Drove a MACH 1 tonight...

whizdumb81

RealEyesRealizeRealLies
Established Member
Now i have all the respect in the world for our cobras... But, it wasn't until a buddy of mine let me drive his 04 mach one that i realized how crappy my cobra is... The thing shifted like a dream and no drivetrain slack... It had better pickup than my cobra even though the mach was stock and i have 373's overall the ride was nicer and it' just seemed so much more daily drivable.. I also noticed the torque down a little lower which felt good. I may be looking for one soon.. Anybody want a white 2001 cobra in central jersey?

Last edited:

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
I think it is the cams that help the mach 1 with the low end torque. I have never driven a mach 1 but i can say that i hate the slack in the drivetrain of my car. Never feels totally responsive

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Did you see the article on Shawn Johnsons factory stock motor in the lastes 5.0. It made 375 ft lbs and 375rwhp with 96-98 cams, 03/04heads and a stock Mach intake. Now that would be a nice DD engine.

UCBeau

there's no doubt about it, the 5 speed mach 1's are very cool cars. i like their low end, even if we can rev higher in our 4v's.

chevysRslow

Established Member
Have to agree... Driving my brother's 03 mach back to back against my 99 Cobra and the Mach is MUCH more fun. I have the stock 3.27 rear which I'm sure is part of it but the mach seems to pull harder from idle to 6000 rpm.

4a7191a

Established Member
one thing ive noticed from my girls cobra to my mach, is well the mach's faster (mod for mod), but the cobra rides better, idles better, and is all in all a smoother running motor, my mach has far from a smooth running motor, it idles funny sometimes, has been to the dealer for "leak's", and loves to throw stupid codes. i think the cobra has a wee bit more quality in it as well, exept for the crappy 99 irs the cars great, i like both cars alot, but the mach to me is still the king when comparing stock for stock n/a 4.6 platforms.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I test drove a New 04 Mach one afternoon, fun car for sure, felt a hair quicker than my Cobra but i didn't enjoy throwing it around as much as i did my 01....so the Torch red mach stayed at the dealership and i drove my Cobra back home

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
chevysRslow said:
Have to agree... Driving my brother's 03 mach back to back against my 99 Cobra and the Mach is MUCH more fun. I have the stock 3.27 rear which I'm sure is part of it but the mach seems to pull harder from idle to 6000 rpm.
i'm guessing this was the impression before you had the blower on your car? :p

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
I test drove a 99 Cobra for a friend who was considering buying the damn thing. It felt sloppy, heavy and slow specially in the rear part of the car. It felt ALOT slower than my car that I was certain it might have had something wrong with it, and the owner said that it DID have the fix and showed us the documents etc. (I'm pretty sure the IRS had something do do with some of it). It even supposedly had the FR500 catback (because oif the 2nd X after the mufflers) and the guy claimed that it WAS the FR500 even though my Magnaflow catback was still way louder and more aggressive than it at WOT.

Perhape it was bad maintenence? ..added with the heavy feeling of the IRS?, but in a side by side comparo, I hated it.

Chanceman512

Ker-chow!!!
Established Member
I dont know,, I raced a buddy of mine in an 04 mach about 2 years ago when both our cars were bone stock, and everytime we raced, it would be a close race, but I would always inch him out about half a car.

Users who are viewing this thread