Drove my first Lightning...

ender.

Established Member
and all I can say is I am sold.

It was a red 2000 Lightning at a local Ford Dealership and all that was done was an intake. I instantly fell in love with that supercharger whine! I used to own some 4 cylinder turbo cars but man, they dont even compare to that supercharged V8 sound.

The salesman said they wouldn't budge off the 13,900 asking price and of course they offered me next to nothing for my newer Ranger with less miles. I might still just try to sell my Ranger out right and go back with some cash.

Or I will continue to look around locally and see what pops up. Hopefully I can join you guys in here soon enough!

MJG

Established Member
Never forget my first drive, I bought it private a few years ago, the owner was extremely anal, so he didn't let me drive it right off the bat.
We jumped on the local highway and floored it.....I was sold

uncooked

Established Member
I was sold before I even got to drive mine :lol1:

The private seller took me for a ride and got on it....... In my head it was sold right then and there :rolling:

ender.

Established Member
Don't mess with Stealerships! find one on here. You can find a decentley modded one for that price.

Id real like to find one as close to stock as possible, but I do agree with you. The only reason I really went there is because I wanted to drive it and kick the tires a little, rather than waste a pvt. sellers time.

And the fact of a trade in but hopefully like I said I can find someone to scoop up my great Ranger ;)

bskin38

99L
Established Member
ender,
i would deffinetly look around more! i looked around for about a year and a half, before i bought my truck. and i found the best deal ever! and anyone who knows my truck, will say the same thing. check the classifieds here,NLOC, and lightning rodder.
how far are you willing to spend and drive to get a lightning? most of the trucks in the classifieds are already modded too. i think you should look around a bit more. try an find a truck with the added upgrades already done to it, so you dont have to do them later on. modding these trucks can get expensive!
good luck with your choice!
billy

ender.

Established Member
welcome to the sickness...

Oh I've had it for a while now. I used to own a '91 Galnt VR4 and a '90 AWD Talon. I've been out of the game for a while now because I've been in college, but I graduate in a month! So it's time to reward myself and get back into something that makes me smile!

And thanks for the advice bskin38, I am in no hurry at all.

PRJCTSCARECROW

just chillaxing
Established Member
I remember my first test drive, took it around the dealership and my first words out of my mouth when we got back were "Where do i sign?" :-D

Bird

Old and tired............
Established Member
A word of advice - most of the 'stockers' you'll find out there have been modded, run hard and then demodded - I personally would try to find one with the mods that I would eventually put on it anyway - they usually sell for what the stockers would and you save a bunch of money that way.

Bird

SADF

Established Member
If I did it over, I'd buy one of the built or heavily modded ones on here. They are usually done by repsective members who take care of their trucks better than most and sale for the same price as a stocker. Not to mention a new built motor probably is safer than a stock one considering all of the faul ups the stock motors are prone to.

LSUstang05

Established Member
Don't mess with Stealerships! find one on here. You can find a decentley modded one for that price.

QFT.

And I had bought my truck before I had even sat in a Lightning. Flew about 1,000 miles from Baton Rouge to Omaha, NE to buy it and drove it back down that weekend. Best road trip of my life :rockon:

04mellowyellow

Ford Nut
Established Member
Right under 65,000.

And thanks for the advice Bird, I will definitely keep that in mind.

I think the price is not too bad considering it is from a dealership. But for them not to budge on price sucks. The L better have some kind of warranty and must be very clean for that price.

Last edited:

gen2lightning

I LOVE MY LIGHTNING....
Established Member
When i bought mine from a stealership an older man use to own it! Drove it and i fell in love! lol THe sales man wouln't let me drive it until he looked at my credit.

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
Don't feel bad, the salesman had me ready to sign papers on it. I had never ever been in a Lightning or an equal Mustang. I asked him if I could drive 1st since I hadn't been in one and reluctantly allowed a short run in town. I was buying it anyway, but that pretty much solved the haggling problem. I wanted the 1st gen in high school so it was a given I wanted the 2nd gen. Buy one that you can do the work on or is built to your taste. Just be sure to fine documentation on mods and any dyno tuning done to it.

JoePac

Established Member
Do some research the 01's up have some updates in gearing,mass air and the s/c which stock from stock is a big difference.

ender.

Established Member
Do some research the 01's up have some updates in gearing,mass air and the s/c which stock from stock is a big difference.

I have read that and will probably hold out until I can find and 01-04 that I like. Yesterday was just a firm start in my quest to find my perfect Lightning. I wanted one before I drove it, but now, I can actually taste it and remember that feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread