny Brown kits direct the airflow onto the face of the rotor. The 2000 Cobra "R" is the same.

Shelbyguy implies this is not good. Why is this? I don't see any alternatives?

racebronco2

Established Member
... the air should be directed at the center of the rotor, these are the ones i made to connect the brake ducts to, they direct air on the face but also towards the center, they are angled to clear the tie rod ends, swaybar and tires on full lock to lock

Last edited:

03Cobra745

racebranco2,

Nice job! I overlaid the DuctWerks duct mount over yours and they appear to be very close in the placement of the duct opening, but yours does have the angle. I also noticed that you retained the entire dust shield, while DuctWerks eliminated the other half. I wonder if this makes any difference?

Does anyone have a picture of the Kenny Brown duct mounts?

BLK03SVT10TH,

Do you have any problems with your KB duct mounts or tubing hitting anything at max turn?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
Kenny Brown says that their Ducts direct the airflow to the center of the rotor, which I believe they do from the design and the angle of the duct.

03Cobra745

BLK03SVT10TH said:
Kenny Brown says that their Ducts direct the airflow to the center of the rotor, which I believe they do from the design and the angle of the duct.

Man! I wish Kenny Brown would get their web site catalog on-line so I could see what their's looks like! It seems like they've had that catalog "under development" for months now! :cuss:

03Cobra745

Finally found a picture of the Kenny Brown Duct Mounts/Plates. I can see why they would cost more, as they are a better design than the DuctWerks and they are angled towards the rotor center.

kennybrownbrakecooler.gif

It looks like I'll be going with the Kenny Brown Duct Mounts/Plates.

Now, can someone please tell me where I can purchase the required hose and fittings, so I don't have to pay the high Kenny Brown prices for that stuff?

Thanks!

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
And here is a link to the brake duct thread on SVT's Cobra R forum
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160738[/QUOTE]

There is a picture of them installed in this Thread in the Cobra R Forum just above the picture of the kit, look close you can see the duct and plate in the center of the rotor.

The plates come close to the ABS Sensor but they will go around it, and as long as you adjust your hose correctly there shouldn't be any problems with your steering.

spdfrkFL

Track Addict
Established Member
Here's a pic of the KB kit with the 2000r Brembo's. (sorry you can't see the plates, but the air flow is directed to the center of the rotor) If you use the brembo's you have to cut some of the plate material away to fit. The kit works well, the hardest part is to get the hoses to clamp onto the front openings. The pass. side duct work rubs a little on the tire when the wheel is turned all the way. Seems like that side has a little less room.
104-0426_IMG.gif

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
KB is out of there minds on the price they want for the 3" Hi-Temp 600 Deg Silicone Brake Hose. I did a search on the net and got mine for about 70.00.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
I ran my KB spindle ducts with the black hose from Coleman this weekend at Gingerman. The Brembo brakes (HP+ pads) + the cooling made a world of difference with braking - absolutely no fade. No issues with the ABS sensor wire (yet).

Users who are viewing this thread