Dually tires for winter and summer

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Thought about posting in the Discount Tire, but thought I might get better response here. Mods, move if you see fit.

I've got my 2017 F-450 with the terrible (for winter) highway tires on it. After getting stuck on my driveway (it's about 1/8 mile long) I've had enough. Gonna replace the worthless tires with something that grips. The question is what? I've scoured several Powerstroke forums and didn't really find anything. Nothing much on Dually tires here either. I'm also concerned with maintaining the weight carrying ability.

Was suggested to go with a Toyo M908 or a Hankook DH35. Neither looks like it will give me much more grip, but who knows. It doesn't snow all the time here, but enough to screw up my schedule. I'd like to drive the dually without thinking it's going to skate off into the ditch and the slightest hint of snow or ice. To add to the issue, they are 19.5" rims and that usually throws me into the commercial category.

So, anyone have suggestions?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve spent the past couple of months trying to figure out the same thing as I do not want to see snow on the Conti HD3’s. The Toyo M608 and Sailun S740 both have great reviews for off road/snow traction. The price on the Toyo’s is steep and they can be hard to find in stock.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
A buddy of mine just got the 608's with studs. I may take a look at those. And Sailun gets pretty good reviews.

I've always liked Cooper. Great tire and made in the USA. Not sure if they have tires in my size.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Switching to 20’s is also an option. Opens up tire selection but will almost certainly de-rate the truck and I have yet to see an aftermarket wheel design tasteful enough that I’d put it on my truck.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Just an FYI, went with the Toyo M920. HUGE difference. We'll see how they tow this spring.
What size did you go with? I'm going to pull the trigger on something here in the next week or so as snow is beginning to creep into the forecast

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Your dually is 2wd or 4x4?
4x4. I initially wasn't so impressed with the 4x4 system, but the tires make a huge difference. In the past, any time it snowed, I just left the truck in the driveway. Now, I feel like I can actually take it out and not end up in a ditch.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
4x4. I initially wasn't so impressed with the 4x4 system, but the tires make a huge difference. In the past, any time it snowed, I just left the truck in the driveway. Now, I feel like I can actually take it out and not end up in a ditch.
It’s almost as if Ford went out of their way to put the shittiest tire possible on the 450’s. The HD3 isn’t even rated to be in the steer position yet they put them on all 6. I don’t get it.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
It’s almost as if Ford went out of their way to put the shittiest tire possible on the 450’s. The HD3 isn’t even rated to be in the steer position yet they put them on all 6. I don’t get it.
I know. They last forever, but they suck for everything other than dry, highway driving.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Thought about going to a 245, but didn't want to deal with any potential issues. More than likely there wouldn't have been any, but just didn't want to hassle with it.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Only reason I suggest this is:

I have a buddy who has a Dodge 2500 crew cab [single rear wheel] and he ditched the sissy-looking OE tires on the factory 20s for some 31 or 33 inch BFG-Offroad tires .

His truck now looks like a truck & says his diesel mileage barely dropped off.
He is more than happy with his tires in bad-weather conditions versus the OE ones.
-
He felt the same, hated "white-knuckle" driving in any rain or any snow with the original tires.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
IMG_3353_RS-DS.jpg

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
245 is generally ok but going much wider can cause issues, i.e. rear tires will touch when towing heavy, shoulder tread wears funky due to wider tire on same narrow rim, etc.

Overall the 19.5 tire size is a real pain in the ass. I really wish Ford still offered the wide front axle in the 350.

Users who are viewing this thread