Drivers window won't roll down when hot day.

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
Alright guys,

I know I am a new member but I would like to think I am a person who researches things well instead of posting something that has been figured out already.

With that being said, I took the cobra out this weekend and here in Seattle is was fairly sunny and decently warm. So I go to roll down my drivers window and no response...... (instantly I remember I have had this problem the last few summers) than as usual later when it cools down it works fine....

I have googled and searched this issue before and the best I have found is "never roll the driver window all the way to the top" which I usually follow the advice of. This way I know if I do go to a drive thru or something I am not that idiot who has to open the car door because the window won't roll down.

I have also seen the hold the button down and slam the door method, as well as the put dielectric grease on the window button and wire connectors.

But what is the real issue with it? has anyone licked this problem? Would a new regulator or motor do the trick>? Or .... What do I really need to do so that the root cause is fixed.

Any ideas or success?

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Could just as easily be the switch. Gotta tear it down and start testing.

I agree with MGoh3. The passenger window on my Vert would not respond when I pressed the switch. Replaced the switch and it worked fine. The window switches are not specific to driver and passenger side, so you can swap the passenger switch to the drivers side to test it.

big dad

Established Member
With the ignition on and the drivers side door open press the up button and observe the dome light, it should dim because of the load. Now press the down button, does the dome light dim? If it does, that indicates that the switch is operating properly and more than likely the motor is bad.

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
I agree with MGoh3. The passenger window on my Vert would not respond when I pressed the switch. Replaced the switch and it worked fine. The window switches are not specific to driver and passenger side, so you can swap the passenger switch to the drivers side to test it.
Thanks for the heads up on that. Was the switch only not working if the window is all the way up? My issue I am seeing is only when the window is all the way up.

If the window is down even just a miniscule amount it works. (Which I read from a mach1 forum to never roll all the way up) I just never found the solution that anyone had figured out the issue of what it really is.

This is a good place to start. Since my issue is the driver's door. I should be able to swap both switches from the same door due to it has a switch for each window and that way I only have to take 1 door panel apart.

Than being here in Seattle it's not always a sunny day and hard to test solutions waiting for a hot day. If I swap the two drivers door switches Incan just to the wait and see test.

Thanks for all the feedback(everyone). If I do end up licking the problem I will post it so others can review it if they occur the same problem.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Thanks for the heads up on that. Was the switch only not working if the window is all the way up? My issue I am seeing is only when the window is all the way up.

My window was all the way up, but instead of messing with it I just bought a new switch and it worked. Since this happened on my Vert I did not want to leave the window cracked at all.

Try this little trick. Hold the window switch and slam the door. This isn't uncommon.

LMAO Brad. I know the Cobra is not a high end vehicle and you got to do what you got to do in an emergency, but I will leave those tricks to those who own jalopies or a POS :D.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
My window was all the way up, but instead of messing with it I just bought a new switch and it worked. Since this happened on my Vert I did not want to leave the window cracked at all.

LMAO Brad. I know the Cobra is not a high end vehicle and you got to do what you got to do in an emergency, but I will leave those tricks to those who own jalopies or a POS :D.
Happened to me a few times Glenn. So my car is now a POS...lol

MG0h3

Established Member
OP I didn't understand what the situation was.

So yes, most likely motor and possibly needs a regulator. Sometimes they come as one unit.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Happened to me a few times Glenn. So my car is now a POS...lol

mine is a POS too.

slam door w/switch depressed was quick, easy, and free. it's a 15 year old car...stuff like this is to be expected.

LMAO!!! I apologize to those who think I was referring to the Cobra as being a POS. I meant I would not want to do that trick to a Cobra unless it was an emergency. I would fix the Cobra and have the window work properly.

When I said I would leave that trick to those who own a POS, I meant cars like old beat up cars that people do not take care of and the interior is shot, headliner falling down, door hinges sagging, taillights with clear red tape, paint fading, dents and dings for visual appeal, bumpers hanging or sagging, holes in the exhaust, etc. You know, a POS LMAO!!!! Basically any car except a Cobra :D.......

Last edited:

3xBlackCobra

Established Member
Sometimes the motors stick. I usually tap the housing with a hammer and large punch when it's gotten stuck a couple times. Always works

Users who are viewing this thread