Driving my cobra home in the rain with drag radials

y2kpony

Established Member
I'm having some work done on my cobra this week and it will be done Thursday and going in the dyno Friday. They are calling for a washout weather wise here in pa and I'm curious if any of you guys have had to get your car home in this weather with drag radials. They are 17" nto5s. I'll have to go almost 20 miles and there are hills involved. Ive never had this happen. Will it be ok or should I let it there and go back one day next week. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
NT-05 drag radials suck in the rain. I hit hard rain when mine were new and I couldn't go over 35-40 without getting silly. Those roads were flat too. That was standing water and hard rain, but I wouldn't drive those in the rain if I had a choice.

MGC

Established Member
Just wait until clear weather to get would be my suggestion. If they weren't drag radials they'd be better in the rain but for you'd I say just be patient.

03mustang92

1of154
Established Member
if you dont drive like a moron you will be fine, i have drove a few times in the rain on the way back from the track (2hrs) and i got rained on. I made it home just fine

stangposse

Established Member
If they are calling for heavy rains then forget it....don't drive it at all. Just look up the dozen or so threads on here where guys with DR's lost it in the rain. As long as the car is safe where you are leaving it, I'd wait it out. Its not like you're going to be enjoying it anyway.

ctgreddy

Established Member
When I got my big n littles(et street dr's rear m&h race master fronts) I ha to drive 90 miles home. Rained the whole way and I was doing an easy 65 on the highway no issues. I hear the 05r's really suck tho. But like stated just be very cautious and you will be fine.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
It is all honestly going to depend on the amount of tread depth left on the tires. I just drove 50 miles home from a show in the rain with brand new M/T DRs. Ran 10 under the limit and had ZERO issues. Opposite end of the spectrum, last year on the way home from Mustang Week, I had worn 335 Nittos, ran into a pretty good shower on I-95, and had to stop off an exit b/c ass end was getting squirrely at 40 MPH.
If you value your car, and 20 miles is the distance, don't chance it. Leave the car until clear weather.

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
drive like a granny, it might be a white knuckle drive @50mph...but is doable. I have been caught in the rain a couple times on long trips with my Nitto DR's, I usually just turn on the hazards and dont worry about making it to my destination in a hurry.

Maustang

Established Member
I run M/T DR's, I have no problems driving in the rain. Obviously your going to hydroplane if you go to fast and spin the tires if you put to much power down or spin out if you take a corner to fast.

My personal opinion on driving in the rain is that if you don't know what your car is going to do at highway speeds in the rain. You shouldn't be in a high HP car in the first place.

I'm not saying your a bad drive OP. If you have confidence in your driving ability's you should be fine. Don't do anything stupid and take it easy.

flS/R

Established Member
don't do it or take a different set of wheels with you to swap out with

wastntime

Established Member
I drove over 200 miles back home from Ocean City MD in a down pour with my M/T ET Street Radials. It held up fine.

mike.b

Established Member
I've hit light rain with ET Streets before, wasn't too bad. I wouldn't chance it myself when I know its going to rain though.

Users who are viewing this thread