Driving w blown cats?

ShadesofGrey

Established Member
Ok so heres the deal. Heard an awful knocking noise friday night. Turned out to be loose honeycomb bouncing around the cat. I didnt drive it again til last night. I banged on the cat and drove it w open headers to work so that the pieces might fly out. I then rebolted the x pipe to the cats and there was still rattling. Meaning there was still a little left obviously as it turned out. Would it be ok to drive the car like that this whole week til saturday? The rattle is pretty much gone now but I know theres a little bit left for a fact. On saturday I was planning to make a C cut in thecat, hollow it out and then weld it.

Last edited:

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
Well the chunks could clog your exhaust, I would clean it out before much driving. That being said it really just depends.

ShadesofGrey

Established Member
Honestly I have no clue. They are mated to a magnaflow x pipe though. So it would be bad if I drove 16 miles a day til saturday? I havent really felt a loss of power more than anything a gain of power. It climbs through the rpm's much smoother. Id prob say they are stock if they blew right?

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
When I had some blown cats I just floored it on the highway... out they came in the form dust and black smoke... haha. they were fine after that, although I have balls of steel and wouldn't advise this.

Emwun Garand

Established Member
If it gets inside the baffles on your mufflers you may never get it out, short of cutting open the muffler. I'd park it, or remove the x-pipe and get a broomstick up in there to possibly break it into smaller chunks.

Users who are viewing this thread