Driving Impressions @ Watkins Glen

blownstang01

Established Member
I spent the day at Watkins Glen race track Wednesday. I have been quite impressed with the new Mustang on the road and was excited to see how well it did on the track. I have owned several different Mustangs including my 7 second 4V powered X275 car that I sold recently. But, my comparison for this purpose was my 2001 GT, 4V conversion with a full Griggs suspension and Nitto NT01 tires that I had almost 500 miles at the Glen with. I purposely took the '15 for the first track day 100% stock so I could see for myself any future suspension upgrades effectiveness.
Well, I must say I am thoroughly impressed with what Ford has done with this version. My corner speeds were very close to if not just as fast as the Griggs 2001, and with stock Perreli's. The car does have the obligatory understeer when pushed hard, but I was amazed at how well you can force it through the apex with the throttle. The IRS is amazing even with stock bushings as anyone who has road raced a solid axle will attest. The only thing I complained about was the 3.73 gears were a little off for this track as I was having to shift into 5th in the middle of the esses or hit the rev limiter, which is obviously not Ford's fault. Great car, Ford spent some time on this one.

11540825_830109980369610_2503352765482003695_n by blownstang01, on Flickr

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I would get it tuned and bump the rev limiter up like most tuners do vise a gear change ;)

Users who are viewing this thread