Driveway Estimate Question

LUBaseball2

Established Member
If anyone has experience installing or have had a driveway installed I would appreciate the feedback. What do you think a fair price would be for clearing and installing a 100ft driveway would be?

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I can't for the life of me remember exactly what the cost per square foot was to have our driveway installed, but I believe the guy said to figure about $7 a square foot.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Too many variables with you not having an existing driveway - if you were replacing existing, it would be easier to figure.

Gonna depend on how many trees, how much grading is required, how wide you want it, access for trucks/concrete, etc.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
If anyone has experience installing or have had a driveway installed I would appreciate the feedback. What do you think a fair price would be for clearing and installing a 100ft driveway would be?

Gravel, asphalt, concrete? It makes a huge difference. Even gravel 1 1/2" crusher run is ~$35 per ton delivered and you will need ~40 tons for a decent base. Then all the labor for clearing & grading. The prep for asphalt and concrete often involves a good base which adds to the cost.

I have a 300ft gravel drive 5" deep and it took over 120 tons of gravel. If you do get gravel, the crusher run is good because it contains fine pieces that compact down well.

oldmodman

Established Member
I went with concrete. i originally had a dirt driveway (house is from 1928)

Six inches thick with rebar. After 40 years it still looks like new with only one hairline surface crack. Had the surface broomed to give it a slightly rough texture.

I would make the same decision again. Except I would have had an even bigger pad poured at the end. My second house has an asphalt driveway which was there when I bought it. Wouldn't take another asphalt drive for free. Too hot to walk on in the summer and they crack.

LUBaseball2

Established Member
Gravel, asphalt, concrete? It makes a huge difference. Even gravel 1 1/2" crusher run is ~$35 per ton delivered and you will need ~40 tons for a decent base. Then all the labor for clearing & grading. The prep for asphalt and concrete often involves a good base which adds to the cost.

I have a 300ft gravel drive 5" deep and it took over 120 tons of gravel. If you do get gravel, the crusher run is good because it contains fine pieces that compact down well.

It will be gravel. I was quoted 4k from a builder for 100 ft. I was mainly trying to figure out if it was reasonable. I thought it seemed steep considering they're already clearing most of the land for the home site.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
It will be gravel. I was quoted 4k from a builder for 100 ft. I was mainly trying to figure out if it was reasonable. I thought it seemed steep considering they're already clearing most of the land for the home site.

Do yourself a favor and make sure you get the width, depth, and length written in a contract. I would get a written break-down from the builder for materials & labor, so you can see if you are getting screwed. The materials delivered and spread will be less than $1,500 (unless you are getting weed barrier underneath). So it sounds like he is charging you $2,500 for removal and grading. Sounds steep unless he plans on scrapping a 100 ft driveway being a 25 hour job LOL. A backhoe can take out a large cedar in a matter of a few minutes. If they are small trees he may use a Bobcat.

LUBaseball2

Established Member
Do yourself a favor and make sure you get the width, depth, and length written in a contract. I would get a written break-down from the builder for materials & labor, so you can see if you are getting screwed. The materials delivered and spread will be less than $1,500 (unless you are getting weed barrier underneath). So it sounds like he is charging you $2,500 for removal and grading. Sounds steep unless he plans on scrapping a 100 ft driveway being a 25 hour job LOL. A backhoe can take out a large cedar in a matter of a few minutes. If they are small trees he may use a Bobcat.

Thanks for the advice. I requested an itemized listing of materials yesterday. They're supposed to start clearing on Friday of this week and they kind of threw this on us last minute. Seems to me they're just trying to pad some margin.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
That's a ridiculous quote. I have a gravel driveway that is just about a quarter mile long that I have to add gravel to every few years. Last time was three 22 ton truck loads of 57's that cost about $800 delivered, and the guy even spread the last load.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I went with concrete. i originally had a dirt driveway (house is from 1928)

Six inches thick with rebar. After 40 years it still looks like new with only one hairline surface crack. Had the surface broomed to give it a slightly rough texture.

I would make the same decision again. Except I would have had an even bigger pad poured at the end. My second house has an asphalt driveway which was there when I bought it. Wouldn't take another asphalt drive for free. Too hot to walk on in the summer and they crack.

I'm hoping my asphalt driveway will make it at least five more years, but it's not looking good. Concrete will go back in its place when the time comes.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
That's a ridiculous quote. I have a gravel driveway that is just about a quarter mile long that I have to add gravel to every few years. Last time was three 22 ton truck loads of 57's that cost about $800 delivered, and the guy even spread the last load.

Don't those large rocks annoy the hell out of you. We have those on the main HOA road that is 1/2 mile and they annoy the piss out of me. When I get to my driveway the 1 1/2 crusher run feels like glass because it packs down like concrete.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
s
Don't those large rocks annoy the hell out of you. We have those on the main HOA road that is 1/2 mile and they annoy the piss out of me. When I get to my driveway the 1 1/2 crusher run feels like glass because it packs down like concrete.

You must be confused, 57's are less than an inch. And I've tried crush'n run, it turned into a mud bog when it rained, it was the worst thing I've ever put down.

The best by far is asphalt millings followed by crushed concrete. I know from many years maintaining this thing, my driveway and I have a love/hate relationship lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread