• Nope, that was not apart of the "standard features"

Votes: 54 6.7%
  • what the hell is drivetrain clunk?

Votes: 38 4.7%

• Total voters

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I took my car to the dealer for the driveline clunk. This is what they had to tell me.

"Driveline clunk during quick acceleration just after coast. Some 99-03 Cobras may exhibit a "clunk" noise from the tranny during a quick acceleration just after coast. The clunk is present in all gears, but may be more noticable in 5th. This condition is a normal charecteristic of the mustang cobra. It is caused by driveline lash reacting to the rapid response of the engine when the throttle is suddenly opened. The clunk noise has no effect on the performance or the durability of the vehicle. If a customer reports this condition, inspect and check the driveshaft attaching bolts, axle mounts, transmition mounts, and subframe mounting bolts proper tourque. No other service should be performed."

What a crock of shit. I had a wonderful day today. First they tell me they can't fix the 80mph vibe because they can't drive it at 80mph and now they tell me this annoying clunking noise is "normal". You know what I want to know. If "SOME 99-03 Cobras may exhibit a "clunk" noise from the tranny during a quick acceleration just after coast, then why is it "a normal charecteristic of the mustang cobra. Does that mean if you car does not have a clunk you should bring it in for repairs? What a crock of shit.

I called up customer service to complain about my 80 mph vibe and they said they would have the dealership check the tire balance and alignment and that "should alleviate the problem". When I asked the dealer if they did that service, they said "YEA". Those **** smoking liars didn't have my rim lock key.. how the hell did they balance the tire while it was still attached to my car?

Last edited:

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Jeesh, isn't anything my car does normal?? I have a hog but I love her (sigh). I accepted the klunk as normal and hoped if I ignored it then it would go away. Got the same answer from ford though, it's normal. 6th gear, let off the gas=double kick from the shifter. Resume throttle= klunk. Atleast thats what mine does and until something breaks because of it I live with it. Oh wait I can't drive my car...so nothing else can break:lol:

donaisenbrey

Established Member
Check my sig. I now have two of the "normal" Cobras. You can see how old the the above Ford "wright-up" is....they do not mention 6th gear.

BTW: I wish that my two "normal" cars only "clunked" when I give it gas. Mine clunk at all times except WOT (and the biggest clunk is when the gas guage hits the empty peg);-) ..................Don

Moonlight96GT

Established Member
We have the clunk in all gears. Dealer told me same thing...."normal"

I just live with it! Car is too fuggin bad ass to waste time at the dealer! :thumbsup:

donaisenbrey

Established Member
Sorry, I forgot I didn't have a sig on this board......Now I do..........Don

BTW: The '99 has 39,000 miles of clunking and thudding and is still running strong. I felt sure that as soon as the warrantee ran out the drive shaft would hit the street.

Last edited:

i8u

Established Member
My 03 does it. My 98 had three t-45s and they all had a clunk. I have to admit I was pretty suprized when the t-56 had a clunk w it.:??:

SnakeCharmed

Established Member
Mine also clunks, most noticeable on deceleration and then giving it gas in a city driving environment. I agree it is to bad ass to be at a dealer especially when they are not going to fix it anyway. I turn the stereo up until I get to the highway then I turn it down and hit it. My brother paid $5K more for his vette and has less horsepower and also has a driveline clunk, so I am happy.

SVTyballz

Established Member
Originally posted by 03vertPA
Does anyone notice the noise in first gear coming from the t-56. It sounds like a diesel!

Yep. Noticed it. Sounds like a T-56 factory installed option. Just like the drivetrain clunk. Whether or not the clunk was an option installed by Tremec or Ford im not sure. No biggie to me though, pretty much normal sounds to my Mustang driving ears. At least my car drives straight now. Dealer brought the alignment into spec yesterday. Glad it wasn't a nightmare like others are experiencing. Later.

gary

Rob03

Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
I called up customer service to complain about my 80 mph vibe and they said they would have the dealership check the tire balance and alignment and that "should alleviate the problem". When I asked the dealer if they did that service, they said "YEA". Those **** smoking liars didn't have my rim lock key.. how the hell did they balance the tire while it was still attached to my car?

Don't dealer's have a universal rim lock key? Not saying they did balance them but I do believe they have a universal key.

Cheers, :beer:
Robert

dmark101

dmark101
Established Member
hmm.

i've had that 'clunk' since day one. i really don't pay much attention to it, aside from the fact that it can be a little annoying. maybe there's just a little bit too much slack in the driveline.

p3pete

Toys R Us Kid
Established Member
I've had it since delivery. Either I've gotten used to it or it has lessened with time/miles (1450 and counting).
Cheers,
Pete

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
The T-45 in my '98 will "clunk" under certain circumstances, as well. 46K hard miles on the original tranny, no ill effects, otherwise...

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
Originally posted by 03vertPA
Does anyone notice the noise in first gear coming from the t-56. It sounds like a diesel!

I have a chattering (diesel) sound as soon as I let off the clutch in first...the sound fades as I reach around 3000 rpms. It's been this way since the first day I drove it. Also...I have a rattle coming from my shifter (under the boot)...that comes and goes. Now that bugs the sh@%t out of me!!:gt: Hoping as it breaks in some of the noises will fade...only 360 miles to date.

Cobra'03

Established Member
The clunk is there, but it is also affected by driving style - I find I can all but avoid it by learning to feather the throttle - I accpet it as an idiosyncracy of the car and that is that for me.

The 1st gear whine is normal - any of you older guys remember the Muncie M-22 tranny in GM cars? Nicknamed the Rock Crusher for you youngsters, since it sounded like it was doing just that!

When I put int he Red Line D4 ATF, it seemed to be quietr.

OFF TOPIC:
I still cannot use smilies - it is not disabled on the posting panel, so is there a setting on my Win95 I should check? Thx.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03
OFF TOPIC:
I still cannot use smilies - it is not disabled on the posting panel, so is there a setting on my Win95 I should check? Thx.
Check your board settings (not Win95):

(top of page): User CP
click: Edit Options
(near bottom) Other options - "Use VBCode": make sure it is marked "Yes"

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by Blue98Cobra
Check your board settings (not Win95):

(top of page): User CP
click: Edit Options
(near bottom) Other options - "Use VBCode": make sure it is marked "Yes"

Thanks Blue - I checked and it is already ON so I think it must be as etting on my box - any one else with a suggestion where to look?

Users who are viewing this thread