Drove a Speed3 Yesterday

Raindog

Established Member
Mom's been thinking of upgrading, she drove it first and said that the clutch felt heavy and it had a lot of power. I drove it back to the dealership, clutch was feather light and it was peppy in the midrange.

xenodragon

Established Member
haha, I almost put a hole in the floorboard of my speed3 after driving my cobra the clutch is that light.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
I was on a testdrive with a buddy who was looking at one.

He told me to drive it and see what I thought. I get in and shut the door. Press my foot on the clutch (not thinkng) and seriously thought the clutch was broken or something. The cluch is that light. I was used to driving my Cobra and it just felt soooo weird.

I pressed it in a few more times and he asked, "whats wrong?" LOL I just started laughing and said the clutch is super light compared to the Cobra. The salesman was with us and said, "Lets see what you got". I said, "huh?" He said, "Do a few donuts and get a feel for the clutch." Couldn't turn down the opportunity so I did what he asked.

He was a younger guy in his early 20s. Come to find out he graduated from my highschool. Anyway the Speed 3s aren't too bad for the price & if your interested in that type of car. Also heard the Speed 6s are just as impressive if not more.

Last edited:

20psirabbit

Established Member
how are those cars? they seem like they should be a fun little runabout with a bit of power that gets decent mileage. i just don't see them too much.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
how are those cars? they seem like they should be a fun little runabout with a bit of power that gets decent mileage. i just don't see them too much.

Honetly I was suprised. They impressed me more than I thought they would.

Of course I would never drive one, but to each his own.

Raindog

Established Member
Perfect DD for folks who need to haul a lot of stuff, amazing what you can fit in there with the rear seats folded. Boosted 2.3 is a good combo with the light clutch and six speed but torque steer is a bit much if not pointed straight. They are flat in the curves with plenty of understeer but I'm sure they could be tweaked. All in all, it's a lot of car for not a lot of cabbage and would make for a perfect daily driver.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
id wait and pick up a Genesis Coupe. I hear the potential of the turbo version is unreal, forged bottom end capable of 30psi without lifting the heads and estimates of being able to make 700whp untouched from the oil pan to the valvecover, a turbo that puts out 8-10psi stock but can still flow well up to 20psi and not putter out (like alot of other stock turbo's), IRS rear end that is well designed and a 6spd gearbox. Pricetag of low 20's.

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
Haven't driven a Mazdaspeed3, but I had a Mazda3 (Sport version) when they first came out. It's a great little car. Pretty quick, handles great and it's decent on gas. I think it feels like a BMW 3 series for half the price. Sure, it's FWD and not as luxurious, but overall the "driving feel" of the car is very similar. Probably one of the best bang-for-the-buck daily drivers in the under $20K range. And that was with 165hp or so, I can't imagine what it's like with the Mazdaspeed's 260hp. Must be a freakin rocket.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
id wait and pick up a Genesis Coupe. I hear the potential of the turbo version is unreal, forged bottom end capable of 30psi without lifting the heads and estimates of being able to make 700whp untouched from the oil pan to the valve cover, a turbo that puts out 8-10psi stock but can still flow well up to 20psi and not putter out (like a lot of other stock turbo's), IRS rear end that is well designed and a 6spd gearbox. Price tag of low 20's.

I agree about waiting on the Genesis Coupe. If it has the same quality level and attention to detail as the Genesis sedan, it should be a good one! My wife has a 2009 Hyundai Azera V-6 and I love the car. This will be even better. I gotta hand it to Hyundai. When I saw the Genesis sedan in the showroom I was blown away. I can't wait to test drive the coupe. It's a must-try for me. A lot of car for the money.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Hundai aint ****ing around anymore. They see a market for a rwd coupe thats light and nimble with power and potential for a great pricetag, and are going for it. Theyll sell out every Genesis coupe. Only car that comes close to fitting the bill currently is the 350Z and you wont walk out of the dealership without spending $30k.

They couldve done good with that market already if the tiburon was rwd.

Users who are viewing this thread