Drones

Klay

Established Member
So I have been getting into drones (multirotors) lately and have been really enjoying flying. I have 2 drones so far and am considering getting my third one soon. I'm looking at getting a parrot anafi. I am also seriously considering getting my part 107 license to be able to fly commercially. Anyone else have experience with drones?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I fly helicopters, but I also have a Yuneec Q500 Typhoon with 4K gimbal mounted camera. By comparison the drone is infinitely easier to fly. They are a lot of fun, have gotten some great shots of my cars, the camera takes excellent still shots in high def.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The Mavic is likely the best out right now in that line.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Really? They're fairly inexpensive, from a quick Google search. I haven't really dove in and started shopping yet.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I have my Part 107 and a Mavic 2 Pro, love that drone. What are you wanting to do commercially? I worked a bit for an engineering inspection firm on the side doing their roof visuals with a Phantom 4 setup. Hoping to get back into it once they turn to that side of the business again, it was great money.

Klay

Established Member
I have my Part 107 and a Mavic 2 Pro, love that drone. What are you wanting to do commercially? I worked a bit for an engineering inspection firm on the side doing their roof visuals with a Phantom 4 setup. Hoping to get back into it once they turn to that side of the business again, it was great money.

From what I have researched, real estate photography/videography seems to be pretty lucrative. How was it getting your part 107 license? I've been doing some studying on my own but reading nautical charts is tough.

For engineering inspection, do you have to have some engineering background?

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
From what I have researched, real estate photography/videography seems to be pretty lucrative. How was it getting your part 107 license? I've been doing some studying on my own but reading nautical charts is tough.

The license is easy. There really is nothing to it.

Klay

Established Member
The license is easy. There really is nothing to it.

Oh really? From what I have read online it seems it is tough but if that is not the case, I feel a little better. I don't want to spend $150 for the test and then fail ha.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Oh really? From what I have read online it seems it is tough but if that is not the case, I feel a little better. I don't want to spend $150 for the test and then fail ha.
My brother and I both have the license. I'm down a drone though. Living near the Army cyber comms capital of Ft Gordon messed with the radio and or reciever. I watched my DJI Phantom helplessly crash, and it has yet to be found. It could have been hit with a signal blocker, there could have been a glitch with the transmitter or receiver, or an odd issue popped up. Regardless, the Phantom is history.

No, I did not fly over the base. My house is 800 yards from Ft Gordon property. I have had a few of the soldiers and the range commander help me look for the drone in case it drifted onto base. By now I am sure the rain and cold has destroyed it. It is almost a certainty that it is in the top of a pine tree, or fell into one of their controlled burn areas.

I used to make a few dollars here and there by doing agriculture checks for farmers.

I also used it to scout deer trails.

My brother is a traffic engineer for the county. He uses his drone at work a few times a month. He also uses it for photography and video.

Klay

Established Member
My brother and I both have the license. I'm down a drone though. Living near the Army cyber comms capital of Ft Gordon messed with the radio and or reciever. I watched my DJI Phantom helplessly crash, and it has yet to be found. It could have been hit with a signal blocker, there could have been a glitch with the transmitter or receiver, or an odd issue popped up. Regardless, the Phantom is history.

No, I did not fly over the base. My house is 800 yards from Ft Gordon property. I have had a few of the soldiers and the range commander help me look for the drone in case it drifted onto base. By now I am sure the rain and cold has destroyed it. It is almost a certainty that it is in the top of a pine tree, or fell into one of their controlled burn areas.

I used to make a few dollars here and there by doing agriculture checks for farmers.

I also used it to scout deer trails.

My brother is a traffic engineer for the county. He uses his drone at work a few times a month. He also uses it for photography and video.

Dang man that stinks. That is an expensive loss. Well, hopefully one day you will be able to get another one. My current drone, an mjx bugs 5w, randomly lost signal and fell out of the air the other day. It is in a realtively open space I fly, so I dont think it was radio interference. I lucked out though and it was close by. No damage, just got all dirty.

It is amazing what these drones can do now. It will be interesting to see the next set of rules the FAA comes up with. It already seems they are working on making it easier for commercial drone pilots (not so much for recreational users).

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
It would be nice to have another some day, but it's a lot of money to let sit on a shelf for weeks at a time at some points.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen

It could be depending on where you are, but everyone and their mother has a drone business now. The test was fairly easy for me but I've worked in Aviation for 16 years. For the job I was doing, no I did not need any kind of engineering background, they just told me what kind of images they wanted and I did it. Pretty easy stuff.

Dang man that stinks. That is an expensive loss. Well, hopefully one day you will be able to get another one. My current drone, an mjx bugs 5w, randomly lost signal and fell out of the air the other day. It is in a realtively open space I fly, so I dont think it was radio interference. I lucked out though and it was close by. No damage, just got all dirty.

It is amazing what these drones can do now. It will be interesting to see the next set of rules the FAA comes up with. It already seems they are working on making it easier for commercial drone pilots (not so much for recreational users).

I imagine as time goes on we'll see less regulation, we're way behind Europe as it is when it comes to UAS integration.

Klay

Established Member
It could be depending on where you are, but everyone and their mother has a drone business now. The test was fairly easy for me but I've worked in Aviation for 16 years. For the job I was doing, no I did not need any kind of engineering background, they just told me what kind of images they wanted and I did it. Pretty easy stuff.

I imagine as time goes on we'll see less regulation, we're way behind Europe as it is when it comes to UAS integration.

I dont know, I read an article on the FAA website from June 2018 that they had issued 100k part 107 licenses. That isn't very many people compared to the overall US workforce. I have yet to meet anyone who does it for a living. I found some companies online but not that many overall.

It is definitely a growing field though, especially as regulations are eased. I can forsee a big demand in the future as more companies see the benefits of incorporating drones.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I dont know, I read an article on the FAA website from June 2018 that they had issued 100k part 107 licenses. That isn't very many people compared to the overall US workforce. I have yet to meet anyone who does it for a living. I found some companies online but not that many overall.

It is definitely a growing field though, especially as regulations are eased. I can forsee a big demand in the future as more companies see the benefits of incorporating drones.
Excluding my brother, there are a couple professional pilots in my area. Real Estate agents and local commercials make up the bulk of clientele.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen

Unfortunately a good number of people making money with drones do not have a Part 107. Ask a Realtor who does their aerial photos, it’s usually either themselves or “some guy”. Neither typically worry about getting the license.

No harm in trying though since it doesn’t cost much to register an LLC, pass the 107, and get a used Phantom 4 for $300-400.

I operate big drones in the USAF for a living so I haven’t really pursued the sUAS that much, wish you good luck though!

Users who are viewing this thread