DSLR crew, advice needed

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I was looking at the Nikon D5300, thoughts ? seems like itd be a good entry level ?

If you have the cash, then yes. I bought the D3300 a few months ago for my first DSLR and I'm still learning. I try to shoot mostly in aperature priority mode. I have found it to be better than the auto modes in many cases. You will need to watch some youtube videos and practice.

My one complaint is that when shooting video, you can hear the lens continuously autofocus over the camera's microphone.

Last edited:

nate

Established Member
I do want to take a photography class to learn how to properly use the camera. The community college offers them here local, but it would be kind of expensive for both the wife and I to take the three courses recommended. Anyone try the online classes and have have success with them?

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
i got a deal on living social for $39 reg $99 for a 2 hr class and i can choose my subject. not too bad.

Explosive

Established Member
If you have the cash, then yes. I bought the D3300 a few months ago for my first DSLR and I'm still learning. I try to shoot mostly in aperature priority mode. I have found it to be better than the auto modes in many cases. You will need to watch some youtube videos and practice.

My one complaint is that when shooting video, you can hear the lens continuously autofocus over the camera's microphone.

Think its worth the extra ? I see D3200/D3300 kits for a lot less. What are the thoughts ? I'd mostly shoot cars, moving and sitting as well as mostly all outdoor stuff.

Also, anyone have personal experience with "factory refurbished" units ? I see online you get one guy says his was awesome, next guy has an issue, next guy says he's bought nothing but refurbs...

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Think its worth the extra ? I see D3200/D3300 kits for a lot less. What are the thoughts ? I'd mostly shoot cars, moving and sitting as well as mostly all outdoor stuff.

Also, anyone have personal experience with "factory refurbished" units ? I see online you get one guy says his was awesome, next guy has an issue, next guy says he's bought nothing but refurbs...

IMHO in cameras you GENERALLY get what you pay for. I have not compared the specs between the two but generally speaking as you go up things like the speed of movies, ability to take sequence shots etc goes up. as has been pointed out if an increase in MP is all you are looking for don't bother since you won't need/use the increase.

Factory refurbs are ok they come with the same warranty as the new stuff for the most part. Personally I do not use refurbs or buy used .. but that is a personal bias and it costs me money in the long run.

Explosive

Established Member
Also usually not a fan of refurbs. But watched an unboxing of one on youtube. Looked nicely packaged, has all the factory screen protectors/wrapping etc. Not just tossed in a box

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Also usually not a fan of refurbs. But watched an unboxing of one on youtube. Looked nicely packaged, has all the factory screen protectors/wrapping etc. Not just tossed in a box
of course it is going to be nicely packaged that is part of what a factory refurb is all about making a returned product applealing to a customer that wants something that they can look at as new without having to pay the new price. factory "refurbs" are sometimes new and unused merchandise, other times it is something that has been returned or traded in for a specific problem you will never know the details of why it was returned. which is why I avoid them.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I bought mine off ebay, guy had a lot of great feed back and sold alot of equiptment. he shipped it with ins and a signature required. everything is fine with mine but then again i took a risk on it. B&H has some great stuff and the lens i bought from them was immaculate and well packaged. They ship quick also and have great products. All in the risk though, i could;ve gotten a shitty camera and been stuck lol. It's not like new products don't have defective ones either fresh the factory.

Explosive

Established Member
Pretty sure im gonna pull the trigger tomorrow. Cameta has some decent looking refurb packages and beyond nikons 90 day warranty cameta gives a 1yr on all refurbs

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
If you plan on using it for real estate, please do yourself a favor and get a good wide angle lens, like the Canon 10-22 if you can find one.

I am by no means a good photographer, but I use a Canon T3i, with a 10-22 and my clients love my shots.

10703714_10202653302269900_1798863048133902264_n.jpg

10660295_10202653301989893_2514288456879552337_n.jpg

10389299_10202653303509931_566600809412642680_n.jpg

10247217_10202653301269875_6107916309624707345_n.jpg

9013_10202653303189923_3882812667429770109_n.jpg

A client of mine purchased this home from out of state, and wanted a few extra pics to show family, hence the mess.

A nice wide angle will do so much for your photos in tight bedroom shots.

I bought my setup brand new at Best Buy for around 900 with the lens.

Explosive

Established Member
I'm kinda torn, D5300 or D7100. The D5300 shoots nice 1080P HD video, have a swivel screen and is a little cheaper, has the newer/faster processor (4). My biggest concern is you have to navigate the menu on the screen to make all your adjustments. And when using the live view screen you cant actually see your adjustments until youve taken the shot. My biggest thing between Nikon and Canon that I've seen is it looks like Canon has lots of buttons for adjustments making it a little easier and faster when I'd rather have the buttons IMO. Which the D7100 seems to have the buttons as I like. D7100 also has the older 3 processor. So I'm torn now. I like the newer technology and the swivel screen of the D5300. But I feel the D7100 may be a slighter better camera still when you really go over the fine specs. Plus its waterproofed. I'm kinda leaning towards the D7100 now as I feel it would be easier to use for shooting photos and honestly I dont see myself doing a ton of video with this camera. I only film when I'm racing and I always use go pro for that.
Any thoughts ?

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
since you have narrowed it down to those two, I would suggest going into a camera store and looking at each of them in person. or go to best buy and do it. Camera store will be able to give you better advice, best buy MIGHT be less pressure to buy. pick them up (with lens attached if you can) see how they feel in your hands and get some advice from a camera expert. Personally I would stick with Nikon but either brand will get you what you want and will be a good buy. the swivel screen is not all that IMHO.

I'm kinda torn, D5300 or D7100. The D5300 shoots nice 1080P HD video, have a swivel screen and is a little cheaper, has the newer/faster processor (4). My biggest concern is you have to navigate the menu on the screen to make all your adjustments. And when using the live view screen you cant actually see your adjustments until youve taken the shot. My biggest thing between Nikon and Canon that I've seen is it looks like Canon has lots of buttons for adjustments making it a little easier and faster when I'd rather have the buttons IMO. Which the D7100 seems to have the buttons as I like. D7100 also has the older 3 processor. So I'm torn now. I like the newer technology and the swivel screen of the D5300. But I feel the D7100 may be a slighter better camera still when you really go over the fine specs. Plus its waterproofed. I'm kinda leaning towards the D7100 now as I feel it would be easier to use for shooting photos and honestly I dont see myself doing a ton of video with this camera. I only film when I'm racing and I always use go pro for that.
Any thoughts ?

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Any thoughts ?

I have the d5300 and I was unimpressed with the video portion. I haven't really messed with it too much but the one time I did use it for video it wasn't good. I may have been doing something wrong, but it didn't refocus and the when I forced it to refocus the lens noise was annoying. I just got a new wide angle lens that I'm messing around with. I like the camera but I'm a photo bum. There are better cameras with better lens combinations that aren't Nikon. I'd use my gopro over my Nikon for video damn near every time.

Explosive

Established Member
I watched a video comparison between the two. Aside from really bright colors having more pop i could see no difference. And this is something id be buying for photo stuff not shooting video. Kinda come to the conclusion the d7100 seems better. As said i would mostly shoot parked cars and scenery but would try and get moving cars at the race track etc.

nate

Established Member
I agree on the wide angle lenses. It's almost a must for taking good interior shots.

nate

Established Member
After a lot of research I ending going with the Nikon d3300. Was going to get the d3200 2 lenses bundle at best buy for $499, but then saw the d3300 refurbished with one lens for $375. Did some research on the d3300 and it is a better camera, if not by much. Almost pulled the trigger till amazon had a red d3300 pop up for $499 and I jumped on that. It comes with a bag, the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Zoom Lens, extra battery, 32 gig memory card, hdmi cable, tutorial DVD, uv filter, and tripod. Looking forward to it. Probably going to take a class at the community college this January. Now I need to find a good deal on a wide angle lens.

Users who are viewing this thread