Dual 465s and hobbs switch

69b302

Established Member
I have been running dual 465 for a while, and have had issues with fuel pumps draining the battery when at idle. I have a 200A alternator, but still issues. So I put one pump on a hobbs switch, so both pumps only run when into boost. I do not read of others having issues running two 465s full time, but was curious if other people have run into charging issues. I do not like the hobbs switch, but like the car not starting less.

oxford03cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
I haven't had any issue at idle with my dual 465's at idle my voltage stays between 13-13.5 and im just running a ford racing 130amp alternator

69b302

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. What base pressure do you run? I have a bunch of other cooling fans/pumps running at idle, so will look into if something is drawing more amps then it should.

DTUB

BFTD
Established Member
Why don't you like the Hobbs switch?
Ive been thinking about doing this to solve my fuel heating issues.

69b302

Established Member
My concern with the hobbs switch, is reliability. It is just another part that could go bad at some point in time. I did purchase a 2 psi Honeywell switch, which is suppose to be good quality. Less heat, less electrical drain, and longer pump life are all good benefits of a hobbs, as long as it is 100% reliable.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
You don't want to run a simple Hobbs Switch but you are running a multiple pump set up? :??:

With that theory why not run a big single pump? Why stop there? Why not run 1 huge injector? (1 being less than 8)

Get my point?

There are a lot of things that "Could" go wrong, but as long as everything is functioning properly and wired up properly I see no reason to be afraid of a Hobbs Switch.

I guarantee more engines were blown up due to poor wiring or sloppy installations than a simple Hobbs Switch.

Just my $.02

SOVACobra03

I have an addiction......
Established Member
I'm going to be running twin 465s. One constant and one on a hobs. Less heat and longer pump life. I call that a win win. Get a failsafe guage and wire it to retard timing or whatever if your so worried

JeremyH

Established Member
For a street car and pumps that big definitely a good idea to run a pump controller or hobbs. To the op. If you have a lot of amp pull at idle run larger guage wire to those accessories to help lower it. Im running 6awg wire to my pump controller and full 10awg to each pump.

69b302

Established Member
Thanks for all the feedback. I am glad to hear my concerns on using a hobbs are unfounded. I am running 10awg directly from the battery to pumps/relays. I did find my 200A alternator was under-driven compared to stock pulley size, so assume this was part of the issue for charging at idle. The hobbs is working great and with a 2 PSI switch.

Users who are viewing this thread