DSS racing...

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
for what? a shortblock? HELL NO.

Dss uses cheap parts like probe. They are fine for the average car, but if you want to make big power and make it stick, thats not gonna do it.

Quadcammer

Established Member
they used to use probe exclusively. But if you think a small company like DSS makes it own pistons, you're nuts. They have them manufacturered by someone else, most likley probe.

DSS motors have had many issues with main and rod bearing clearance, some really nasty piston slap, and many other issues. Will it hold together, maybe, maybe not, but when you have so many other choices with a damn near flawless reputation, why risk going to DSS.

01 Venom

Established Member
I agree with Quad once again, dont have any experiene myself but I read alot, and more bad then good with DSS mod motors. Quads right they dont make their own internals.

I dont know I would look at someone with a better rep

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,T56,solid
Established Member
quadcammer said:
they used to use probe exclusively. But if you think a small company like DSS makes it own pistons, you're nuts. They have them manufacturered by someone else, most likley probe.

DSS motors have had many issues with main and rod bearing clearance, some really nasty piston slap, and many other issues. Will it hold together, maybe, maybe not, but when you have so many other choices with a damn near flawless reputation, why risk going to DSS.

I here all this talk about how much knowledge you have....hmmmm?

I'm not trying to start a pissing match cause this site and the member are all pretty cool....

I worked for them last year and I loaded the piston CNC machine myself. If a piston is 1 millionth of an inch out of spec the machine will toss it in the rejection pile. The only time they used Probe pistons is when they first opened and didnt have there piston making CNC machine set up yet.

Ask Bob Kurgan if his DSS motor is holding together. Hes running 8.16 @ 170 with a DSS short block on a drag radial. And Anderson Motorsports out of Clinton, IL. They have put tons of DSS shortblocks in customers cars with great results.

For the record... no shortblock/longblock can leave there facility without a quailtiy control inspection, checking all clearances and ect.... But you know everything so I'm wasting my time here.

DSS doesnt blow motors, drivers/tuners do. Lack of a good/ safe tune is the #1 death of any motor.

Good game! I'm checking out!!! :p

Last edited:

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,T56,solid
Established Member
01 Venom said:
I agree with Quad once again, dont have any experiene myself but I read alot, and more bad then good with DSS mod motors. Quads right they dont make their own internals.

I dont know I would look at someone with a better rep

Well whenever you guys are ready, fly out to chicago and we'll take a little drive over there and they'll be happy to give you a tour of there facility and you'll see there shortblocks going together with DSS pistons that they make there on site.

Ask Chrome98Cobra on this site about when I took him over there. He'll tell ya what he saw. Multiple CNC machines just getting down and dirty. :banana:

Quadcammer

Established Member
qwik01cobra said:
Dude I'm sorry....I hear your smart .... guess not....

I worked for them last year and I loaded the piston CNC machine myself. If a piston is 1 millionth of an inch out of spec the machine will toss it in the rejection pile. The only time they used Probe pistons is when they first opened and didnt have there piston making CNC machine set up yet.

Ask Bob Kurgan if his DSS motor is holding together. Hes running 8.16 @ 170 with a DSS short block on a drag radial. And Anderson Motorsports out of Clinton, IL. They have put tons of DSS shortblocks in customers cars with great results.

For the record... no shortblock/longblock can leave there facility without a quailtiy control inspection, checking all clearances and ect.... But you know everything so I'm wasting my time here.

DSS doesnt blow motors, drivers/tuners do. Lack of a good/ safe tune is the #1 death of any motor.

Good game! I'm checking out!!! :p

Ok, I stand corrected. Dss makes their own pistons, and uses them for their own operation. However, given DSS's horribly informative website, I know nothing about them except that their "NOS ready". Are they 2618? What do they weigh?

Like I give a shit about bob kurgan. Give me thousands of street customers who run their motor day in and day out. There have been a number of failures from their motors, within weeks or months of its assembly. Maybe they improved their operation, I don't follow it that closely, but there is a very good reason they aren't a big name in mod motors. Not to mention their level 20 bullshit with windsor motors is pathetic.

Every company known to man says they have quality control systems in place, but once again, tons of companies churn out crappy motors. For christ sake, even their descriptions of the motors sucks. 4340 rods? whose? who builds them? What exactly is a "race" balance? half a gram? what?

DSS never blows motors?
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273605&highlight=dss+engine
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/...ne-runnin-dss-motors-68908.html?highlight=dss
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/...w-shortblock-help-me-52691.html?highlight=dss
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/mustang-gt/new-motor-new-noises-51605.html?highlight=dss
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=895481&highlight=dss
(you even posted in this one, with a slightly less confident response).

Plenty of reasons for me to NEVER consider a DSS motor.

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,T56,solid
Established Member
For sure... To tell ya the truth I collapsed 4 pistons on my first Mod motor DSS shortblock. But that was cause a lack of fuel. My tune leaned out real bad up top and I pushed it to far before upgrading my fuel system. Thats the only issue I have ever had with them.

I know alot of people have had some horror stories with there blocks ect... But you dont think that some of the other big names like VT and MMR haven't had issues.???...???

O well... I would buy VT or DSS. But thats just my opinion. If I could do it all over again though I would have went with a 03' cobra shortblock in my boosted 2 valve. I'm done here...

PS: hands down, good finds there buddy.

GodStang

Established Member
My buddies DSS cracked all 8 pistions on like 8 psi. Some of the pistions where split in half. He sent them to them to look at and they where like ok. So he was out alot of money. DSS is crap.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
black03 said:
If you're thinking of going another route we have Al Pappitto Boss330 Racing Cobra Blocks in stock that can ship TODAy if you like. Take a peek and let me know if there's anything we can do for you. Thanks, Jared

If that was aluminum it would be an okay deal, but I doubt he wants to add 80lbs to the front of his car?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
qwik01cobra said:

They make their own pistons but that doesn't mean they're good.

asiancobra

PSN: new_edge_cobra
Established Member
black03 said:
If you're thinking of going another route we have Al Pappitto Boss330 Racing Cobra Blocks in stock that can ship TODAy if you like. Take a peek and let me know if there's anything we can do for you. Thanks, Jared

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pages-productinfo/product-13537/boss330-cobrablock-boss-330-racing-46l-cobra-shortblock.html

thanks for the offer, i'll give you guys a call or something whenever i made up my mind, i've seen plenty of goodies in your sites btw

Users who are viewing this thread