Drivetrain noise

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
please excuse me if this has been posted in this forum before, but I don't look at this forum that often since I have a 2003 Marauder. However a friend of mine just purchased an 04 Cobra, and he has noticed some drivetrain noise, and the dealer told him that all the new Cobras make drivetrain noise. He described it as a ticking or clunking sound. he said that he thought it was the differential, but someone else who got a ride in his car said it sounded like it was coming from the clutch area.

I just was wondering if any of you guys have noticed any drivetrain noises, and if so, is this anything considered normal for these cars?

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
hmm, it's hard to say man! There could be so many things wrong from what I'm experiencing now....The clunk could just be coming from the play in the drivetrain, thats somewhat normal!

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Thankyou for your reply. I'm going to suggest to him that he gives me a ride in his car so that I can hear for myself exactly what he's talking about. In the meantime, I'll tell him what you said. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
I'll try to give this thread a bump tomorrow so other guys more knowledgeable than I am can jump on it with their opinions.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
OK, time to post the read deal. If your trannie has:

1. Marbles in a can sound
  2. Clunk
  3. High pitched whine in 5th
    [/list=1]

These are normal.

These are abnormal:
    1. High pitched squeaking noise in neutral.
    2. Clanking
    3. Grinding noise above 2K.
    4. Rattling (like nails in a tin can)
    5. Low end grunting or narling sounds
      [/list=1]

Hope this helps! :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As I-Can-Stang said, the clunking is most likely due to the play Ford designed into the drivetrain. LOL! So unfortunately it is normal. Drive a Viper or a Corvette and you'll see a difference. Bigger sticker price has it's plusses. LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread